Glock 17 Gen4

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Surftaco, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Surftaco

Surftaco New Member

I just purchased mine. Anyone else have this same gun? Any issues?

I have seen people having a few issues with this gun on the glocktalk forum.

I have also seen plenty of happy people too.

What ammo are you using? Brand and grain?

2. Surftaco

Surftaco New Member

noone? Has the new glock?

3. User Name

User Name New Member

I have the new 19(compact 9mm). Love it. No problems whatsoever. For ammo I use Remington Golden saber 147 grain hollow points for self defense. For target, I use whatever ammo is the cheapest FMJ. Dont use any NOT jacketed ammo (lead ammo). As long as it says FMJ on the box somewhere you are good.

4. Surftaco

Surftaco New Member

Found this on Glock Talk....

Range trip with Gen4 G17 - Page 2 - Glock Talk

One guy said to start off with 124gr ammo then move to 115gr after 100 rds.

All I have right now is Federal's 115gr ammo. Should I go buy some 124gr and fire it through it to "break it in".

What do you guys think?

I found RWS 9mm 124gr at Wally-World for 16.97. :confused:

5. User Name

User Name New Member

I have never heard that. I started off with 115 gr target cheap rounds.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If you are looking for a hot PD round take a look at Buffalo Bore's #24A.

It's my carry load for my BHP. Shoots like a 9mm but hits like a .45ACP!

9mm Luger +P+

7. Surftaco

Surftaco New Member

thats good news. Hopefully its just a small number that are having some issues. KNock on wood!

8. User Name

User Name New Member

Glock is one of the most durable combat pistols out there. 9mm is also a firearm friendly round meaning that it is not that abusive on the pistol itself UNLIKE the .40. I would start with 115gr for target and whatever nice ammo you choose for defense.

9. Surftaco

Surftaco New Member

Thank you for the great information!

10. User Name

User Name New Member

No problem! Post up after you get to shoot it and let us know how you like it. Also for some reason MOST people on this forum do not really like glocks :confused:. I dont know why, I love mine. But its just me and a few other glock fans on here, most people though on here atleast seem to be XD fanboys.

11. The_Rican

The_Rican New Member

Well I have a new Glock 23 and no problems at all. I love my Glock so much that I am thinking about buying another one, Glock 27.

Surftaco: I use 40 S&W HydraShok for self defense.

12. Surftaco

Surftaco New Member

LOL Good to know.

13. betheglock

betheglock New Member

Glock 17 Gen 4 Frame Chipping?

Hi. Can anyone tell me if this is normal, or if they have seen it on other Glocks? I just bought a new Gen 4 Glock 17 and needless to say, I'm having some buyer's remorse. I traded in my Glock 17 RTF for this one and immediately started noticing problems. The dual recoil spring keeps getting caught and impeding the slide from moving forward when being reassembled. After this happened a few times, I took the gun apart to inspect it more closely and found that the frame is chipped on both sides just to the rear of where the dust cover starts. There are two chips on both sides just below the front guide rails. I included some pics of this below. At first I thought this was normal because the chips on both sides look almost identical. There are two of them on each side in almost the exact same spot. I also included a shot of the area where the recoil spring keeps caught upon reassembly. Also, I'm always making sure to seat the guide rod properly in the barrel "half-moon" area before I reassemble it.

Thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

14. Surftaco

Surftaco New Member

that sucks. I havent fired mine yet.

15. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

That's why I am a Sigma fanboy.:eek:

16. User Name

User Name New Member

That is definatly not normal.

17. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I do not have the Glock 17 but I did purchase my wife a Glock 19. I have never really been a big fan of the Glock so I can not tell you much about it. Yet my wife uses one at work so I decided to get one for her daily carry. She seems to like it and is a seasoned shooter so I trust her judement.

18. Surftaco

Surftaco New Member

Finally!!!!

Went to the range and fired 300 rounds with out a hitch!!!

Im impressed! Loving my Glock 17 Gen4!

I used Wal-mart Cheapies! 115gr Federal FTW! :D

19. User Name

User Name New Member

There ya go, glad you like your glock! The cheapest 9mm I have seen was at bass pro, winchester sxz9, when I bought some last it was 1299 a box. That was a few months ago.

20. Surftaco

Surftaco New Member

Wal-mart has the Federals for 9.97 a box! Have you checked your walmarts?