Glock 17 Gen 2

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Rust, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Rust

Rust New Member

Can you get a conversion barrel for the Glock 17? I like the 9 mil but also want to shoot different calibers without having to buy different ones in different calibers?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

What other calibers? The issue you would run into would be the extractor hook shape and position, breech face dimensions to allow the back of the cartridge case to lay flush, and the ejector position, being able to push against the empty shell case as the slide travels rearward.

So, any cartridge that doesn’t have a similar shell diameter would require a slide and barrel most likely.

You will see more conversions available for 10mm and 40, because it is easier to go down in size while preserving function, than it is to go up.

Then one must consider the frame strength.

.40 cal Glocks had an extra pin, and different locking block, than the 9mm pistols, to beef them up a bit.

Gen 2 would definitely still been a 9mm focused pistol. Best caliber conversion would be a .22 kit, upper half.

3. Rust

Rust New Member

Thank you. Tbh it sounds like a hassle. I should probably just invest in one that is more easily converted. That said I really do like the 9 for general duty.

SSGN_Doc likes this.
  4. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to the forum, rust. There is lots of good people with lots of information to soak up. Stop by the introductions when you get a chance and tell us a bit about yourself.

PeeJay1313 likes this.
  5. SSGN_Doc

One of the most versatile for converting will be one in .40.

You can convert it to .357 Sig, or 9mm with minimal issues. So, a 22 or 23 would be worth considering. Sometimes you can find one of the .357 Sig chambered pistols for less, because the cartridge never got popular (I actually really like it, but don’t shoot it that often.) Then converting to .40 and 9mm is the same. Just conversion barrels.

locutus likes this.
  6. SSGN_Doc

Also, a Gen 2 Glock 17 has been a favorite “workhorse” pistol in my collection.

It has been used for working up handloads, testing factory loads, training, drills, competition, and carry. Done a few modifications along the way, but it’s been a solid performing pistol. Only times it has missed a beat has been ammo induced, when I got hand loads dialed down too light to function.

[​IMG]

Rifling82 likes this.