Gift for Husband

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by maggie, Nov 13, 2011.

1. maggie

maggie New Member

I'm considering getting my husband a new gun for Christmas. I don't know much about guns but I know he is wanting to broaden the variety of his collection.

To give you an idea of his likes, he has a shotgun and rifle, and a few handguns, including a Sig Sauer P229, Springfield XDM, and Beretta something (it's a 9mm, but I'm not sure of the model)

One thing he does not have is a revolver, but when we browse guns at stores, he does mention it would be a fun gun to have.

Also, he is active duty military, so I thought it might be cool to get him something with military history, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I would try to figure out what he would really want. Maybe you can ask a buddy of his to start a gun discussion for you and he can figure out what your husband would like. Or maybe just take him shopping when he gets home and let him pick out his own. I know that's not as fun a surprise but you want to him like the gun.

3. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Maggie, The only revolver with a US military history that comes to mind is the S&W Mod. 10 Military & Police. Most collectors will tell you that it is a mandatory part of any serious collection, but it is a real yawn to shoot. I second winds-of-change's thoughts on this. Either get a buddy of his to dig out the info for you or get him a gift certificate from a reputable independent gun shop and let him pick out what he wants.

4. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Who could not like a Colt Single Action Army in .45 colt?

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There are the 45 SA and DA revolvers too but the good old ones are collectors and pricey. A Colt Single Action in 45 Long Colt would be from the cavalry times but are still made.
    It would be best not to surprise him with something he may not like. He might just want a shooter like a .357 mag or 44 mag in S&W or Ruger but you really dont know. Go the buddy route or just take him shopping.

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

If you've got to wing it, a 4-6" Ruger GP100 is a pretty safe bet as a quality "vanilla" revolver. Good gun, fair price, built to last. There are fancier options, more expensive guns, etc...but then you're diverting into more specific tastes. I think the GP100 is about the closest thing you'll find to a modern, affordable, high quality, "one size fits all" revolver.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

maggie, it is a very nice thing you are wanting to do for your husband and i applaude you for it. but a handgun is very personal and what works, fits or others like, may not suit your husbands hands or be something he likes to shoot. if your goal is to suprise him, find out through one of his friends, or start a conversation about guns, or even go gun shopping making him think you might want your own gun, trust me, he will give you some idea of ones he really likes. no man will go with his wife and look at guns for her, without looking at ones he likes too! or maybe give him a gift certificate to a gun store in your area for him to get what he wants. your husband is a lucky man to have a wife like you. you deserve a big high five!:D

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

My first though is a 357 Magnum. They're a must for any collection and fun revolver to shoot. See if he mentions anything about a magnum or talk to one of his buddies, see if he's talked to them about one.

9. EagleSix

EagleSix New Member

maggie....ditto on axxe55 ^^^......and to follow his lead....you also have my "hi-5".....

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

11. maggie

maggie New Member

Thanks guys, I asked his hunting buddy to bring up guns to see if there is something he has been eyeing. If that doesn't work, I think I'll go with a gift card. Thanks for the advice!

12. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

+1 on the 1911. He likes guns, and owns some handguns and you mention the word "collection". I don't take that to mean that he is a collector, but that sounds to me like he owns a gun or two that he just likes and likes to shoot on occasion.

If I were in your place and wanted to really come out of the blue and surprise him, I'd get him a Colt 1911. It's really an American icon that almost any gun enthusiast would be delighted to receive as a gift.

Also, custom grips can be had/made for very reasonable prices from a variety of materials. A real personalized set of custom grips that mean something special to him or to you both would be a nice touch.

Best of luck:)

13. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

Unless you are much more "in tune" with your hubby than by wife is with me, just get him a gift card.
    Try to find a shop in your area which offers a good band for your buck.

If you can be sure you are buying him a gun he will really like, go for it! Otherwise allow him to pick it for himself. For dudes, this is a personal decision.

Good for you for trying to get hubby something he will love!

14. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Ruger Super redhawk or blackhawk in .44mag would be cool .

Colt Dan wesson or Ruger .357 mag are fun too

Smith and wesson makes i think a 8 shot .22 magnum which is pretty awesome

15. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

No man or woman's collection is complete without a 1911 ;).

16. nhsuper44

nhsuper44 New Member

+2 on the 1911 !!!!!:D

17. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Axxe is right on target with this one. I can tell you what I would love to have but your husband might hate my choice. Talk to his close friends about what he wants in a gun, they should be excited about helping you find out what your husband really likes or wants. A shopping spree at the gun store is another excellent idea, I used this idea to find out what my wife wanted and to purchase my her gun last year. A gift certificate is another option that should be well received as this lets him make the final choice.

You deserve a atta girl for being so thoughtful in this area, and please tell all your girlfriends about this excellent idea for a present for their boyfriends or husbands. Ladies this is a sure way to please your guys, my wife ordered several Wilson Combat mags for my 1911 after talking to her dad to get ideas for my birthday.

My daughter and my FIL and myself went to the gun range this weekend to teach her how to shoot and handle several different guns properly, when she made the statement that she would really like one of these, a S&W M&P 9 or a Colt Commander .45. She shot both very well and managed the recoil with the .45 like a champ. The FIL had one on layaway before we left the range.

18. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Don't know how much you want to spend but a M1873 Colt Army single action revolver would be a nice addition for any one, but they will run you about $1500ish and up.

19. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

When I think of revolvers with a miltary history, I think of something like this:

Product: Model 22, Model of 1917 - S&W Classics

As mentioned before, I would use whatever means available to get a better feel for what he's looking for. You don't mention a budget.
    FWIW, My wife has bought be two 1911's. They were both extremely well chosen with help from one of the guys at the local gun shop who knows me. Suffice it to say that a nice 1911 will never be a disappointment.

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

This is a great opportunity to take your

husband to breakfast or lunch during

the holiday season at a

cozy restaurant, and give him a gift certificate

then and there. Then take him to the store.

IMO, it would be a special day for you both,

because of the time you spent together...