Give away gun

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Seanbo123, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Seanbo123

Seanbo123 New Member

Lets just say my daughter is getting married to this guy. Hes a nice boy and i want him to be protected and be able to protect my little baby girl, he doesnt have a firearm so i want ro get him a little home defense and all round protection firearm any suggestions, im thinking glock or colt but open for suggestions :)

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Get him a gift certificate at a sporting goods store.

This way, he selects which he wants and you get a background check on him.

3. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Why not get it for your daughter?

Break into my daughter's home and you'd come face-to-face with my son-in-law...standing right behind my daughter and her Ruger SP101 in 357 Magnum pointed your way.:eek: It's always good to have backup (?son-in-law?), but never count on backup in place of being prepared.

4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

If ya can afford it, get em both one.

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

There are two good answers:

1) A shotgun, 12ga or 20ga. Probably the first firearm any pro-gun household ought to incorporate.

2) A pistol. No reason to narrow it down too much. Many calibers can work, but 9mm or 357mag are the probably the most sensible launching points.

6. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Smith 637. Prices are just under $375. One for each.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Most excellant idea :cool:

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Sean,

Be sure they are both trained and proficient with the weapon not just one!
    From experience ladies learn very quickly since they listen and have no bad habits! I would think a Glock Model 23 in 9mm would be an excellent choice for them to learn with. Reasonably priced, low recoil and ammunition is readily available for the 9mm and some at a reasonable price if there is such a thing as reasonable price these days. The 23 is a middle sized pistol which should fit both of them very well and fair for concealed carry. And accurate enough to build the confidence in a new shooter when target shooting which is important. Only my thoughts! Good luck on your selection. And I must say you are a good Father in Law!

9. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

Glock 23 is a .40 cal. 9mm is a good first round though !!

10. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Exactly...the 19 would be the same size gun but in 9mm

11. DodgeThis

DodgeThis New Member

You can get me one too :D

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

That's a great idea. I wish I had a background check on my son in law!!!

13. mercman50

mercman50 New Member

I would agree smith 637. Keep it simple if it's for defense. If its a home security issue I don't want my daughter having to remember whether she's got one in the chamber or how to operate a safety. Obviously training is imperative but at night adrenaline flowing, fear spiking, etc.. But I would also suggest a crimson trace laser grip. Something about that red dot centering on your chest and every bad guy in the world knows whats at the other end of that red dot.

14. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

If she hasn't yet married him, send 'em to a sporting goods store now, and get the background check before the wedding. Also make sure your daughter gets a gun whether he does or not.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's too late.

When my daughter gets married, if some guy has the stones to ask for her hand, she will take her own arsenal with her.

When you raise them to be independent, you have few worries!

The only downside, if done right, they tend to out shoot the teacher in short order. Still brings a smile to this old crusty mug every range trip. :p

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ah we all know that your a crusty old varmint cane.....with a major soft spot for your daughter. Yes they usually do tend to out shoot the teacher bit hey its part of the fun.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

17. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

"God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did"
    Yep, we's all equal, but some is mo' equal than others :D

18. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Look at the positive side - your daughter is getting married, AND getting married to a GUY. You musta done something right...

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yep so very true;)

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

20. Seanbo123

Seanbo123 New Member

Haha i guess i did, and to add to it, hes a nice guy not alittle punk that u catch comin through your daughters window and chatin late night thing LOL haha but yea better be a guy than a girl