Getting a job at a gun shop

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by texaswoodworker, Oct 28, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I plan on moving to the Fort Worth/Arlington area next year so I can finish up school at UT Arlington, and I think it would be great to find a job at a gun shop. What would be the best way to go about doing this? I already know a lot about guns, but I'm always ready to learn more. Would it help my chances if I knew how to be a gun smith? If so, what should I try to learn?

Also, even know I'd LOVE to do this, I do need to make money to pay for college/bills. Do gun shops pay decent, or would I be working for peanuts?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

they pay peanuts. the odds of getting a gun shop job is small so pay is kinda a moot point.

3. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Most jobs like this are in high demand (for part time help). I run a ski/snowboard shop, there are PLENTY of younger and even older people that want to work for me. Most want a part time gig, after their regular job. The pay is low, but there are lots of perks, I suspect a gun shop is very similar.

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

deliver pizzas ... way more money than working in some small town gun shop ;)

or become a male stripper ... way more money than whatever lame azzed field of study you are throwing money at :p

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Yep, most work like any other retail job. Part time or full time with low pay and not a lot of benefits. It can also be like an alcoholic working in a bar....not always a greats net maker if you feed your habit at all.

Real gunsmiths can make some decent money, but that is pretty much a degree worthy job itself. By the time you get real machining training and experience. The right tools and establish a reputation and clientele then you have a career. There aren't many gunsmiths around any more so demand can be good for a certified gunsmith.

Being an armorer is a bit different, but even to be competitive there for a gunship job you'd need experience or a reputation for it to count in hiring.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Unless you own the shop or are a gunsmith you won't make much. I don't even get payed for working the shop (currently) I do however keep what I make from smith work and the owner profits from the parts I order because I use the company credit card to place the orders. He actually makes more than I do from a trigger job. Lol
    I make good money when I have work and I benefit from getting dealer pricing from a few more distributors.
    95% of what I make goes back into the shop anyway. Basically I work for free.

7. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I don't get a paycheck yet for owning my shop :(

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have turned down a few job offers because I would go broke working in a shop. I know several retired guys working in gun shops just to pay for their shooting supplies. They usually dont pay enough for someone young with a family to support.

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

We will get there buddy. Lol

10. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

You're in MA right? What store?

11. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

He's at Old Mill it's in his signature.

12. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Oh and to the OP DON'T GET A JOB AT A GUN SHOP! Not only does the pay suck but you spend your entire paycheck at the same shop that's paying you like crap :D

13. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yep again. Lol
    Unless you have a much needed skill.
    I know the new and up and coming firearms and I can reverse engineer any gun you put in my hands. My boss is a pro with older guns and knows the ins and outs of the business.

14. FullautoUSA

In Leomentser?
    You get hit with the storm like we did in Worcester County?

15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yep. Ripped our sign out of the ground so we packed all the guns in the vault and called it a day.

16. FullautoUSA

Power here was out for a few hours, just got it back on recently.

17. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Hey mountain, have you guys gotten in any XDSs? If so have they been selling quick?

18. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

No we haven't. Probably not ma compliant. 90% of what is ma compliant is on backorder. It's a nightmare right now. We were lucky to get a few shields in.