Giving anonymously?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Mercator, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Yes to both.

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. I will donate at a cash register, but not to a beggar.

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. I will donate to a beggar, but not at a cash register.

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. No to both.

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

You see a beggar at the stoplight. You have no time or inclination to talk to him/her. Will you typically give a buck just for the asking?

The register at a gas station asks if you want to donate a buck to a children's charity. What's your most likely response?

Non-judgemental, totally unscientific poll. Vote you MOST LIKELY action, on an average day, being your most normal self.

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I generally do not just hand out cash or elect to give thru a retailer. I have been known to go purchase grocery store gift cards on occasion and hand those out but, I save my charitable giving for organizations that give tax receipts.

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Was posted by Rick in a duplicate thread. Saved as a quote.

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Copied from a duplicate thread, as a quote from rncindy

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I pay taxes. The government turns it into charity. :mad:

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I go with my instinct, because I have no firm conviction either way.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I have bought food, groceries, gas, and donated time at habitat for humanity and the county veterans association. I also have payroll deductions for Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society. I typically don't hand out cash. We sponsor one of the kids in a school in Africa that our church sponsors, with monthly donations and usually enough to buy a chicken and dairy goat at Christmas.

I guess I feel better knowing how my money gets used. One of the things I hate about taxes and government driven "charity" or corporate charities with high overhead.

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

A generous donation in your name has been made to The Humane Fund. :p

9. Flatblack79

Flatblack79 New Member

I will give food or water. Never money

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I will donate to the "Independence Fund" (tracked wheel chairs for disabled vets)

To "specific projects" at my church.

To "wounded warrior Project."

But most of my charity goes directly, and anonymously to local individuals and family who have suffered personal catastrophy through no fault of their own.

I recently made a rather generous (for me) donation to a rural volunteer firefighter whose disabled husband got cancer and needed some really expensive treatment.

I can check out local folks and know who really needs help.

11. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I dont hand out money from cars or at cash registers.
    Over the years I have learned to restrict my charity giving to certain organizations.
    I give mainly to the Salvation Army, but do give to selected others.
    BUT, I am a pushover at girl scout cookie time, and when kids come to the door selling for their school projects.

12. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Are you aware WWP is extremely anti firearm?

13. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I have given a good bit to WWP. I've read they (or at least the CEO/President figure) is anti-gun, but at the same time they use money they get to take vets out on hunting trips and range trips. The money (or time if you volunteer) goes to a good cause, helping those who have been wounded (mentally and/or physical) in the line of fire for our country. Regardless of what the CEO stands for, they get my support for what they do for our vets. St. Jude's and a couple other places get donations regularly (yes, even if it's at the checkout line at Walmart).

14. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

I go with my gut in all cases, which means I almost NEVER give to a beggar along the road or working a parking lot, nor to a cash-register can.
    Our church is very small, and we vote on what to do with discretionary funds there, which amounts to all donations minus insurance and utilities.
    We support, monthly, the Salvation Army and the International Fellowship of Christians and Jews. Special support for other needs is voted on, case by case.

When I was much younger, I got taken in a couple times by beggars, and learned my lesson. Almost all of them are simply too lazy to work.
    Next time you see a "will work for food" sign, stop and tell them you will take them home, let them mow your lawn, then feed them a good meal.
    Dollars to donuts they will refuse.

15. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

Wounded Warrior Project?
    Not when Steven Nardizi is pulling over a third of a million dollars per year from your donations.

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Some donations, yes.
    But I've seen too many "beggars" get into their car at the end of the day (and the car is nicer than mine).
    Those "donation" jars have had too many false causes. Many (not all) have ended up going to people who do not even have children.

17. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I do not give money to street beggars, many of whom are pros. Neither do I like giving money to large charities, with large operating budgets and large salaries.

My wife and I give generously through local charities that are run by volunteers. We usually give products, not cash. We will be told of a family that is in need, what they need, and we will buy it and give it over to the charity for delivery. We never know the names or other details of the people and they never know who gave it.

My wife especially enjoys Christmas shopping for kids since ours are grown and we have no grandchildren. She will get a list of the ages, gender, and needs of the kids in a family and buy like we did for our own kids. (They get nice stuff)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  18. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

They are begging from the wrong person if they are asking me and Im not paying a buck for a piece of paper to hang in the store for a week that I really have no clue will help anyone. Friends and neighbors that arent beggers receive any benevolence I may have in my account after I pay everyone else! Mandatory charity has been co-opted by the Gov and paid for in my taxes so they should be knocking on Uncle Sugars door not mine! Charity and politics both start at home and for me thats where they both matter the most.

Short story. Driving down the road, to get parts on a beautiful summer Saturday, WF 38 is in another city with 4 other guys working his balls off to earn extra money. I drive by a crap house with a bunch of shaggy rag bags dressed in cutoff BDU's hanging outside getting wasted and cooking BBQ. They put up a sign that says "Veterans need food, Please donate" and a box to toss money at them.

If I werent on a mission and there had been a place to pull over, they would have gotten more than the look of death and the universal peace sign. 2 out of 4 of us working our asses off that weekend were Vets, the same two that dont ever get Veterans day off! I would have loved to leave a donation in that box, a freshly minted Stanly Steamer! Some people have nerve....

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  19. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i think with street beggars, giving them water and packaged food is the best thing to do. too many have substance abuse issues that probably shouldn't be supported.

certain "pay at the register" charities are very legit and helpful. one that comes to mind is the ronald mcdonald house....this charity is REALLY good, and helps a lot of good families get through though times with children who are having serious health concerns. i always put a few bucks in those.

as a christian, i believe in charity and tithing....as many of you do. if you are doing well, its always good to freely give something back imo.

my favorite charities are almost always to help children....as they truly cannot help themselves and are not to blame for the position they might be in.

20. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Do you have a cite that they actually do that? I can't find anything on their website suggesting they do.