Girlfriend-safe Rifle??

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by isaac318, Mar 25, 2014.

1. isaac318

isaac318 New Member

I'm thinking about purchasing a rifle for my girlfriend and wanted some recommendations.

She is fairly small so nothing over powering. She has been able to shoot my .410 over/under with pretty good accuracy and control. However i'm looking for something with more practical uses.

I understand .22LR are difficult to come by and wouldn't mind finding a caliber that is both inexpensive and widely available. What's a good alternative to .22?

To reiterate, what do you guys suggest for a long gun that doesn't use .22 ammo and would be good for someone who is undersized. Basically I need a gun for a child.

Thanks!

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

a 22 rimfire would still be my first suggestion, simply because i believe that 22 ammo will become more plentiful and reasonably priced sometime in the future.

honestly, i can't think of any centerfire caliber that would be as cheap as a 22 and not have recoil that might shy her away from shooting.

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

A 9mm carbine??

4. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

17 HMR has been plentiful around here when everything else has been scarce, maybe a bolt gun in that caliber? you can get a savage or marlin package gun with scope for around $250 here.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I built an AR15 for my wife, who is recoil sensitive. She likes it a lot. .223 ammo is getting pretty obtainable again in my area.

6. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Anything in .223 or .243 should be pretty GF safe.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Pistol caliber carbine or a AR15. My wife has a Hi Point 9mm carbine she really likes. Everything about the Hi Point fits her perfectly. I feel for the home invader that tries to come in on her. If you want to impress your G/F buy a Beretta Storm. You will be $700 lighter but it is a nice rifle.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am quite short. I own a youth model Henry Lever. Look at some youth model rifles for her. As for caliber, mine is .22 and I find enough ammo to keep shooting it. It's not plentiful but I can find it. I also fine subsonic .22 more often than regular .22 and it works in my lever action just fine.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ar15, m1 carbine, levergun in a pistol caliber, and take her shopping and let her choose.

10. Original

Original New Member

Like Donthav1 I like the .17 hummer, but in your case, I would say get one of the $500 AR's that are fine starter guns and with the right buffer she would not notice recoil, then a .22 kit for the AR and you have a very useable practice rifle and a bit more power for home protection with the .223
    I noticed that a young man had an PLR Keltek carbine in the classified area if you want a less evil black rifle look, it has a red dot on it, motivated seller, I do not know the seller. The Kel Tek folds for compact carry or storage , I like mine very much, Hehe, they are FUD approved..

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I like the idea of having an AR in .223 with a conversion kit of .22lr.

For less than $750, you could have two rifles in one.

12. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

danf - do you have any recommendations on the inexpensive .22lr conversion kits?

13. BtDoctur

BtDoctur New Member

A lever action rifle in .38/.357 Mag almost no recoil. Or the .44 special/.44 Mag rifle.

14. danf_fl

15. orangello

orangello New Member

You should really give counseling a try first.

16. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

as far as I know, its not a good thing to say you are dating a child :eek:

17. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I was not going to say anything, but I love how men underestimate women.:rolleyes:

18. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

As suggested, let her pick the gun out. Most my female friends have a hard time holding up a rifle to aim and control. Let her find one in a youth size comb that she can handle. And preferable, down the road you could get an adult sized stock for and use it yourself. my dad always says he has killed more things on the planet with a 222 reminton than all of his larger calibers combined

19. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I have seen quite a few men flinch with .308 caliber during the shooting part of my hunting courses. Seen quite a few women shoot this caliber much better then the men.

20. danf_fl

There is a word that applies. Technique.

If properly trained, the shooter avoids being put on YouTube in a gun fail video.