Getting ready for CCW

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by boringoldfart, Mar 30, 2014.

1. boringoldfart

boringoldfart New Member

Given the way things are going these days in our society, I feel it is time for me to start carrying. IWB or OWB will not be an option for me as I feel I would probably just end up leaving it at home or in the truck. So, I will be looking at a Pocket Grabber type holster and either a .380 or sub 9mm. I'm interested to know what others are using for pocket carry.

Thank you,

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

I don't currently pocket carry so please take this with a grain of salt.

The Ruger LCP is a very popular choice. I have a small amount of trigger time on the one my mother-in-law owns, and I didn't like it. Snappy because it's so light, hard to cycle the slide (maybe hers just wasn't broken in very well), and just generally not a pleasant shooter. However its size lends itself very well to pocket carry. I have been tempted despite not having a pleasant shooting experience.

Another popular choice is the Kahr. I shot one of their subcompact 9mm's and it hurt the webbing of my hand between the thumb and forefinger, after less than 50 rounds. However, I personally greatly prefer the Kahr over the LCP. The trigger was nicer and the slide was easier to manipulate.

There are many options that fill this niche nowadays. Ruger LCP, LC380, LC9, S&W Bodyguard, Taurus makes some, the Kahrs, Sig P238, P938, Colt Mustang, even Glock has the model 42 now.

I suggest going to a couple gun stores and holding as many as you can. When you find a couple that feel "right" in your hand, see if you can rent them to shoot.

My choice would probably be the Sig P938, because I prefer 9mm over .380 and really like the feel of that gun. A little expensive though. Or maybe a Kahr in 9mm, because the Sig has a thumb safety that I'm not keen on.

Oh another one is the S&W M&P Shield in 9mm. I wish that gun didn't have a thumb safety. I might already own one despite the fact that its a little bigger.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  3. boringoldfart

boringoldfart New Member

Thanks JW357 I'm leaning towards something small enough for comfortable pocket carry. I already have a pr of nice 9mm to take to the range and my CC will be for self defense only. With that said, I am not closed to a sub-compact 9 if it is small enough to pocket.

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Here's an excellent chart that might help you narrow down the choices:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...OTRlZi00NTJkLWE0MGMtZmEwNGFlMWE3ZDlm&hl=en_US

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

Why is pocket carry the only option you are considering? (just curious)

I hate the trigger and shooting an LCP, but a guy at work had replaced the trigger and some other part, which made the trigger MUCH better. And he added a Hogue slip on grip, made the gun feel a lot better.

With summer coming I am also looking at a smaller gun for occasional pocket carry.

@JW a few mins with a dremel tool and a dab of black paint and the safety on the Shield is no longer a problem. :)

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

:)

I would worry about voiding the warranty though.

7. scott_see

scott_see New Member

A Glock 26 in a Galco King Tut is awfully comfortable. People seem to really like the Baby Glock. With a small Pearce grip extension it's got a good feel to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

8. boringoldfart

boringoldfart New Member

I know myself and I am just too lazy to fool with IWB or OWB. No offence to those who carry that way.

9. SB777

SB777 New Member

I carry a 380 LCP every day. Can fill a 6 inch grouping at 10 yards and although that's not even in the game for match shooting I have confidence in using it for personal protection at close range. I also occasionally carry a Walther PPK380 with which I can keep a tighter grouping but it is a bit heavier and larger in size. The LCP can carry very well in your summer shorts pocket with a good pocket holster.

For a bigger punch you could look at the Sig 938 but the price goes up to $600+. Good luck with your search.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  10. boringoldfart

boringoldfart New Member

How does the Sig compare in size and weight to the LCP/TCP?

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

If you go to:

Genitron.com

You can compare handguns. Its a fantastic site.

12. SB777

SB777 New Member

The Sig 938 is a little heavier and larger but, it is 9mm. You can get a 380 Sig 238 which is a little lighter and smaller.

By the way, I had a Kahr PK380 that gave me lots of headaches. After sending it back to the factory several times I traded it in for the Walther. Several people I know have the 9mm Kahr and have nothing but good things to say about it.

13. DP03

DP03 New Member

JW's recommendation of the Sig 938 is an excellent choice. It is very pocketable. I love mine. Pricey, as Sig's are, but worth every penny, IMO. All metal, and shoots very smoothly and accurately for a small 9mm. 7 or 8 round capacity depending on the mag (6+1 or 7+1).

14. boringoldfart

boringoldfart New Member

Anybody have any experience with a DiamondBack db9? It is the size I can deal with and in 9mm. Probably kicks like a mule though.

15. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Just my .02

If you pocket carry you should dedicate whatever pocket you carry in for holster and / or gun ONLY. There have been several instances of folks carrying keys and other farkles in their carry pocket who have had ND s when said farkles get snagged on the trigger. and if you carry keys and other farkles in the pocket the gun can be removed from the holster on accident also .

That being said I used to pocket carry a taurus PT22 . It was a .22 but 9rds DAO trigger was light , didnt print very much . That was the only pocket carry gun I ever had . but it worked. And I trust 9rds of .22 would eliminate a threat or atleast allow me to escape any SD situation. I'd rather had a LC9 looking back on it though .

16. boringoldfart

boringoldfart New Member

dedicated pocket makes sense.

17. JW357

JW357 New Member

With a holster. Don't forget the holster. It'll help to break up the outline of the pistol and will keep the trigger guard covered. :)

And sorry, all I know about the DB9 is hearsay. I have no experience with them.

18. boringoldfart

boringoldfart New Member

I've read some reviews on the DB9 and it looks promising for my purposes. It is about the same thickness as a LCP and not much bigger or heaver. One review said the recoil was the same as a .38 lite J frame, which I have shot and can handle.