Glock 17 or Glock 19?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by getem2011, Sep 30, 2011.

1. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

I will be purchasing my first two handguns shortly and have decided on a walther p22 or sig 1911 .22 for planking. any other planking gun suggestions are welcome.

The real question I would like some help with is whether to get a 17 or a 19? Does the 17 have sufficient stopping power? What generation is best? how much will good ammo run me? What other options do you suggest that will not give my wallet a heart attack?

thanks everyone.

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Planking? You mean Plinking I bet.

3. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

To your first statement I would go with the Sig 1911 .22 for two reasons. #1. Its a 1911. #2. It will welcome you to the sickness of 1911 fever which will cause you to wanting another 1911...and another....and another....the walther is a good gun, you can't go wrong with it however, they're pretty freaking picky on ammo.
    To your second statement: the way you wrote it, I don't know if you know they're both 9mm. The 17 is a 4.5" barrel and the 19 a 4" both are an excellent choice. My recommendation is to go to your local shop and pick both up. I have small hands yet I chose the 17 over the 19 (doesn't make a lot of since) some prefer the smaller out of the two but not me. I like a full size gun. Its going to boil down to your likes not everyone else's in the forum. The 9mm is excellent for carry/home defense. The Glock is uber reliable. I prefer my 1911 to carry now over my 17 just b/c bigger caliber. With saying that, I had to practice a lot with the 1911 to feel comfortable carrying it b/c I've been used to a 9mm for awhile. Whatever you decide, good luck. Hope this helped.

4. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

It is basically personal preference. I have 2 19's, a gen 1 and a gen 4. I decided to retire the gen 1 and carry the gen 4. I like the grip of the gen. It is not as aggressive as the RTF, but more aggressive than the basic grip. I never had a problem with the size of the normal 19 grip, but am carrying the gen 4 in the smallest grip size configuration.

5. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

If we are just talking about planking;) I would go with the larger pistol. The longer barrel will give it a bit more power. Plus, the 17 gives you two extra rounds.

Unless you are planning to carry it, I think more firepower is ALWAYS better!!

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

As far as a plinker, there are a lot of great .22s that would serve you well. My personal favorite is the Ruger Mark II.

On the second question I agree with Glasshartt, the size of G19 is perfect for me - and I like the Gen 4 grip using no added backstrap. You don't lose a thing over the G17 except two rounds and even then you can use G17 mags if you want. I have a 23Gen4 and G22 Gen 2 which are 40S&W twins to the 19 and 17. Both work well for me but I do prefer the compact G23.

7. paulbrower

paulbrower New Member

Don't forget, you can get conversion kits to shoot .22 through your Glocks. Wouldn't want to carry with the .22 kits, but it makes plinking a lot cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

8. 32tudor

32tudor New Member

The 19 is better for CCP but does not have capacity of the 17