Gifting a handgun across state lines.

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by eatmydust, Mar 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I live in PA, do I need to go through a FFL in order to give my brother in MD a gift of a handgun?

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. - He can legally own a gun in his home state.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. hmh

hmh New Member

My opinion (not advice) if he can legal own a firearm. What it is given or received between friends much less family members is no ones (especially the governments) business.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Across state lines is still a transfer whether or not monies are involved.

Go through an FFL and be legal.

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes .

no offense and none taken

5. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

FFL all the way.

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

You need an FFL. Balota bought me a rifle. He lives in Oklahoma, I live in Illinois. To legally give that rifle to me, we had to go through an FFL. It was simple and painless. Just a hassle we didn't think we'd have to go through.

7. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Thanks for all of your input.:)

8. string1946

string1946 New Member

I'm sure as heck not recommending you break the law and you should probably do as these other wise people recommend BUT if it was me and I was giving it to someone I trusted to not do something stupid with it, which is the only kind of person I would give it to, I would just go give it to him. The paper trail would end now but thats just me. I'm tired of big brother tracking everything I do. I know the FFL doesn't send the 4473 to the gubmint till they close shop but sooner or later they will get it. Damn, now the NSA has this post.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would like to see the gifting of guns to family members across state lines removed from the laws in currently in place. But only under those conditions. To family members.

But, someone that was elected to office has decided that transaction is part of interstate commerce.

Go figure.

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes I would. Maybe more people would say 'enough is enough'. We all will reach the 'limit', hopefully before 'they' have taken ALL our rights away are in complete control!:(

11. G30USMC

G30USMC Active Member Supporter

House cleaning performed

FirearmsTalk does not permit illegal activity, please refrain from posting such content

12. JimRau

Sorry to hear free speech is 'illegal activity'!:(

13. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

G30 probably meant that someone posted an idea that is illegal, and he deleted it. That right?

14. JimRau

I posted that 'I' had had enough and would not 'ask' the government for permission to give my kids or grandkids guns....(non violent civil disobedience)
    According to some posters the 'government' REQUIRES that if you wish to give a family member a gun who lives in another state you MUST ask the government for permission to do so, in the form of a background check,(requiring you to go through FFL dealers on both ends)WHICH IS JUST WRONG ANYWAY YOU CUT IT and I refuse to comply and my post was removed. :mad: If you have not noticed, I am an activist and I thought this was the proper place to state my concerns and state how I intended to oppose the wrongs I see, was I wrong????:confused:
    If others wish to be sheepeople and comply, that is their choice.:(

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  15. G30USMC

That is correct

Posting of illegal or immoral information is against the forums rules and regs

16. G30USMC

Not going through a FFL for out of state purchase of a firearm is illegal activity

17. JimRau

The question is not what is legal or illegal, but what is right or wrong.
    I guess if Rosa Parks were posting here in the 60's and she said she was tired of going to the back of the bus or giving up her seat for a white person and she was not going to do it any more you would remove her post because what she was going to do was 'illegal;'??????:confused:

18. JimRau

Giving a family member a gift is not a 'purchase' even if the guberment try's to make it such.;)

19. orangello

orangello New Member

Immoral? Say what now?

I'm all for not telling people how to circumvent laws we don't agree with (at least outside PM's ;) ), but what is this "morality clause" business? I'm pretty sure we have a significant variance in morals amongst the forum members. Whose morals are we using here and can you define "moral" and "immoral" for us?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.