Get Home Bag for wife

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by fireguy, Jan 14, 2012.

1. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I'm putting together a GHB for my wife to keep in the car with her. It is much more difficult than the one I did for myself. I have to keep in mind that she is much smaller than I am and unfortunately does not have the same outdoor skillsets and experience that I do. Training is definitely needed.

The rationale for this is that a catastrophe or unrest could prevent her from returning home while she is traveling. Typically she only drives three miles to work and back. At times she can be as far as three hours away because of her job. Having a small store of food, water, means of providing shelter, change of clothing, light, heat, first aid kit, and water purification is necessary for her to make it home or to stay alive in inclimate weather.

Because she in only 5'4" I got her a small pack that has padded shoulder straps, sternum strap, and waist belt. These features make hauling a load much more comfortable. I was surprised and pleased that while I was packing the supplies I have gotten so far that she came to me with a handful of feminine supplies. The girl has some smarts! My goal is to make it possible for her to make it for at least three days with the food included.
    Here is a list of what I have gotten so far.

Explorer pack with four compartments and water bladder pouch.
    4 Mainstay food bars 400 calorie each, assorted flavors
    5 instant cocoa packets
    1 each beef and chicken Ramen Noodle pack.
    Eat'n Tool combination spork
    Compact headlamp with 10 hour battery life. Need to pack spare 2023 batteries.
    Compact shovel for digging a Dakota fire pit or covering waste.
    Portable Aqua Chlorine Dioxide tabs. Each tablet purifies one quart of water.
    Feminine napkins.
    US Army first aid kit
    Emergency blanket (mylar).
    Waterproof matches
    Magnesium fire starter
    Kershaw folding knife
    Can of Pepper Foam spray
    Small bottle of hand sanitizer
    Small bottle of liquid camp soap
    2 US Army triangular bandages (cravats)
    1 pint stainless steel bottle
    Box of Trioxane bars
    3 large trash bags

There are some things I don't have yet, on the list so far is a one quart canteen with cup and canteen stove. Freeze dried meals. Instant coffee and sugar. She needs to pack a couple pairs of socks, change of underwear, a pair of comfortable and rugged pants, and her hiking boots.

Next time I'm in a surplus store or gun show I'll get her a couple of Combat Casualty blankets. These are way stronger than the mylar emergency blankets with reflective on one side and OD on the other. They have grommets and can make an excellent shelter. I know there is more to do and I'm working on it. I'm glad she is onboard with this. She has thanked me a couple of times already for doing this, makes me feel like she has gotten away from being a sheep. Now I need to work harder on getting her comfortable with a handgun. I have two that are small and would work well as defense weapons that would pack easily. I'm currently packing my Keltec P11 in my GHB. The trouble is keeping is fairly light, hopefully below 25 pounds or so.

2. Papa_Woody

Papa_Woody New Member

Good for you. Me and the misses just started on hers and our children's. Ours is definitely a Get The Hell out of The City Bag (GTHootCB) lol

3. bkt

bkt New Member

Thanks for posting this. You've given me some good ideas...I'm trying to put together a GHB for my wife, too.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

great idea...a battery powered radio (9v), emergency cash, gloves, scarf, hat and sun glasses might all come in handy as well.

5. woody63m

woody63m New Member

6. fireguy

fireguy New Member

That's the problem, the list can keep growing until you can't carry it. In my bag I didn't learn to quit and it is a load. Hopefully it can stay in the truck and get driven. If I have to haul it I might ditch some things depending on the season/weather.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Or force yourself to rotate things seasonally...that also helps to ensure that all batteries and other perishables are fresh and up-to-date.

8. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

A roll or two of Life-Savers candy. Simple, inexpensive, and they keep for practically ever. These simple candies can relieve some of the stress that goes with a disaster. Even a short relief of stress can lead to better and potentially life-saving clear thinking.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Look at a 38 spl revolver like the LCR. Add a few speed strips and a box of Critical Defense.

10. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I have a J fram S&W 640 that I think I can get her to handle all right. It'll shoot .38 or .357. When I got it she remarked that it was a gun she thought she could shoot. She just hasn't gone out with me to shoot since I picked it up at the end of last summer.

11. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

In the ways of a firearm what I did for my dads truck was get him a flare gun at walmart for $30 and then we got a flare gun .22 cal slide in to make it a .22pistol aswell. That way he has a flare gun and pistol. Light and cheap ammo (can carry a LOT) plus you eliminate the need for carrying both. Flares can be used for signaling, defense, and to start a fire and with the .22 slide in you can get some dinner or have defense. The slide in was $40 and weighs no more than a flare :)

12. JTJ

The 640 would work fine. I was trying to keep it as light as possible. I would still give her the 38spl +P loads to manage recoil. The 357 would add some power and availability to the ammo supply. If you or she wants an auto, I would look at the Kahr CW9. Not badly priced and very good quality with a nice trigger. Much better than that P11. I traded my P11 and $300 OTD for a new XD45 compact and then took advantage of the XD promo for 3 free mags.

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I would also include in your wifes bag a 20+ mile 2 way radio , realistically these are good for about 8 miles in open country but you might be able to use them later , We have 4 of these one for each member in our family , you never know when your going to need them

14. fireguy

fireguy New Member

My buddy and I have been talking about using GMRS radios for just this purpose. We have a set already as well as a pair of FRS. We don't carry them in the vehicles, though. Need to change that. I almost always have my fire department hand held radio with me. If repeaters are up I can be a up to 60 miles from home and have commo. Without repeaters it is just line of sight, probably no more than 5 or 6 miles depending on terrain.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Easy to overload. +100 on Lifesaver candy. Would skip soap, sanitizer can be used as firestarter. Add a pair of 72" bootlaces. Small, light, can be used to tie things to pack, rig blanket for shelter, or as a bootlace. Kershaw is good- but how about a Leatherman instead? Do not overdo food if this is a 3 day pack, although instant cocoa and instant oatmeal is light and small. Small amount of cash and coins (vending machines that may still work)

Edit:Toilet paper suggestion below is very good- or a couple of the pocket packs of Kleenex. Forgot- to first aid stash, include a few tablets of Immodium anti- diarrheal. Bad water/ bad food/ stress- and dehydration from that can kill you.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  16. shadamai

shadamai New Member

May I also recommend some toilet paper? I found a nice compact size in Walmart's camping section which I keep in my get home bag.

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Get licensed for amateur radio. Your handheld can reach out a long ways depending on conditions. We have both mobile in the vehicles and handhelds on board as well. Just tonight I was talking to a guy on a handheld from Seaside, a distance of somewhere around 30 miles. That was pretty much line of sight.

18. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Toilet paper is on the list. Probably a travel package of moist wipes, too. Having a sense of cleanliness will give my wife a big boost in her morale. I have learned this through many camping trips. I have Immodiur that I purchased a while back for my bag. I just need to get a container made up for her and put some in it.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Charmin makes little camping kits that are about a half roll without the cardboard tube, the come in a handy little semi rigid plastic case.

Personally, I don't like charmin, it leaves dingle berries.

20. JTJ

A hatchet with a belt sheath is one of the best survival tools you can have. I would take a hatchet over a knife if I had to choose one or the other. A hatchet and small knife over a large knife.