Glimmer of Hope for Illinois?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Balota, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

This just in from the NRA website:
    -----------------------------------
    Respect for the Second Amendment in Illinois' Largest County

Posted on August 24, 2012

On Tuesday, the Springfield, Illinois, State Journal-Register reported that the state's attorney in McLean County (Bloomington area) announced that he would not enforce certain Illinois gun control laws that violate the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. In particular, the county's top prosecutor, Ronald Dozier, singled out the Illinois law that requires a person to possess a Firearm Owners Identification Card to be able to buy a gun.

"Our message is this," Dozier said. "We will no longer use the power and authority of our office to criminalize and punish decent, otherwise law-abiding citizens who choose to exercise the rights granted to them by the Second Amendment of the United States' Constitution to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and their families.” Dozier also noted that Illinois is the only state that still prohibits people from carrying concealed weapons.

Prospective firearm carriers take note, however: McLean County Sheriff Mike Emery, while agreeing with Dozier about the conflict between the Second Amendment and the Illinois gun control laws, said his office would continue to enforce the laws in their present form. Thus, as Dozier said, his decision is largely "symbolic."
    ----------------------------
    Sounds like a pretty strange arrangement. The Sheriff will still arrest people who violate the unconstitutional laws, but the Prosecutor does not intend to prosecute them? Still, someone fairly high up in Illinois government has taken a public stand. It's just a glimmer, but it's better than pitch black darkness...

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Yup , Its going to have to happen by county because the rest of the douchebag senators in this state wont help keep us safe. Im just one county over and I hope it happens here.

3. opaww

opaww New Member

As I always say, the peoples have to free themselfs. They cannot ever be free if someone else does it for them.

There may just be a small glimmer of hope for Il.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I don't mind the FOID card so much as I would like to conceal carry.

5. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

It's not something you should have to put up with though. You have an ID already. That should be the only firearms authentication card you need :cool:

6. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Personally, I think any law abiding citizen with a US passport should be able to carry, concealed or otherwise. Any state, county or local laws that further restrict that right, by virtue of that restriction, "infringe". I'm pretty much OK with the idea that convicted felons, psychopaths and Democrats (oh, sorry, that was redundant :rolleyes:) should be restricted. Sucks that Illinois is the remaining holdout on concealed carry. Also sucks that some of the other states (NJ, NY, ...) are just about as bad.

7. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Dozier is the temporary appointed prosecutor of McLean county. He will go away after the new elected prosecutor takes office in January.

8. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I live in IA but work in IL and the county I work in is putting Concealed Carry on the ballot this fall.