Glock 17 or 19

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by jcd390, Dec 17, 2012.

1. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

Okay, I am looking to buying my first Glock for my wife and I and was just curious which model you would prefer 17 or 19 and why? Thanks

2. msup752

msup752 New Member

I own both. I carry and shoot my 19 the most. I find little advantage in the 17s longer slide and the 17 rd mags will still work in the 19.

3. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

MSU how much bigger is the 17 than the 19? Can you conceal the 17 if you had too?

4. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

Get the 19. A little easier for female hands. Same accuracy as 17, easier to conceal if neccessary.

5. Squawk

Squawk New Member

M&P. American made.

6. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

I don't think that helps answer my question but thanks for your opinion. :)

7. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

Get the G19.. Easier to conceal and nice to shot at the range. Glocks in general are great to own. Easy to take a part and clean. Thousands of add-ons and holster.

8. msup752

msup752 New Member

The 17 is about a half inch longer and taller than a 19. That half inch makes a difference in concealing.
    It is cold out right now so it is easy to conceal a 17 at the moment. Not so easy during the summer. Gen 4 grips are very nice. My 17 is Gen3 and my 19 is gen 4. I like a smaller grip.

9. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

So you prefer the Gen 4 or the Gen 3? Just curious because I am having a hard locating a Gen 4 here locally.

10. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I have a gen 4 G19. I like it without either of the backstraps. It's thinner that way. It also takes 19 and 17 magazines.

11. locnload

locnload Member

JCD, what does your wife intend to do with it, concealed carry, competition, plinking, home defense, or all of the above? I have both as well as a G26. If CCW is part of her plan I would advise the 19 or maybe even look at the G26. The G17 is a great shooting high capacity gun but can be hard to conceal while the 19 is equaly accurate and only gives up two rounds of capacity with its standard 15 round mags. As many people like to say, "its big enough to fight with and small enough to carry concealed". :)

12. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

locnload, I think we are going with the G19 Gen4. After the research, it appears to be the best all around size. Thanks for all the help!

13. K305

K305 New Member

Glock 19 for the lady, for the record my G17 say Smyrna, Ga.

14. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Smyrna is the HQ of Glock's US operations, and pistols are assembled there, but the manufacturing is done in Austria.

I prefer the 17, but either is a fine choice.

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you are only going to buy one or the other the 19 is the one that is probably the "just right" size for being both shootable and concealable. I shoot my 17 a lot because I bought it in rough shape with the intention of just making it a work mule of a handgun. I liked it so much that I bought a 19 to have something a bit more concealable. The grip length is what i found to be more limiting to carry than the slide length, but that half inch shorter slide is more comfortable with IWB carry. Living a in a hot and humid climate I found that the 26 was even better for hot weather carry when shorts and tee shirts were about the only thing I was wearing.

I do like the longer slide and sight radius for range and competition use that the 17 offers.

Like I said though the 19 is that happy medium.

16. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Lol I see some one is trying to save the OP some trouble. The best thing glock could offer is a good return policy.

17. SSGN_Doc

S&W and Glock both have excellent customer service. The Glock factory in Smyrna, GA was very friendly and went over my 17 and replaced all worn parts and any upgraded parts while I waited at no charge.

Company may be owned by Austrians but many American jobs exist right here in the States. Haven't had any problems with any if the Glocks I've owned. I just happened to be in the area and gave them a call and brought in my police trade in 17 for a once over since it had a high round count. Thought it was nice that they overhauled it for me for free.

18. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Don't worry it was a joke.

19. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Plus I'm sure they would not be so nice if you called and said. "This gun sucks, I won't my money back" but then agin it would be the place you bought it from you would have to complain to.

Seeing as how there customer service is so good and the replaced parts on your gun for free. I wonder if they will replace the bad parts on my week old g23 gen4. Lol

20. SSGN_Doc

Give them a call.