Gift Idea????

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by kytowboater, Apr 12, 2012.

1. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

My dad is turning 60 this summer, I want to buy him a gun. Be it a handgun or rifle. Around the $500-$600 range. Here's my qualm, what do you buy the man that has a lot? Maybe something a little older, more collectible. Maybe I'm out of the price range there, I know his favorite caliber is .308. I'm kinda at a loss for thoughts. Maybe a really nice bolt action rifle......any ideas???

2. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

As a gift for myself (you could maybe apply this to your needs) is to buy a nice old muzzle loader, and have it engraved.

3. kytowboater

Welp, kinda poked around. He mentioned if he were to buy another rifle, it would be another remmington 700, with a wood stock. Guess it seems now to find the right one. Yay, that just got more expensive lol.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

I agree! Get him something different. My younger nephew has really enjoyed the BP revolver i got him; he can't hunt with it or anything, just a fun gun. It is a Pietta copy of a Remington NMA. Cabelas has some niiiiice ones in stainless. You might find him a cowboy-style belt & holster too and still be well under budget.

edit* My mom collects Fostoria Americana glass crap and that Flow bleu china (sp). I realized long ago that to get her a piece of that glass crap that she would really think is cool will cost me a crapload and deny her the fun of hunting it down herself.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  5. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

You could always look around at a pawn shop or LGS for a good used Rem 700 in .308, might even be able to find one with a Bull Barrel, IDK what kinda price's where you live but I can get a used BDL Deluxe in 95% condition .243 Win with the Bull Barrel for $799.95 with a Leupold 3-9x40 scope.

A new BDL from Remington starts at $985.

6. kytowboater

He loves old western stuff that's a cool idea too, his girlfriend mention something about a Henry rifle. Have his nickname and the date engraved.

7. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

What about a Marlin 336 in .30-30?

8. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

The Remington Model 700 ADLs run about $400-$500 (you'll have to get one used, I think Remington stopped making them). They are basically the same as the BDLs minus the floor-plate for the mag. You could get one, and have a little left over to get something engraved onto it. Maybe his name, or something that would mean a lot to him.

9. kytowboater

I think you have hit the nail on the head tex. Thank you.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The 700 LS is a laminate wood stock and are available from Buds for$623. The BDL starts at $760. The CDL is $785.

11. kytowboater

Guess I'll make my way up to buds when I get home, poke around for a while.

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Was he military? LEO?

How about a pistol with his name engraved in it?

Get with a local engraver or check out www.g4grads.com

13. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Your Dad being 60 on his birthday is nearing my age, and us old geezers love the old 1911's. I would suggest giving him a Rock Island tactical 1911 (under $500) I have one and love it. It has never jammed or failed me. with over a thousand rounds. (Have not tried wad cutters). In fact, I am in the process of buying a Rock Island 1911 Match. But that model in more in the $600 range if you can find one. The basic Rock Island is under $400. I have read many reviews of the Rock Island 1911 and they are all in the positive.

Of course, any gun from a son is going to be cherished by a Dad!!

14. rbmorris

rbmorris New Member