Firearms Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Break-top that is.

Truthfully, I can't remember how I came by these, but you can bet they were cheap. They are really just curiosity pieces. Their greatest value is probably in the good grip panels on all three. I have shot two of them, and they work fine, I haven't shot the .38 H&R , it is probably in the best overall condition, but it is black powder.

The H&R, (auto ejecting second model) with the target grips, may well have sat in some cowboy Saturday night poker games. It is a .38. A .38 S&W cartridge will load fine in it, but I wouldn't shoot a modern powder shell in it for any reason. The other two are .32 S&W cartridge. They all three lock up and index fine.

The .32 S&W cartridge was more deadly before WWI than it is now. A point-blank gut wound would pretty much assure a miserable death in about three days, in the days before
DSCN1001.JPG
anti-biotics. I don't have a clue what the ballistics are in the .32 S&W, but it is quite weak.

·
Premium Member
11,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
While I am at it, and have the camera out, here is another curiosity piece. Hopkins and Allen, XL No 2, in .32 rimfire. Patented in 1871. It is a tiny thing, for a six shot revolver, just right for up your sleeve. It has seen better days. The firing pin looks like it was deliberately broken. I am betting the piece became a kid's toy, and daddy made damn sure he couldn't load it up. That is because, you and I both know what we would have done when we were 8 or 9. ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 14 of 14 Posts