Getting my CCW for the first time!!

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by teamramrod, Jan 7, 2012.

1. teamramrod

teamramrod New Member

This year i will be getting my CCW, my question is what is a good carry gun? I shoot/ hunt a ton. I shoot both long guns and handguns alot. I THINK i want a 45 but im open to suggestions, i have a 9mm i could carry but i want an excuse to buy a new gun :D. I would like to keep the cost around the 500$ mark and have a nice reliable gun.
    Any advice is much appreciated.. Thanks guys!

2. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

Caliber is a personal choice, i do not get into the caliber wars..... My suggestion is to shoot and carry what you are proficient with.....

I carry a Glock 21 (45 ACP) on duty, only because that is what is issues to me by my department.....

Off duty, i carry a G26 and love it, i load it with speer gold dot 124 +p, i prefer the 9mm IMHO

3. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

There are many very good carry guns out there. I could say you should buy this or that. But then everyone is going to tell you that they're particular favorite gun is the best. If you stick to any of the major name brands and don't go out on the fringes, you're not likely to go wrong. A gun that one person likes another won't. So my advice is to find a range where you can rent guns and try different ones until you find one that works for you.

4. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Everything is going to boil down to personal preference. My three carry firearms are the Ruger SR9c, Kahr CM9, and Springfield Mil-Spec 1911a1. The main reason I have three different ones is, because each one of them has a different purpose. The Kahr I carry year around in my pocket as a backup, because it is so small and easy to conceal. The Ruger I carry in the spring and summer, because I can conceal it more easily than the 1911a1 due to not wearing as much clothing. The 1911a1 I carry in the winter and fall, because I can conceal it better since I'm generally wearing heavier/more clothing. The reason for carrying 9mm in the spring and summer is, because if I were attacked or something the assailant would probably not be wearing a leather jacket or some other form of heavy clothing that a 9mm might have more trouble going through or atleast doing enough damage to stop them. The same concept applies to the .45ACP, because an attacker in the fall or winter probably would be wearing a coat/jacket/ or whatever and the .45ACP would have an easier time penetrating and doing more damage than the 9mm.

5. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

I bought a Glock 30 in '96 and have never looked back. Now they make a slim fit model as well!

6. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

Asking us to choose a carry gun for you like asking us to choose a wife for you. We all have different ideas of what's nice and what ain't. YOU choose your own. ;)

7. teamramrod

teamramrod New Member

Firearms4ever you gave a lot of good info in that post. So i guess ill just have to BUY 3 or 4 different guns in different calibers and carry them at different times. Concealing them from the woman is gonna be the biggest problem.. she just figured out that i have more guns than i did a few months ago...

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

See if you can borrow or try an old S&W SS 645. If you like it,

you know what your next gun purchase will be.

Mine was 390$ OTD...

9. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

You'd be ahead if you can't borrow one, go to a range that does rentals and test drive a few in different styles, calibers and such. You also need to try and decide how you're going to carry; OWB, IWB, shoulder. Bear in mind you'll need to learn to dress around the gun.

But get what you want and are comfortable with. Good luck.

10. towboater

towboater Active Member

I carry a CZ82. Their inexpensive but high quality. Check out CZ.

11. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

When it comes to buying guns and concealing them from the little lady, remember, asking forgiveness is always easier than asking permission. But in extreme cases, I know a guy who owns several guns. But they stay at his neighbor's home, who the wife believes they belong to. Although he usually has one at home, that his gracious neighbor lets him "borrow".

12. G30USMC

That is great!!! I will have to try that one.....lol

13. wolsey737

wolsey737 New Member

I 2 am going to take my CCW class this month. My big question was also what to carry. I talked to a lot of my friends who carry. They all carry something different. .380 to .45 and Ruger to sig. I did a lot of research as I had never owned a gun before. I ended up getting a KAHR CW45 and I absolutely love it. It is definitely a personal preference.

14. teamramrod

teamramrod New Member

Okay so my next question is how many of you carry one in the chamber when you carry? Im hearing alot of mixed opinions on this. I think carrying a gun that is not immediately usable is as useful as carrying a stick. So how many of you carry one in the chamber?

15. Kamauhotep

Kamauhotep New Member

Same here I have carried 45 on duty but my personal carry is the g26. I'm considering the 27 so I can alternate

16. Kamauhotep

Kamauhotep New Member

I always carry one in the chamber. As long as your trigger guard is covered

17. phburks

phburks New Member

For sure ask forgiveness, not permission, for something like this lol. One of my latest tactics is that I've stopped complaining when my wife wants to buy shoes. She's pretty good with money so I know she won't go overboard, but somehow she never has "enough" shoes. I just let her do her thing without me complaining, and I always bring that point up if she complains about the toys I buy. Lol

18. phburks

phburks New Member

I carry one in the chamber.

19. G30USMC

I also carry one in the chamber 100% of the time !!!!

20. bones72

bones72 New Member

Chambered all the time. Not much use if it's not if you need it in a hurry IMHO :)