Germany ranks 4th in gun ownership

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Jagermeister, May 11, 2013.

1. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  2. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Whos 2nd and 3rd? I would assume the u.s. is at the top of the list.

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

According to per capita data, Germany comes in fourth place behind the United States, Switzerland and Finland for private gun ownership, ahead of Mexico, South Africa and Russia.

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

That is fascinating to learn.:)

5. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

The Polizie dont handle criminals with Kid Gloves, own all the guns you want but when you break the law, they arent anything you want to mess with.

Anyone who spent time in W Germany before the Wall fell knows why they are so highly armed. The eastern border was 100% dangerous, The Czechs and East Germans were nothing to sneeze at, within 10 minutes of the SHTF, the 1K zone would have been like the western front; if the Rads werent highly armed, the french would be readying to surrender yet again...

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I moved to Germany in the early eighties and spent most my life over here. I am 42 now. Seen lots of changes with the fall of the wall and reunification. I think West Germany was a better place to live then the unified Germany. We had to deal with the Red Army Faction, but I felt very safe over here. Crime is and was extremely low, although it is starting to get worse due to Eastern Europeans. Many West Germans wish the wall was still up.

7. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think its that simple America has high firearms ownership but also has a high murder rate compared to some other countries. Rates are calculated per 100,000 inhabitants .
    Germany is similar to the UK.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  8. WebleyFosbery38

Thats a great point, it clearly shows that Guns arent the problem, people are! Technically, we allow allot of bad people into our borders and dont stop the homegrown ones we have from breeding!

Heres a fact, 27 dead caused by a single drunk driver, thats something we could worry about, your likely to be affected by drunks one way or another, I lost my Dad and my Sister 5o years later to boozing and almost died myself.

Another figure, hundreds maimed and a handful of dead from prior identified Terrorists inside our borders (we also gave them welfare).

50,000,000 ground up fetuses since R-v-W(mostly from the poor and minorities) and hundreds of millions to come isnt scary to us?

How about 10,000+ of innocent people dead and injured every year from a failed war on drugs?

180,000 Hospital caused deaths yearly isnt a real concern but 100,000,000 to 1 odds of being shot in a public school is?

When will we account for 150,000 of our dead and wounded children from 3 wars we won but never left?

Guns Per Capita is all a distraction from historical time tested facts, guns dont kill people, people kill people!

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

But if you try to talk about the links between the increases in violence and the increases in diversity, you get called bad names.

10. stratrider

stratrider New Member

Interesting article. It inspired me to do an online search of German gun manufacturers. The following is a list of what I found. Some I knew of, some I did not:
    1. J. G. Anschütz GmbH & Co. KG
    2. Haemmerli
    3. Heckler and Koch
    4. Mauser
    5. Rheinmetall AG
    6. Sig Arms
    7. Walther
    8. Merkel
    9. Krieghoff (Drilling combo rifle/shotguns $$$$$$$$$$)
    Did I miss any?

11. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

that sure seems strange to me. i have german family and friends, and the way they explained it to me....it is very hard to own guns in germany and not very common at all. i took my german friends shooting and it was the first time they had ever shot anything other than a pellet gun.

12. hawkguy

wait....i've always heard canada has a lot of gun owners. i would have assumed far more than germany, at the very least per capita.

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

For strictly AR rifle companies you have Oberland Arms, Schmeisser and Hera Arms. My AR is made by Hera Arms. Yes, there is an AR community over here to include competitions.

14. manta

People believe that about the UK as well and are incorrect as well.

The list is for 2007 and has probably changed a bit.

The United States owns more guns per resident, at around 0.89, than any other nation in the world. The U.S. has over 50% more gun-owners than the next two highest nations, Serbia and Yemen at about 0.55 and three times as many as major European countries such as France and Germamy.

List of countries by number of guns. 2007.

Country. Guns per 100 thousand. Rank.
    United States 88.8 1
    Yemen 54.8 2
    Switzerland 45.7 3
    Finland 45.3 4 32 [5]
    Serbia 37.8 5 58.2[6]
    Cyprus 36.1 6
    Saudi Arabia 35 7
    Iraq 34.2 8
    Uruguay 31.8 9
    Sweden 31.6 10
    Norway 31.3 11
    France 31.2 12
    Canada 30.8 13
    Austria 30.4 14
    Germany 30.3 15
    Iceland 30.3 15
    Oman 25.5 17
    Bahrain 24.8 18
    Kuwait 24.8 18
    Republic of Macedonia 24.1 20
    Montenegro 23.1 21
    New Zealand 22.6 22 1993: 26.8.[2]
    Greece 22.5 23
    United Arab Emirates 22.1 24
    Northern Ireland 21.9 25

15. WebleyFosbery38

Another factor not considered in these numbers, The USA being one of the wealthiest nations in the world, we also have many of the most avid collectors in the world also, I know lots of folks who have 15 or 20 and most never leave the cabinet. How many collectors do you think are in most South American countries, most of those are drug lords? All things being equal, they rarely are.

Someone mentioned France; BWAha, they may not have many weapons but they sell their products to anyone that will buy them!

16. hawkguy

i believe this because it came straight form the mouths of people who live there. :confused: you should have seen the looks on their faces when i took them to an academy.....:eek:

interesting. thanks for posting. but is the data saying US only has 88 guns per 100 thou residents? that seems way off to me...but, i'm from texas....i think guns per 100 thou here is about 99 thou....lmao! almost everyone i know has 1 or more gun.

i thought everyone put privately owned guns in america at around 200-300 million?

17. manta

All true what people also don't take into consideration is that there is not the same interest in firearms and owning firearms in most European countries as there is in America. Among my acquaintances very few have a interest in firearms and have no idea what the firearms laws are in their own country. Its not so much that firearms are hard to get in European countries more that people just have no interest.

18. RemFire

RemFire New Member

True manta, if guns were as easily obtainable here as in the US would people suddenly rush to buy them?. Nope, because of a total culture difference.

Same reason our homicide rate wouldn't suddenly increase, those who want to kill do it anyway, people will do what they will do. My only prediction might be more spree killers?, especially with the instant fame guaranteed to them by the media.

I don't see Americas 4.7/100K homicide rate as gun related, again just people doing what they will do. The thing is nobody would even care about that figure if it wasn't for all the high profile spree killings with firearms, they are what damage the reputation of large scale private gun ownership and prompt the huge criticisms.