Getting started

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Liflavor, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Liflavor

Liflavor New Member

Hello am currently just getting started into gunsmithing. As I gain more and more experience I want to open my own gunsmithing shop. I was wondering do I need a FFL also to be able to open my own shop?

2. Catfish

Catfish Member

It would be a good idea so that you can handle transfers and sell some guns. Good luck with your quest, it a tough way to make a liveing, especially untill you have a good name.

3. mechsmith

mechsmith New Member

I have finished education and am very interested in starting my own shop. Between FFL, states, and county requirements I am having a hard time getting started, and I still need to buy tools! I guess the shop will have to start slow. Does anyone know a specific side of gunsmithing that will help get started or will it just take time as a hobbyshop?

4. Liflavor

Liflavor New Member

Thanks for all your help!!!

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Gettin LEO business helps alot

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Reputation is key.
    Work with ranges. Even a $25.00 gun cleaning job helps.

If you keep a customer's firearm for more than 24 hours, I would suggest getting a FFL. Also, some parts dealers give discounts if you have a FFL.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If you do gunsmithing , yes you need a FFL. Tactical stuff is hot. You might consider working on AR's and mainly sight upgrades for carry guns. Gun cleaning and parts replacement are the bread and butter for 90% of gunsmiths.

8. Liflavor

Liflavor New Member

Thanks for your help