Girsan MC1911S thoughts

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Kryptoglow, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Kryptoglow

Kryptoglow New Member

I just got this model and am impressed with the gun minus the grip screws and sights trouble.

I took it to a FFL friend the other day and he immediately bad mouthed the gun for being from Turkey. He challenged me to a shoot out betting his Kimber against my Girsan. I told him I wouldn't put mine up against his junk:) Of course Kimbers are not junk but I felt he deserved it. He quickly went out back and shot 5 shots at a 3" target with his kimber and hit it once at 30yds. I offered him mine to try and he smirked then quickly fired 2 rds hitting the target both times :) Needless to say he's been grumpy since the other day.

2. new_girsan_1911

new_girsan_1911 New Member

Lmao yeah like the saying goes "dont knock it til you have tried it" Its a good gun aside from the obvious faults you and most of us that have them have found out by trying to modify them.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

So what's the point? I'd buy a Girsan before I'd own a Kimber.....hell, for the money I could buy two or three Girsan's.

Rub that in his face. [​IMG]

4. new_girsan_1911

Cane bout time you pipe up and say something seems like you havent said anything in a few weeks. :D

5. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

6. new_girsan_1911

7. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

No thanks necessary:D

8. Kryptoglow

Kryptoglow New Member

I think I'll do a video of me replacing the bushings. The head on the girsan screws is too big for standard grips as most of you know. The threads are M3 on the girsan
    I ordered the standard .236 x 60 tap from midway and some standard bushings and screws from another source.
    Either I'll fix it or ruin it. While I'm waiting for the bushings... I'll have to find out which bit to use before the tap. I think midway said 7/32" was needed but I need to verify that. I'll update either with video or pics.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  9. new_girsan_1911

Ok got a question for yall, I am fixin to have my slide on my Girsan milled to Novak specs and wanted to know what would be the best way to treat the milled surface back towards the hammer that is going to be covered by the rear sight? I dont want this area to rust on me.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

what type of finish and metal is the slide? mostly that area will be covered by the sight, but you are right about wanting to treat it in some way to prevent rust.

11. new_girsan_1911

Its Hard chrome on the side but the top looks bead blasted.

12. Axxe55

could you post a picture? does it look similar to gloss stainless steel?

my American Classic Commander did have a hard chrome finish, but i bead blasted mine several times and blued it. it looked like SS before i blasted it. it should be steel underneath the chrome finish, but i am at a loss as to what to use to try and match it. maybe we can come with something.

13. new_girsan_1911

Yeah i thought about just painting it but dont think that would hold up to oiling and a guy at work said to have it powder coated not sure how well that would hold up either.

Attached Files:

14. Axxe55

very similar to the finish on my AC Commander. the hard chrome is just that a finish on top of the steel. once it's machined it's going to expose the raw material and it will need something to prevent rusting. just not for sure as to what would work to match it though. you could use some touch-up blueing, but it wont match the rest of the slide.

well Girsan, i'm stumped!:confused:

15. new_girsan_1911

Do you think powder coating it would hold up to the oiling?

16. Axxe55

powder coating is pretty tuff stuff and it probably wouldn't need oiling if it was properly. maybe a clear powedercoating? just an idea.

17. new_girsan_1911

Clear? Didnt think of that good idea. :) and i wasnt sayin oil the powder coat, was just thinking if oil did get rubbed onto it, if it would take it off or bubble it up.

18. Axxe55

powdercoating done properly is tuff stuff! really tuff! you cant beat it off with a hammer and it's hard as hell to even sand it off, even with a sander. iw ouldn't do the slide rails as it can change the tolerances and cause fitment issues.

19. new_girsan_1911

Cool, and i was just gonna have the area where it is being machined done. Thanks for the info and idea Axxe

20. Axxe55

that was something i was thinking about too. make sure they use the heat resistant tape made for use with powdercoating.

you're welcome and hope i helped you out. and good luck and post a couple of pictures when it's finished. looking forward to seeing it.