Glen Field mod 60

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by willshoum, Mar 1, 2010.

1. willshoum

willshoum New Member

I bought this Rilfle several Years ago. The stock has two squirrels engraved, one on each side of the stock. It holds 18 long rifle. Ser. # 24278123. It was very acurate out to 100 yards and more. I ruined it by shooting Remington gold hollow point. It seems this ammo leaves to much burnt powder in the ejection area. This hollow point is not made for auto loaders. Im looking for parts to swap out. Barrel and stock are in great shape. I just need the inards. Wills in da swamp in La. One shot One kill.

2. Catfish

Catfish Member

3. willshoum

willshoum New Member

G F Mod 60

Thanks Catfish. Wills in da swamp in La. One shot one Kill.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

How do you think you ruined your Model 60? Just take the gun apart and clean it.

I wish all you guy's that bad mouth Remington ammo would just send it all to me.I have 5-6 guns that have always loved the stuff,including my Model 60 and Ruger 10/22T.

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

You didn't ruin your model 60 by shooting Remington ammo in it. All it needs is a disassembly and darn good cleaning. Try cleaning it before going to extremes such as replacing parts. Model 60s are known to not like being particularly cruddy.

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

7. willshoum

willshoum New Member

G.F. Mod 60

Praise the lord and pass the ammo. You all made my day. Can't say thank you enough. Thumbs up Jpattesonnh. But I will not shoot Rim. hollow point in this gun again. I'll save the ones that don't fire and give these away. I shoot this ammo in my Bolt 881 and all I have to worry about is miss fire and a dirty barrel. Thanks again Wills in da swamp in La. One Shot One Kill........

8. jpattersonnh

You will be suprised at how easy it is to clean. Best of luck. JP

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Fouling is the #1 problem in .22 rimfire firearms. Between the powder residue and the waxy, greasy bullet lube they get gummed up rather quickly. I have found that a good cleaning will restore the proper functioning of most such "problem" guns.

I have had a Marlin/Glenfield model 60 for about 30 years. It still works fine even though it is pretty much worn out.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As the folks have said- Clean- I say CLEAN that filthy rifle, son! And something to consider- as Frank Perdue of chicken fame has said- parts is parts. However, in firearms, ONE part is not a part- that is the frame (properly called the receiver) By law, THAT part IS the firearm. You will not be able to buy a frame from Numrich for ANY gun (they stopped selling them some time back). And you cannot buy one without doing the same things you need to do when you buy a complete rifle. And you cannot buy one from across a state line without having it shipped to a dealer.

If you had not changed oil, filter, or air filter in your car for 50,000 miles, and it was acting funny, you would not toss it out, would you? I shoot a LOT of 22 rimfire- even the very good stuff is dirty, and leaves carbon, wax, grease, lead, brass rubbings, etc. Autoloaders are going to HAVE to be cleaned from time to time. Some of the spray cleaners (for guns) can make flushing the crap out of the trigger group a lot easier.

11. Jeehs

Jeehs New Member

I find that in all of my firearms, (With the Execption of my .270 and Double Barrel),that Remington Ammo seems to have a little bit better groups and damage. But it's a dirty round, Often requiring cleanings to be more frequent than with other ammos, Federal to be specific.

For that 60' amazing little rifle, But its got to be clean. Mine was recently working like a dud, After I stripped and Cleaned it, It works like a charm!

12. RadioActiV

RadioActiV New Member

i just ran about 100 rounds through my marlin 60 today(will post pics of gun and target's later) using the rem.gold hollow point and i had no trouble with it at all clean that thang and be done with it them marlins are hard to beat up but if they are dirty you'll be in a pickle

13. Jeehs

Jeehs New Member

Yea Even with it being dirty to my 60' I can still run about 200-250 rounds before a cleaning is needed, I find with Federal ammo its just around 300 rounds, So its not a big difference.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

You can clean a model 60? Just kidding! They can really get clogged up deep down. I know too many people that lock the bolt back, run a brush and patch though, and think they have cleaned a gun. It's so much more than that. I know that I am probably preaching to the choir. But, a rifle needs to be totaly disassembled on a regular basis.

15. jpattersonnh

Will, your box is full. I can't respond. Please delete some messages.

16. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Wellll.....the ONE thing he MIGHT have killed internally is the plastic buffer.

As he pointed out, it's a 1970's Squirrel-Stock 18-round mag Marlin 60.

Which means, usually, it's high time to replace the buffer & the recoil spring.

The original buffer is white plastic, the new ones are Black.
    [​IMG]

You can call Marlin and order direct from them...or Numrich, or Brownell's...etc...

I betcha if you were born in the 70's your buffer ain't so springy anymore either ;)