Get What You Pay For

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by jeepcreep927, Jul 11, 2009.

1. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I have a .223 Bergara barrel for a T/C Encore and it's really accurate, however it leaves a "ring" for lack of a better term, all the way around the fired case about 1/2" from the case head. I am not getting any pressure issues, and the "ring" is visible inside the chamber to the naked eye, I assume from the reamer wobbling?

The ring left on the fire formed case is approximately 1/8" wide, and easily visible. My case length does not differ from rounds of the same loading and trim length fired from my AR's (first firing after trimming).

Aside from limiting my case life, do any of you guys, or ladies, see a major problem by continuing to use it in this condition? I planned on having it reamed to 22-30/30 AI eventually, but wanted a .223 for the summer. Thanks.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A POSSIBLE concern is excessive headspace. About where the ring is forming is where the brass starts to thin out. If brass is not being supported, and stretches "backwards", it will show up on brass. Potential is failure of the cartridge case on firing.

Would get it checked on a go/no go pretty quick.

3. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

+1 on what c3shooter said. Especially if you shoot reloads, its a case
    failure waiting to happen IMHO.

4. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I figured a case failure would be the most likely event. I measured the neck length against ones from the same loading fired from another rifle and there is no difference, so I assume it's just bulging to fire form to the flaw in the chamber for now, but will start stretching backwards the more I reload them. I am thinking the action will bind (best case scenario), or the case will rupture. I'll just send it back. Thanks guys.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009