girls don't like guns...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by bohica83, Apr 13, 2011.

1. bohica83

bohica83 New Member

So I'm looking into getting my wife a pistol, but I'm in a pickle about what to get her. Something semi-auto, compact, but will still ruin your day if she has to use it. I have an XD .45 and she likes shooting it, but a bit too much kick for her. So xd or sig or fnp? 9 or 380 or 40 cal? Any insight?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Welcome.

Any small pistol, other than rimfire, is going to have more felt recoil than your XD - just physics. Everything is a compromise when looking for an effective defensive handgun, size, weight, caliber, etc. I'd suggest heading out to a range that has rentals and try a few out. As far as caliber, I'd avoid .40 if recoil is an issue as they are very snappy guns - especially in compacts. T'was I in your shoes, I'd focus on 9mm guns and the question is whether this will be carried or kept at home...

3. FirstSergeant

FirstSergeant New Member

My wife and daughter handle my FNP-9 well. (FNX is the current model) recoil real or percieved can affect different people in different ways. As a general rule, don't get too small or light of a gun. A service size pistol will help. Iv'e seen too many people get small frame 380's thinking they are mouse guns and turn out to be a handfull for the female friend.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I expect a lot of folks will chime in about a snubby revolver - great guns but not the easiest to shoot well. My wife hated all the snubs she tried...

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I got my wife started shooting with a 6" 357 feeding it 38s. She became comfortable and confident with it. It got to the point where I wanted her to have something of her own. I ended up with a Ruger SP101(NGIB, here comes the snubbies). It was smaller, which she liked and it fit her hand well. It's also got a little bit of weight to it so recoil is manageable with 38 +ps even for my wife who is recoil sensitive.
    As mentioned snub nosed revolvers aren't known to be the easiest to shoot but for a defensive gun the accuracy out of the SP is more then acceptable. My wife can easily hit a 4-6" circle at 15 yards.

I tried to get her into a semi auto and she after one magazine she was done. Take her to a place that rents some guns and see if you can let her try a 9mm XD(if she likes the feel of your 45) or a revolver and see which one she likes better.

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Spittty, you know I like the SP101 and it's one of the few snubbies I'd recommend as it has enough weight not to be really difficult to shoot. The aluminium/scandium framed snubbies are the ones that can be a real bear to master...

7. spittinfire

Oh yeah, I shot a Taurus airweight 38 snub and it was a handful. It was not plesant to shoot nor was it easy to shoot.

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

And someone had the bright idea of chambering the LCR in .357. :rolleyes:

9. spittinfire

And part of me still wants one.:cool:

10. KBlue

KBlue New Member

My dad bought my mom a Beretta Cheetah 84FS. During family range time, I found it to be far and away the most fun I've had shooting a .380 (He also has a PPK and P3AT). The grip makes recoil virtually unnoticeable. Shooting tight groups at self defense range is a friggin' cakewalk.

My personal preference for sub-compact weapons is .40 (until Springfield makes a sub-compact XD in .45 auto, of course). If the Mrs. doesn't like .40; let her shoot a few cylinders of .357 out of a snubbie. Switch back to the .40, .40 feels amazing! Everyone wins!

11. Wambli

Wambli Member

Women will surprise you everytime. They approach gun selection without preconceived notions and better yet they refuse to listen to anyone but their hearts. I've had women successfuly learn to shoot a Scandium S&W snubbie J frame in one day because no one told them they couldn't and they LISTENED!!!

After a LOT of trial and many errors in my part, both my wife and my daughter LOVE Kahrs. The slim grip and simple ergonomics make it an ideal female gun and I can tell you Dad does not mind borowing them at times.

My wife also loves her Kimber UltraCarry .45 but she is now a very experienced shooter and practices all the time. She also shoots IDPA with that gun.

Take her to a well stocked gun shop and let her hold as many as she wants. You'll know when she finds love...

12. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe Browning makes a 380 with a snap up barrel so the slide does not have to be racked to load it. It is not a mouse gun. Recoil would be very mild and the 380 would have more power in the longer barrel. Bersa makes a good quality reasonably priced gun based on the PPK if racking the slide is doable.

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Bohica (Don't tell us what the acronym is)
    Welcome to the FTF. Drop by the "Introductions" area a little later.

Allow me to give a little advice. The little French Maid's outfit I bought my wife. I thought it was the ticket. Along with the 6" heels, OOh La La.

Somehow it was not what she wanted, and never wears it. What she does wear is the flannel nightgown that she purchased.

You may want to see what she would select (women's tastes are a little different than ours.) She would be more likely to carry what she selected before carrying what we think is best for her.

Get her to a range and let her shoot some to help in HER decision.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

If it hasn't been mentioned, get her to try the lil Bersa Thunder in .380; my sister loves the one she took from me.

16. dutchmaster

dutchmaster New Member

+1! Take her a range that rents handguns, let her try a few and then let HER make up her own mind!!! Great advice... ;);)

17. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I've a J-Frame Airweight .38 and it isn't any more uncomfortable to shoot than my Para P-10. :cool:

18. bohica83

bohica83 New Member

Thanks a lot for the words of wisdom. I did take the wife to a range and let her shoot 357 snub, xd sub 9, and an xd sub 40. Believe it or not she decided on the 40 cal haha. She actually shot much better groups with the .40 cal than she did anything else.

19. jismail

jismail Member

Dont fall into the trap of only briefly shooting the weapon at a practice range to decide. If you do, it's kinda like making the choice to marry someone with only a few perfectly staged dates to base your opionions on - it doesnt tell you much about what it will be like to actually live with her .... ;)

While she may like the feel of shooting one particular weapon over another at the target range, that is not going to be the full ownership cycle she should consider as a balanced criteria for the purchase,

Make sure she is fully aware and comfortable with all the factors that will be involved such as:

- usage: carry vs left at home - that will impace size and weight criteria
    - 'panic mode' comfort with the weapon i.e, does she fully understand it's pre-fire prep and can do so 'automatically' if the time ever comes - that may point to a revolver or auto as the basis of the platform
    - maintainace of the weapon - can she field strip it, clean it?
    - cost of operation, is practice ammo costs going to be any factor in the decision
    - purchase cost - there are a lot of choices out there, some are very good values, some are very costly. be sure to establish a budget then research option thoruoughly within that price point.

Unless she is going to become a sport shooter, this purchase will most likely be her single weapon and therefore should attempt to be the best fit for her in all aspects, so I would treat this the same way I would if I was buying her a hunk of jewelry, just because I think it is pretty doenst mean she will, so be safe an fully inolve her in purchase decision, but also make sure she is aware of all the points above.

20. jayguy

jayguy New Member

.22 Magnum Very little recoil