Getting Organized

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by txpossum, Jul 28, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I should be ashamed of the lack of documentation or records on most of my guns. At the nagging of my wife (in anticipation of my demise, no doubt) I am making a list of my guns, with descriptions, serial numbers, approximate worth, etc. After looking online at store bought programs, freeware, and good old Excel (which I hate), I found an Excel based template which works pretty well for what I want that was free. I'm putting the link here for anyone who wants to take a look at it:

http://sportsmansblog.typepad.com/GunListTemplate.xls

Besides the basic information, I am also putting in additional tidbits of info on the particular model or the individual weapon, such as date of manufacture or anything interesting about that model, e.g. my Smith Model 19-5 was the first year without the pinned barrel and recessed chambers. I have at time looked up info on specific guns I own, but, of course, never wrote anything down because I never forget anything. Right. So now I'm re-acquiring some of this info.

For instance, I believe the gun pictured below is a Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector Third Model, made about 1903. I looked it up when I got the gun, but I can't remember exactly where or how I determined this. Right now I'm making inquiries about this old Smith, trying to confirm what I think I know.

It's sorta fun putting a history together on each of my firearms.

Attached Files:

• HE1.jpg
      HE1.jpg
      File size:
      30.2 KB
      Views:
  2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

can U send me the template? I will PM you my e-mail. I also Hate Excel,..but the Wife is a pro at it(both Excel and PPT...)

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I plan on being buried with my horse and all my weapons. It is the right thing to do.:)

4. txpossum

txpossum New Member

No problem.

5. txpossum

txpossum New Member

How does the horse feel about that?

6. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Not me, I have a slew of kids and grandkids to ride my horse and shoot my guns when I'm gone!:D

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have notebooks on mine that contain much information on each firearm. i have no heirs to leave my guns too, and in the event of my demise, all mine will be in the possession of my wife, but all sales will be administered by my attorney. simple because i don't want my wife bilked by some shady gun dealer looking for an easy buck at the cost of a grieving widow. i simply want her to get fair market value for them if she decides to sell any off after my death.

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Oh! Me and "Ole" Paint have an agreement. We are going out together in a Blaze Of Glory. :D