Glock 17 for a LC9?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by thdrduck, Jul 5, 2012.

1. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Talked with my local dealer today about trading my Glock 17 for a Ruger LC9 or a Nano. I've had the Glock almost exactly 1 year love everything about the gun but it's size. I need to CC about 2 months out of the year and found the Glock hard to hide under cloths so am looking for something smaller but still in 9mm. He said based on what I told him it would be a even trade. Any comments?? I usually don't get rid of guns, just add but in this case don't see the need for 2 autoloaders.

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Both seems to be a solid pistol but there really are not any bad pistols out there. CW9 kahr, M&P shield Glock 26 and use one of your extra 17 mags for range trips. Your trade, there will be folks that prefer each and every pistol in your size needs and price.

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I would also recommend a Glock 26. The Lc9 almost seems like you are trading down.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If you're dealing with a dealer he ain't exactly going to trade dollar for dollar-
    He's there to make a buck :eek:

5. marc29th

marc29th New Member

A used Glock 17 for a new Ruger LC9 sounds about right. I love my LC9 for EDC but it is not the most fun range gun out there. So if you can swing it I'd say keep the Glock if you can and pick up the LC9 to go with it.

6. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

marc29th, that's what I thought. I don't do any range time... my range is off my deck. I put a box through every once in a while to keep in practice. honestly, my 17 is the first hand gun I have ever been any good with. Wouldn't mind keeping it, but just don't see that I have a use for it. Maybe I should take my single six in and see what he can do for me and keep the Glock. Never could hit anything with the single six. I'm so confused.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I agree if your accurate with the glock unload something else to get the LC9 . never give up a good shooting gun your accurate with

8. marc29th

marc29th New Member

If you just put a box of rounds though it every once in awhile just one my do it for you. The LC9 is double action only and a long trigger pull, some people don't care for it. I have a friend of mine who just can get used to it he pulls the trigger about 1/2 way back and expects the gun to fire. I got used to it just find as did others I shoot with. If there is a range near by I say try one out if you can as it'll be different trigger than the Glock.

9. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Have you tried any of the sub compact glocks? I dont remember the model but i have shot the 9mm subcompact and it was very accurate at 10-15 yards

10. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Oh and we were shooting federal ammo. It was either 115 or 147 both fmj

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

For about $60-70 you can send your trigger parts in have them " fixed" and put the lighter springs in it when they come back in stock , put in heavier recoil springs to eliminate some recoil and have one hell of a fine gun . :)
    http://www.gallowayprecision.com/lc9performanceparts.html

check out the beginning 1:20 and end 18:45 of ther video on the trigger pull . HUGE difference

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaqTBnU8ouw[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I'm not a Glock fan but KEEP THE G-17 & trade off the Ruger----
    I can tell buy your "voice" thats what you want to do :D
    Trust me- you'll have a use for it ;)

13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I considers buying the LC9 until I shot it. Trigger was heavy and recoil was a little snappy for my taste. I opted for the Ruger SR9c and was happy I did. I can put the mag extended on and shoot it with a full size grip or remove it and use the shorter may for concealing. Good little gun. I also liked the Glock 26 as well.

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I've had a SR9c about 2 yrs- Great shooter :cool:

15. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Great advice Hossfly! You heard me loud and clear. I polished up the Bisley and dug out the box (can't believe I still have the box for that thing!). I'll take both the Glock and the Six tomorrow and I believe I'll be coming home with a Glock and LC9 or Nano. Know if I shed the 17 I would regret it. Last gun I got rid of was a black powder revolver I wore out and traded for a radial arm saw back in the 80's.

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Great :)
    If you "listen" you can hear what most are "saying" ;)
    Gud luck tradin- I'd rather do a gun trade than eat :D
    BTW- I never could shot them Bisleys for squat myself :eek:

17. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Have you thought about another holster? Like a crossbreed or Tommy theis? The crossbreed hid my 17 very well even in the summer. And that's a damn trade down on guns bud!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

If you "love everything about the (Glock 17) but it's size" I would look hard at the G19 and G26. They are everything the G17 is but smaller.

19. bostonscottkelly

bostonscottkelly New Member

Noone could say the lc9 wouldn't be easier to conceal.....however, trading a Glock 17 for an lc9 solely for concealment reasons does not seem sensible....with that being said the lc9 is a fantastic pistol you should consider adding to your collection

20. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Been "listening" intently. I am keeping the Glock. I hate regrets. I have a Bisley single six that is pretty but I really don't care about. Don't even remember that last time I shot it. Feel it's kinda stupid to keep cleaning something you never use and really don't like. Some people love em so it can go to a new home where it can get the attention it deserves but the Glock stays here. As far as a "new" holster... for my needs when I cc I need a smaller package. I collect property taxes for about 2 months out of the year and some people pay in cash (I don't know why???) so I end up with huge amounts of cash on hand, in a small office by myself, right off the highway and advertised when I'll be there. That is just begging for something bad to happen. However, I don't need Ole and Lena or Mildred and Oscar spotting my big ol honkin Glock strapped to my butt and freakin out:eek: so just want something smaller, easier to hide but still speaks with authority. As far as day to day, I don't live in an urban area so my self defense would be against bear, cougar or wolf and I don't care if they see my Glock.:D Thanks for every ones input, you guys are great!