Getting caught with a stolen gun

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by clip11, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clip11

clip11 New Member

What are the consequences of getting caught with a stolen gun especially if you're a felon?

2. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Not 100% for sure, but I would assume that the individual involved should be tough enough to be the pitcher rather than the catcher in the shower house and at lights out.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The stolen gun is frosting on the cake. Being a convicted felon in possession of ANY firearm is a Federal felony- usually starts at 5 years in a Federal pen. No probation, no parole. Google "Operation Exile".

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

This a serious question? Answer: You get to be an incarcerated felon.

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I hope no one here is stupid enough to be a felon with a gun, let alone a stolen gun!

6. clip11

clip11 New Member

I meant as in how much time would you get.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Looks to be upto 5 years for felony possession, 15 years if a repeat offender, plus whatever for unlawful possession, receiving stolen property and any crime being committed with the gun. In short it could be a long time.

8. freefall

freefall New Member

I've wondered about this when you buy a gun from an ad in the paper or on the grocery store bulletin board. I always get a bill of sale and write their drivers license # on it. But still, you wonder.

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

clip11, you can't leave it at that. We gotta know why you ask. What's the story?

Anyhoo, first if the felon has been paroled prior to completing the full felony conviction sentence, the remainder gets put on first. Plus, I believe a mandatory 5 years no parole. Then, as stated before, time for receiving stolen property, possession of stolen property. If the stolen gun comes back as being used in any other crime, then the felon is gonna get hit with that as well. In some instances, depending upon the first felony conviction, additional time can be added. For instance, second offense in a gun crime carries more time. First degree felony with weapons and bodily harm could make the judge decide on maximum. If the prior conviction is for something non-gun or non-violence related, the judge may be a bit easier on the felon.

I wanna know why you ask...:cool:

10. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I recommend soap on the rope, cause your screwed. If in doubt have the numbers ran by the police first. Its easy. look at the gun, write down the numbers, have them ran. Oh and a dead giveaway its stolen is there are no numbers.

11. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Prior to the gun control act of 1968, many firearms such as some .22 rifles didn't have serial numbers. There's still quite a few of them "floating" around.

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Yes, I have an old bolt action 22 without serial numbers. But I bought it at a pawn shop years ago. I am pretty sure it is not stolen.

13. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Why hasn't this thread been locked?

14. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Clip is always asking the wack-job questions...

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Guys what part of DON'T GIVE OUT LEGAL ADVICE don't you get.

Please defer your desire to help someone in need of a lawyer by providing legal advice. You won't get in trouble but the FTF will/could get it's t*t in a wringer.

When one of these threads shows, up just hit the report button [​IMG] and let the mods know. We will handle the question.

The FTF flunked it’s Bar exam.

Only a fool would seek legal advice from a public forum and has a fool for his counselor.

The only thing more stupid than sourcing legal advice from a public forum is providing said advice!

Just tell them to ask a lawyer, a "gun friendly" lawyer.

Thanks,

The management:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.