Gift rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by trapshooter11, May 2, 2013.

1. trapshooter11

trapshooter11 New Member

Hello. I've recently gotten into shooting guns but I usually shoot shotguns or pistols. I'm looking to get my girlfriend a rifle as a gift but unsure of what kind. We plan to hunt deer with it mainly and target practice. It should be relatively cheap, easy to use rifle for beginners. I was thinking maybe a 30-30 or 30-6. Any suggestions?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

While it is NOT for deer hunting, strongly feel a first rifle should be a .22- no recoil, and you will shoot a LOT more.

A lever action 30-30, like a Marlin 336 is a good deer rifle, pricey to shoot, and not a target rifle.

A 30-06 bolt action is simple, more than enough power for deer, capable of great target accuracy, but a lot of recoil for a new shooter/small person.

.308 will meet power and accuracy requirements, be a lot less pricey to shoot, possibly less recoil than 30-06. .243 lighter recoil yet, decent power and accuracy- as is a 7mm-08.

Real question, tho- does she shoot now? What does she shoot- and what does she like?

3. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

IMO- look at a .243. If deer hunting is the specific purpose...this is a common caliber here in WV. Not punishong in terms of recoil and fairly accurate. I know this is not a commonly mentioned caliber here..but certainly worth looking into. Ammo availsbility is not terrible here right now either. I do agree though...that a .22 is important as well to learn the basics with. I cannot tell you the number of times shouting my .22 has opened my eyes to shooter error issues when it comes to larger caliber rifles. Typically, if I sm having a bad day at the range with My 30.06...I can pick up the .22 and within two or three, rounds identify shooter error issues.

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Also look at a .250 savage or a .257 Roberts.

Adequate for deer and very low recoil.

5. Squawk

Squawk New Member

He won't be able to find .22 ammo. ;)

6. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

If you follow c3's advice when he gives it in a thread, you won't go wrong. From what I've read he is one of, if not THE most knowledgable person @FTF!

7. Salvo

Salvo New Member

I've noticed that, too.

8. trapshooter11

trapshooter11 New Member

Yeah I actually grew up around guns but recently started really getting into them. She goes trap shooting with me with a Remington 1100 12 ga and we also go out a shoot my walther p22 and a .22/410 over under. She has gotten to be a great shot with a .22 rifle with just the iron sights. I was looking for something a little bigger maybe bolt action. Thanks for the great replies!!

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Maybe you should get her talking about what kind of

rifle she'd like...

...that said, I'm finding semi-22LRs, like the Marlin 60

or Ruger 10/22 with a decent scope are a lot of

fun.

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If you're willing to spend a few extra bucks, the Browning BAR stalker in 70-08 would be close to perfect.

11. E7018Dan

E7018Dan New Member

Didnt realize the bar comes in 7-08 I was lookong at one in 308. I don't reload so 308 availability is a must for me right now. The 7mm is a little less popular but shouldn't be to hard to find. Whatever you end up with make sure ammunition is available, and make sure your women is comfortable shooting the caliber.

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

What he said.

You're really looking for 2 different rifles: a 22 and then something else.