Firearms Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
THIS is a German training rifle - Walther Sportmodel 1 - slightly bubbae'd sometime before 1954. when the UK Proof Houses stopped putting 'not English make' on foreign-made guns.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
See all the proof marks?

Can you please show us all the markings on this rifle you've found?

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
It looks like a Duetche Werke Werk Efurt model 1 22 cal boys rifle. Yours looks really crude compared to most examples. Knock-off? Poor repair? Cobbled together out of whatever during WWII? Everything I see says production stopped in 1939.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
It looks like a Duetche Werke Werk Efurt model 1 22 cal boys rifle. Yours looks really crude compared to most examples. Knock-off? Poor repair? Cobbled together out of whatever during WWII? Everything I see says production stopped in 1939.ATTACH=full]243995[/ATTACH]
Agree 100% I've never seen one so hacked about, though. It is called a Knabenbuchse - Boy's rifle - not to be confused with the Boys antitank rifle used by the British and Commonwealth, though! Like most German guns of the era they are thin on the ground, but in that awful condition, so $300, at most.

The training rifles - called by the generic name of DSM - Deutsche Sport Model [wink wink] - were made by a variety of major firearms manufacturers between 1933 and the outbreak of hostilities. They were in the shape of a scaled-down replica of the K98K service arm, and were used by the Hitler Youth for 'shooting sports training'.
Anybody with even half an eye could see that they were made to teach baby nazis from age 12 how to handle the real thing - even the sights were the same, as were the slings and attachments. Mine, converted before I ever saw it to a more sporting appearance, had the giveaway top handguard and barrel band removed, and the sling attachment and bolt takedown locations filled in - badly, by a British bubba.

Here's one from Simpsons, with a rather optimistic $4500 price tag - mind you, it IS marked SA - Sturm Abteilung - those two letters each costing around a thousand dollars each...

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
What about a value ?
It looks like yours has been repaired on the right side and the rear sight is broken off (sight
was a simple V at the front of the sheet metal). Overall finish and condition is poor.
If the bore is good it might be a $75 rifle here in the Pacific NW.
If the bore is bad, maybe half that if someone needed a parts rifle.
In good condition it might bring $200 here. Just my opinion--and probably worth exactly
what you paid for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts