Get down to it!- Best sight for under $200?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Bronco141414, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Bronco141414

Bronco141414 New Member

Woops... another sight question again. I have had the opportunity to fire my AR a few times now and i think i am ready for a red dot/ scope. Here are a few that i found!

Lucid HD7 $190 and a 2x magnifier can be purchased for around $40
    http://www.amazon.com/LUCID-HD7-Red-Dot-Sight/dp/B004BDLJX4

Optisan 1-4x24 SCOPE. I like this as i have the option of zoom along with a sort of red-dot feel (has red and green reticles).
    http://swfa.com/Optisan-1-4x24-Mamba-EAR30-Mount-Combo-P51887.aspx

Ahh the good old bushnell (from what i heard). Trophy TRS-25 It doesnt look badass but seems like a good budget friendly option.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-Sight-Riflescope/dp/B00CIY7JAU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

And finally the Vortex Strikefire. Seems solid like the Lucid HD7 but i think it comes with a 2x magnifier.
    http://www.amazon.com/Vortex®-StrikeFire-Rifle-Scope-Suitable/dp/B001Q8GEWS

I am not looking for anthing crazy-crazy like a Eotech or such. I don't need a hardcore crazy expensive $600 sight. Just need something good for the range.

2. Bronco141414

Bronco141414 New Member

To add to this, i noticed the Lucid HD7 is made in the USA

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Never heard of Optisan.

The others get mostly decent reviews.

I have experience with the Bushnell an dhave been happy with mine. Tried it on a AR and a Marlin .30-30. Worked well for the price.

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

The Lucid HD7 is not made in the US. The parts are sourced in the US and its assembled in China, however dont let that steer you away it is a fabulous optic , Jason designed this fabulous line of optics for the budget minded people . If it was 100% made here in the US it would cost you $500-600 . Its well worth more than the current price . It has a lifetime warranty and it sits right up top in performance with and above some of the larger high dollar manufacturers .
    Vortex also makes great optics with a no BS warranty .
    The Bushnell Trs-25 is another great unit , but the one i bought needed a riser , which I think they now come with .

I own all of these including a Aimpoint and my favorite is the Lucid .

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  5. Bronco141414

Bronco141414 New Member

With the Lucid, what riser mounts would I need? If anything? Don't know how scopes and sights go! First time!

6. Bronco141414

Bronco141414 New Member

I narrowed it down to lucid and vortex. Which one shall win? Vortex it's cheaper and comes with a 2x magnifier... !

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I find the 2x multliplier just a cheap bonus add on that I never use . If you want or need magnification you should be looking at a scope . You wont need anything with the lucid as far as risers its all built in . The lucid reticle will be brighter even in really bright sunlight than the vortex, multi reticle on the lucid, and it uses AAA batteries which are more common every where and cheaper . The lucid also has auto brightness which happens within miliseconds of a light change so no delay like other cheap optics . . This is not a feature on the vortex. Both are really great optics and both have great customer service . Both have auto shut off . You wont go wrong with either , but we all have our own favorites and to me the Lucid is worth the extra $$$.

8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

1) Vortex Sparc- Aimpoint Micro ripoff. Love it! Lightweight, simple, no frills. Can be had for $150-180.

2) Vortex Strikefire- Aimpoint Pro ripoff. Performs as well as the Sparc, but heavier and bulkier. $120.

3) Lucid HD7- Excellent optic, but quite bulky and heavy. That's a deterrant for me, but many don't mind the extra weight. Great $200 option if you don't mind the weight.

4) Bushnell TRS-25- This is the only one I have no experience with, so consider that. I may buy one for a recent build. Generally reviews are solid for this $80-120 optic.

9. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

I have all of these and favor the lucid HD7. It can hang with sight 2-3x the price.

10. mountaineergunner

mountaineergunner New Member

Im a big fan of AR optics by bushnell. I like the drop zone 223 reticle. They have them priced from 150 to 250.

11. Bronco141414

Bronco141414 New Member

12. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I just ordered the Sparc 2 from Primary Arms last night. it's on enroute to me as we speak.
    PSA has the previous generation Sparc for $139. Once the Sparc 2 is widely available on online retailers/ local dealers, i'm sure the Sparc price will go down even more.
    Can't go wrong with Vortex, great customer service and lifetime warranty.

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Good review! It's an excellent optic for the price, and surely among the best for under $200. I've played with them a bit but don't own one. Maybe someday that will change. The Lucid HD7 is a little bulky/heavy. So if that's a deterrant you should avoid it, and otherwise it should be near the top of the list when it comes to budget/value RDS.

One note regarding video- Using a wrench/ratchet to tighten the rail mounting screws rather than a screwdriver will generally result in a tighter fit and less scars on the parts...just one of those things I've learned from my own mistakes.

I prefer the Vortex Sparc, but wouldn't hesitate to buy the Lucid if it fit my build scheme.