Glaser Safety Slugs?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by angeLoaded, Mar 30, 2011.

1. angeLoaded

angeLoaded New Member

I know that airmarshalls use Glaser for ammunition but I'd like to know if any of you have used Glaser Slugs at the firing range, or even in a self-defense situation?

Any thoughts on this type of ammo?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

its a super light bullet with very weak construction. its got very very poor penetration which is prolly why air marshalls use them. planes get grumpy if your sending hard hitting bullets into computerized control modules and hydraulic lines.

my opinion:

for SD purposes stick with hollowpoint rounds of traditional lead with copper jacket construction.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Better check duty loads for air marshalls. There WERE specialty loads (I have a few) but they were found......lacking. I DO have some Glasers- but I carry JHP. Same as my local sheriff's dept.

In case I am ever in court, and someone asks WHY I chose THAT cartridge to shoot the goblin in my front hall, I plan to point to the bailiff, and say "Because that is what THEY are issued."

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

5. angeLoaded

angeLoaded New Member

So its a no-go with the Glasers? Just thought I'd ask, because they seem pretty pricey.

6. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

There are Glaser Blue and Glaser Silver. The Silver are supposed to provide better penetration, but I can't afford to confirm or deny that in my own experience.

Remember, since the weight is different, they will fire differently than what you practice with. You'll not likely go to the range and burn off 50 rounds to get a feel, so I'd personally stick with the ammo you train with.

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

What is your living situation, not trying to be too personal. Before you say Glasers are a "no-go" based on what one person said, I urge you to consider the dwelling you live in.

8. angeLoaded

angeLoaded New Member

well I noticed your comment above in regards to the apartment scenario, and I totally agree. However I live in a 1 story home but the hallway seems a little tight where the doors to the bedrooms are fairly close. Too close to maneuver a shotgun effectively at least.

9. angeLoaded

angeLoaded New Member

I've only been able to find the Glaser Blues, I have yet to see the silvers.

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I understand, but are there loved ones or little ones on the other side of the walls or the doors?

If you saw what the blue Glaser did to a stack of wet newspapers, I think you would agree that the stopping power is quite good. Plus, they won't penetrate walls and family like other S/D rounds could.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  11. angeLoaded

angeLoaded New Member

yes my two sons stay in one room and my parents in another, we are all next to each other with my wife and I's room in the center.

I've tried finding sample videos on the internet for Glaser slugs but I wasnt able to find any.

12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Then you HAVE to consider over-penetration. That's all I'm gonna say.

Good luck!

13. orangello

orangello New Member

14. angeLoaded

angeLoaded New Member