getting an ar built but its down to the barrel

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Ultimate_sig, May 24, 2012.

1. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Im getting into competition shooting. Im getting a 5.56 built but the barrel is the only thing im not sure about. Iknow i want a sts ,rome lined barrel and i want it flutted but theres so many to choose from which would be the most accurate and reliable. Heres a pic of a diamond flutted bull barrel but it doesnt have threads and i want threads. If i got a bull barrel threaded would it hurt the quality of it

ForumRunner_20120524_041014.jpg

Attached Files:

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Going after one of the pretty barrels may not get you many replies. Chrome lined, more than likely will not be among the more accurate barrels out there.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Depends on the type of competition.

4. Fixer

Fixer New Member

Agreed, accuracy and what you have don't jive. flutes are used for adding surface for cooling. they change the harmonics of a barrel..could be good could be bad...you dont know. chrome lining even after double or triple lapping isnt as good as a cut, non-chrome lining barrel. You don't want this CHF (cold hammer forged) stuff either if accuracy is what you are looking for. I trust guys like Mark Larue and Geoffrey Kolbe on things like this. Both are noted metallurgist, machinist and barrel manufacturers.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  5. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Like JonM said it depends on the competition. If you're going to be slinging it or running and gunning that pig won't work. If you're shooting from a bench, weight is good.

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

1) That diamond fluting pattern looks purely cosmetic. Doesn't look like it removes enough material to make much of a weight difference no does it look like it changes the surface area to volume ratio dramatically. I'd pass on that type of fluting for any sort of competition.

2) What specific type of competition are you running? For a long distance type, prone or bench slow fire, a heavy contour with a target crown would probably be your best bet, look for match type chambers. For faster run and gun events with higher rates of fire, a lighten fluted barrel with a compensator would be probably be what you are looking for.

7. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Its gunna be a 3 gun competition. Alright forget flutes. I want the mosf accurate barrel fof the money. Does it help if its stainless steel.

Heres what i have a guy building me
    its a cmmg lower with forward assist it has a nickel bored bolt group. Dpms pin kit. Im gunna make sure its a sts or nickel hammer heard that helps. The charging handle is going have an extension. Its gunna have yankee hill rails thats all i know so far

8. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Horrible barrel choice for 3Gun.

I would personally put a halt to this build so you can research it a little more. From what I've read it would be in your best interest to gain a little more knowledge before spending your money. It sounds like your just throwing parts together. Some of which you don't know much about.

9. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Picking it up 2moro will post pics

10. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

What barrel?

11. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Hey all here it is. Got a flutted h barrel, with forward assist, nickel bored bolt action, all on a cmmg reciver with a goose neck yhm freefloat carbine guad rails

imagejpeg_2_3.jpg

imagejpeg_2_2.jpg

12. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Interesting choices.

Why did you choose a stainless for 3 gun?

What kind of ammo are you running?

Does that barrel have a life expectancy that is good for you?

Have you considered getting your barrel FNC'd after break in?

Is that a 16" barrel?

13. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

What is fnced and yea it will last awhile

14. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Yes it is a 16 inch and i heard that sts barrel is more accurate and last longer. It is a match grade barrel

15. Fixer

Fixer New Member

It has been shown that when broken in and used normally, SS will last longer than Chrom-moly. But...
    1) you must follow the break in proceedures (search the net for them)
    2) accuracy will degrade quickly at first, then level out to the same as a CM
    3) firing long strings, magazine dumps and bumpfiring will cause it to wear faster than CM.

16. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I'm going to be painfully honest here. That is a horrible choice for 3gun. If whoever built that for you knew you wanted a 3gun rig they need to rethink their motives. They should have interjected, assuming they knew what they were doing.

You're probably getting upset at me but I'm doing you a favor. The rail is to short, barrel way to heavy. It's a bad combination for 3gun. Use this AR w/ any regularity and you'll see why.

One last thing. Why bother us here on the site for guidance if you're going to dismiss it regardless?

17. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

To make your barrel last up to 3 or 4 times longer, you can get your barrel FNC'd.

If you read the guides in the stickies at the top of the forum you should know what FNC is.

If you didn't, read them, never to late.

FNC stand for Ferritic NitroCarburization, aka Melontite and Tennifer. Its a surface hardening treatment that will increase barrel life and will no affect accuracy.

Who made your barrel? Who made the blanks? What kind of steel is it?

Becareful of relying on specs alone when evaluating choices. They are very useful for comparison and evaluation but they never tell the whole story.

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'm not sure if you can properly FNC stainless. Anyway it's normally done to carbon steel.

19. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Will atleast he will have a pretty rifle.