Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a little Savage 93 rifle in 17HMR for father's day. Went out today to get some ammo and...what? Barely any to be found and a 1-box limit at a place I managed to find some.

Not more than 2-3 weeks ago, 17HMR was plentiful...now it's suddenly not (of course, now that I have a rifle to shoot it, lol).

Lady at one of LGS's told me I better get it while I can because they've been told by their suppliers that rimfire stuff is heading into a "shortage 2.0", as they called it.

22LR is quite plentiful at the moment (even Walmart now has their ammo case full), but I'm going to keep an eye on it. If this supposed "shortage 2.0" is coming, we should see it disappear again too.

So, just a heads up, any of you want or need any rimfire ammo, better get it now...

Great....

Premium Member
Just bought some .17 HMR a week ago. Seemed plentiful at the time. I am going to check some local shops tomorrow. .22 LR is also quite plentiful with prices declining鈥鈥檒l look again tomorrow. I wonder if they weren鈥檛 just saying that there was another shortage coming to urge sales.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt it, they were limiting ammo to 1 box. Of the 4 LGS's I went to, 2 had none. 1 had a single box of Hornady 20 grainers (which I bought), and the last one had 4 boxes of CCI 17 grainers, so I bought the 1 box they allowed me.

Premium Member
I doubt it, they were limiting ammo to 1 box. Of the 4 LGS's I went to, 2 had none. 1 had a single box of Hornady 20 grainers (which I bought), and the last one had 4 boxes of CCI 17 grainers, so I bought the 1 box they allowed me.
I will look locally here tomorrow and post what I find. That might not be a full picture, but at least a bit more info. Another shortage will be the pits!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not trying to start some sort of OMG panic moment, but I have found that when my LGS's start having trouble getting stuff or begin running out and the staff start mentioning shortages or hard to get, it's usually the initial vestiges of what's to come. Not always, but usually. If this is the beginning of another rimfire ammo shortage, it makes sense that the big boys like Midway still have a good supply. I guess they'll become the real marker, so to speak. If Midway, or other larger online retailers start running low, then we'll know.

Also, I've found that ammoseek can be a sort of indicator as well. Search for certain ammo and see what the list looks like. As shortages do hit, that list starts getting shorter and shorter...

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Premium Member
Just trying to learn a little here but why not use a light 223 round to get the job done?

Other questions: Are these rounds report very loud and what's the effective range of them?

Questions sometimes lead to ownership don't ya know. This hobby can get addictive....duh. :ROFLMAO: 馃槉

Premium Member
Just trying to learn a little here but why not use a light 223 round to get the job done?

Other questions: Are these rounds report very loud and what's the effective range of them?

Questions sometimes lead to ownership don't ya know. This hobby can get addictive....duh. :ROFLMAO: 馃槉
It is pretty quiet, a little more crack than .22lr. It is quite effective on grass rats out to 100+ yards. I never really considered pushing the range out with the cartridge, but 200 is very doable I think. I really don鈥檛 use it much, but I have a .17 HMR barrel for my CZ 455. Others will probably have better insight as to effective range. Shooting grass rats is not quite as colorful with the little .17 as with a centerfire like .223 or .22-250.

Registered

A 223 would definitely get the job done but it would absolutely destroy a squirrel.

They are loud. After all it is a 22 magnum necked down to a .17 caliber bullet.
Wind will have an effect on the little laser beam bullet so hold accordingly.

Savage makes a very good 17HMR. You should check one out SG I think you will like it.

Premium Member
A 223 would definitely get the job done but it would absolutely destroy a squirrel.

They are loud. After all it is a 22 magnum necked down to a .17 caliber bullet.
Wind will have an effect on the little laser beam bullet so hold accordingly.

Savage makes a very good 17HMR. You should check one out SG I think you will like it.
Thanks Artie and AW. Yeah, I can see where it would blow up little rodents. I'm afraid to check one out. You know what would happen. Check out at the counter would be next....

Registered

A .223 can only dump so much energy into a squirrel. 95% of the energy would go straight through to take out somebody mowing the grass a mile away.
A red tip .17 hmr has much less energy overall but it dumps all of that energy in the first 4" leaving a massive 1" hole and sending impressive but perfectly safe pink mist and lead powder out the back instead of a still fast and intact bullet. It's much safer to shoot up into the trees than even a shotgun because if you miss and hit a twig, the tiny bullet will still explode and become perfectly safe. This also makes it great for varmint hunting because a glancing blow will still be devastating and remove a large chunk of meat. If they make polymer tipped .223 I think that would be great for pigs and deer but a squirrel isn't enough to get a 50ish grain projectile to completely vaporize.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Checkout at the counter is the goal!! 馃榿 Any excuse to get a new gun is a good thing! "I don't have one in that caliber" is always a top reason. If you can pair that with "and it would be perfect for...." just makes it mandatory!

Premium Member
Checkout at the counter is the goal!! 馃榿 Any excuse to get a new gun is a good thing! "I don't have one in that caliber" is always a top reason. If you can pair that with "and it would be perfect for...." just makes it mandatory!
Man, can anyone even hope for better friends than that!! Another day, another gun!

Premium Member
I stopped at four stores today to see what rimfire ammo was available and if anyone was limiting purchase quantities. Every store had ample supplies of .17 HMR, .22 WMR, and .22 LR. Even in our small rural community there was plenty and no limits on purchase. Talked to folks at a shop in the city and they said there was no indication of any shortage now or in the immediate future of any rimfire ammo, but they did note that anything could happen. Cabelas and Academy had abundant rimfire ammo. I found some .22鈥檚 that my CZ455 always shoots pretty good and I picked up a couple boxes of .17 HMR too. $72 for the .22鈥檚 and $17 per box on the .17 HMR.

Material property Electronic device Electric blue Font Box

1 - 20 of 25 Posts