Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard on the news the other day that some 250-ish "ghost guns" were recovered in crimes last year. Of course, we know Joe is already signing various EO's and is working to make 80% lowers illegal (and I would surmise, by extension, the manufacture of any firearm by a citizen illegal too).

Now, this pops up. Seems that suddenly, all these "types" of weapons and parts are a "big problem." Have they actually been gaining ground and we're just now hearing about it, or is this more "numbers" thrown out to further their anti agenda?

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
It's already declared a crime to craft parts that can induce "automatic" fire in a firearm, here in the U.S. Can't imagine how it's more problematic now compared to prior years. It's not as though automatic-fire parts haven't been possible, since arms were created.

Of course, going around with their hair on fire as though it's the end of the world is what they do. The RKBA cannot stand. So, a chip here ... a crack there ... and eventually every upstanding person will get boxed out, leaving everybody criminalized for something.

I suppose I'm really only surprised that there haven't been thousands, even tens of thousands, of such parts made and traded/sold via the underground markets.

·
Registered
288 Posts
A local thug got caught shoplifting.....the security guard was actually an off-duty cop. Anyway the guy was arrested and found to have a pistol in his pocket (glock). Upon further examination- it turns out he was wanted for other crimes-AND his Glock had the "glock-chip" in it which made it fully automatic. A "misdemeanor" crime elevated to a felony- then to a federal crime. The guy can't even get bail now til he goes to court.

BUT- the bottom line here....anyone with a Glock can can have a full auto pistol easy. Just find someone who has a 3D printer and make the "glock chip". You can download the pattern online. Lots of folks today have 3D printers- my 14 year old grandson got on for his birthday.

We live in a different world....we are just not aware of it!

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's already declared a crime to craft parts that can induce "automatic" fire in a firearm, here in the U.S. Can't imagine how it's more problematic now compared to prior years. It's not as though automatic-fire parts haven't been possible, since arms were created.

Of course, going around with their hair on fire as though it's the end of the world is what they do. The RKBA cannot stand. So, a chip here ... a crack there ... and eventually every upstanding person will get boxed out, leaving everybody criminalized for something.

I suppose I'm really only surprised that there haven't been thousands, even tens of thousands, of such parts made and traded/sold via the underground markets.
Oh, I know, lots of various firearms related things are illegal (not that it's ever stopped criminals), but the point is, it seems in recent days, "suddenly" there's this spike in all this illegal activity.....almost as if it's being screeched about to garner sentiment for more useless gun restrictions and laws...you know, create the "crisis" then swoop in to save us from ourselves...

Although I've never had the chance to fire a full auto Glock, I've seen them fired and frankly, it's a waste of bullets.

·
Premium Member
15,275 Posts
Weapon of choice for a drive by. It was common to remove serial numbers on hot guns. Does that make it a ghost gun.

·
Registered
288 Posts
So the guy Committing a robbery , while in possession of a gun , can’t be charged with a felony unless it’s a full automatic?
No......
The guy was caught shoplifting, which is a misdemeanor. BUT- he had a gun in his pocket while doing it. Even though he did not use the gun- he had it in his possession- that elevated it to a felony. While in jail- the gun was examined and the Glock chip was discovered. That brought the
feds into it.

Edit: Normally the guy would have been immediately released with a court date set in the future. But now he is being held on Federal charges. He will serve time before he sees the street again.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The rate of fire on the G18 is amazing though. To think it can do that and not tear itself to pieces is a real testament to Gaston's genius.
Yeah, it was impressive with the rate of fire, but controlling that sucker while it's doing it is a whole other matter.

I would wager, if you took out the statistics of "ghost guns" and "chipped" Glocks from the equation, it wouldn't even make a blip on the gun crime landscape. The overwhelming amount of gun crimes are happening in dem run inner cities, yet we're all the ones being made to pay for it in the form of useless laws that will do absolutely zero to stop it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would love to see the "Real" numbers of " ghost guns" that have been used in crimes . Not the made up number but the true number .

I'm looking in my crystal ball and getting the next "Story" ... how criminals reload their own ammunition and thus circumvent the "Ammo Laws" ... so Reloading will need to be outlawed ... to stop the flow of bullets that the criminals use . Yeah ... That's the Ticket ... Reloading is the next criminal activity that needs shutting down .

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Weapon of choice for a drive by. It was common to remove serial numbers on hot guns. Does that make it a ghost gun.
Guns with serials removed are absolutely counted in the "ghost " gun stats. If they were not, i suspect the numbers would be infinitesimal. The 20K number Biden had quoted was the total number in a 4 year span iirc. I think i had the data posted somewhere else in here.

·
Premium Member
15,275 Posts
I read about one drive by involving a full auto weapon. The shooter lost control and killed his own driver. Karma?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Glock sales rep let us shoot one of the factory full-auto glocks at the highway patrol indoor firing range many years ago. Advice was not to try to "muscle" the pistol and keep bursts as short as possible. The rate of fire was really fast and other than the first shot hitting center of mass on a B-27 silhouette target, the rest did not when I tried it. My lieutenant was a heavily-muscled man who fired what ever rounds were in the clip at one time. The gun just kept climbing ...and climbing. Hit one of the ceiling lights on the range, which ended our participation in the demo.

Part of the sales pitch was "how many rounds will it fire without cleaning before it jams?" At that time, the gun had fired over 3,000 rounds. I asked the sales rep "Who buys this gun?" His answer was "Small town police chiefs".

Honestly, one time firing one was enough for me. Other than the novelty, in civilian law enforcement they'd be a liability nightmare. Criminals apparently have no regard for "collateral damage" judging from how many innocent people get shot in their ongoing shoot-em-ups. Only bright side is ...don't take long to run out of bullets.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't get me wrong, I like "rock and roll", but that's reserved for a more appropriate firearm. If I ever won the lotto, I'd probably shell out the tens of thousands of dollars for an M-16 lower and have a lot of fun, but a G-18...I have zero interest in it.

I did get to shoot a full auto MAC-10 many years ago, and it too was pretty useless in that regard. Maybe with a small fold out stock (and I believe one is available for the G-18), in that config, it might have some use.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A "ghost gun", at least in the current administration's demonization campaign, are the 80% lowers being sold to the general public. They have no serial number. But, they were deemed legal by the vaunted ATF. Now that brain dead Joe and his circus are running the show, that will most likely change. Of course, he is signing EO's to make them illegal, but I bet (I'm hoping) that gets challenged in court (but I'm not holding my breath). What they fail to mention is, it still takes a lot of work and a few tools most people don't have to make them work. My question is, if this flies, how will that affect our right to manufacture our own firearms period.

It's always been legal to make your own firearm, as long as you follow the laws surrounding such, like, you can't sell it to someone or give it away. I think you can have it serialized, but I don't know all the laws in this regard because I've never had a desire to buy an 80% lower or to make a firearm (I don't have the tools or the knowledge to do so).

Prior to the 80% lowers hitting the scene, a "ghost gun" was any gun that has had the serial number ground off it. Depending on how good of a job they do in that regard, it is still possible to get the number though. Since it is stamped into the metal, the pressure applied and displacement of the metal/alterations to the steel's grain structure still allows for reading the number if it isn't ground enough. You could probably apply some ferric chloride (the acid used for things like etching damascus knife blades) and get enough contrast due to the crushed grain structure in the steel to read the numbers.

A "Saturday night special" is a term used to describe cheap pistols, usually small caliber like a Raven 25, or the like, used by criminals. Small and cheap is the key, because they could be easily obtained. They've pretty much been replaced by the likes of Glocks, or other popular "9's".

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
A "ghost gun", at least in the current administration's demonization campaign, are the 80% lowers being sold to the general public. They have no serial number. But, they were deemed legal by the vaunted ATF. Now that brain dead Joe and his circus are running the show, that will most likely change. Of course, he is signing EO's to make them illegal, but I bet (I'm hoping) that gets challenged in court (but I'm not holding my breath). What they fail to mention is, it still takes a lot of work and a few tools most people don't have to make them work. My question is, if this flies, how will that affect our right to manufacture our own firearms period.

It's always been legal to make your own firearm, as long as you follow the laws surrounding such, like, you can't sell it to someone or give it away. I think you can have it serialized, but I don't know all the laws in this regard because I've never had a desire to buy an 80% lower or to make a firearm (I don't have the tools or the knowledge to do so).

Prior to the 80% lowers hitting the scene, a "ghost gun" was any gun that has had the serial number ground off it. Depending on how good of a job they do in that regard, it is still possible to get the number though. Since it is stamped into the metal, the pressure applied and displacement of the metal/alterations to the steel's grain structure still allows for reading the number if it isn't ground enough. You could probably apply some ferric chloride (the acid used for things like etching damascus knife blades) and get enough contrast due to the crushed grain structure in the steel to read the numbers.

A "Saturday night special" is a term used to describe cheap pistols, usually small caliber like a Raven 25, or the like, used by criminals. Small and cheap is the key, because they could be easily obtained. They've pretty much been replaced by the likes of Glocks, or other popular "9's".
I knew all that. I don't think "they" know all that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts