Getting tired of...........

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by stalkingbear, Jan 13, 2011.

1. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I'm getting tired of packing 2 guns for concealed carry. I'm thinking of replacing my LCP .380 and 1 of my small .45s with the Kahr MK40/PM40. That way I can get by with just 1 gun (and extra mag) in my pocket/s. It's not much larger than my LCP. I just don't feel confident the .380 will get the job done, especially if I've already went through my .45. And honestly, sometimes I just pack the LCP by itself for convenience, especially in the summer. Yes I'm fully aware that a .40 in that small & light of a package WILL kick. What say yall? Tell me what's wrong with my thinking.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I owned a PM40 for a short time. It was accurate and reliable - but not a gun you'd love to practice with. The MK, being all steel, would be less brutal but certainly much heavier...

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i think it depends on how confident you are with your 380.

i shoot my little thunder plus from bersa a lot and ive gotten quite good with it. its a fast little bugger with very little muzzle flip. its a natural pointer and im very confident getting center of mass hits.

another favorite is my colt new agent.

im not a 40sw fan. it doesnt really offer much for the negatives. 9mm 380 38spl i feel are better choices if your not carrying a 45. 380 lets me pack a small pistol with a controllable round.

ultimately your the one gonna be humping it around and using it. i would suggest begging or borrowing someone's pocket rocket in 40 to try for yourself before you settle on that.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

If someone would make a 9mm or 40 in the LCP size I would be all over it so you and I are on the same page. I love my Kimber but sometimes wish I could pocket carry for ease.

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Nothing at all wrong with that thinking imo. I pack an xd40sc. It does have some snappy recoil, but it's managable with the pierce extension. I carry it and an extra mag,that's it. That's more than I'll ever need. I have carried two guns before, but before you know it that won't be enough either.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Spitty check the dimensions of the PM40 compared to the LCP that I currently have. You'll see why I'm seriously thinking about switching to 1 gun. Yes I realize the recoil will be brutal, but it'll be worth it.

7. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Kahr .40

stalkingbear: Sir, my shooting partner has the .40 stainless one. My first time shooting it; I thought my thumb to be broken. All my fault. Sloppy handling.
    I shoot single action 300 grain, types, I know better than to half do anything.

After that session; I have shot it lots; and enjoy it lots. I have carried the firearm all day in my front trouser pocket.
    one of my daily carries; LCP, that I'm fond of, I made a comparison to the Kahr. for me; the Kahr carried very well. .

8. SK2344

SK2344 New Member

I don't mean to hurt anyones feelings but I think it is totally unnecessary to carry two guns for self defense at any time. Are you that insecure about your safety? How many times during your lifetime do you think you will have to draw your gun to defend yourself from grave harm? I carried a G 19 as my duty weapon for 13 years and almost never had the need for a back up gun except for maybe 2 times when doing a special duty detail. Do you know what the odds are of you getting into a tactical shootout where you might need a back up gun to save your life? I think some people get carried away with their carry guns and method of carry. No offense, just my opinion.:rolleyes:

9. Hollander

Hollander New Member

Take a good look at the Walther PPS in .40 if you want a .40. It does fit in a few pockets. It is light to carry on the belt or iwb and easily concealed. It is a little snappy but if my 68 yearold hands can handle it, I am sure you could. The gun is accurate, light, easy to carry and conceal, fun to shoot, and a very good weapon. I also have it in 9mm for a lot of range time but the .40 is very manageable.

10. WDB

WDB New Member

Bear IMHO a 9mm would be a better choice if you are looking to pack more rounds in one pistol and still have good shot placement. I carried a full size FNP-40 for awhile for the extra rounds and it was fine, The only sub I have is a G27 and it is easy to carry but lacks in shot placement. Might be the pistol or me but it wasn't for me. It's a tough delima, for me the answer was the S&W M&P 45, it added three rounds in about the same size package as a 1911. Summer carry is still something I have been working on and best I have is a sig P230 for shorts and tee shirt carry in the pocket. Thought a lot about a Rugger LCR or a S&W airweight, just haven't made that leap yet.

If you find what works for you I would be happy to hear about it as I keep looking myself.

11. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Perhaps the new LC9? It's not drastically bigger than the LCP - still small enough to fit easily into a pocket - and 9mm is a healthy step up from .380 in terms of stopping power.

Ruger® LC9™ Centerfire Pistol Models

12. freefall

freefall New Member

I like my KelTec PF9 for pocket carry. I wish it was a .45 but then it wouldn't fit in my pocket. I used to carry a NAA Guardian .380 but now it's for sale.

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Bear, normally, I would say "One = none, Two = one", but I don't think you have to worry about that no matter what your selection is. Just pick the correct ammo for your handgun of choice.
    -Dan

14. spittinfire

I'd take one in a 9. Yes, I stand up to pee but I just don't like the 40. The biggest draw back I saw was the grip length. It's 0.4" taller then your LCP which will be quite noticable in the pocket.

The LC9 is almost a full inch taller which is disapointing.

If you decide you want to sell your LCP, I call dibs. :D

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The Kahr PM9 is much easier to shoot well than the PM40, yeah - I'd had one of those also. I guess I'm just different as I generally carry a Sig P238 and I don't feel undergunned at all...

16. spittinfire

I've carried a 9mm and with the right ammo I didn't feel undergunned at all. I would carry one again and would prefer it to a 380 but I have yet to find a 9mm that will work for pocket carry and 380s do. All the 9s I've tried are just a touch too big.
    The XD9SC I had was great but it was too thick.

17. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

Go with the PM9 weighs about the same and is easier to shoot. I pulled mine out of my pocket to photo it. The Kahr 40's used to have problems with cracked barrels because of pressure problems. Any way here's mine in it's pocket holster. Well I thought so... the attatchment thingy seems to be B.O.

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

19. spittinfire

But you can't fit the LCR in your pocket which is the only reason I don't have on in 357.