German "Puppy" 22 cal revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by trstncmpbll, Jul 13, 2011.

1. trstncmpbll

trstncmpbll New Member

My aunt has a 22 cal revolver that she got from germany. its a stub nose and the serial is 68815
    I cant find anything on them besides the fact that in 1958 an american company made replicas
    Anyone know anything about this revolver?
    Thank you all so much for your help and support

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      94.8 KB
      Views:
  2. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Revolver of pocket with retractable trigger, produced in small calibers - 22, 5,5 mm, 6,35 mm ACP - generally of the type "Vélodog". There were innumerable alternatives - with internal striker, reduced striker, large qtriker, box frame, screwed carcass - and the majority were largely decorated.

3. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

looks kinda like an Rohm RG10 to me. does it have any other markings?

4. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

"looks kinda like an Rohm RG10 to me. does it have any other markings? "
    I agree with donthav1, it looks like a RG
    Very poor guns

5. trstncmpbll

trstncmpbll New Member

its my aunts gun she lives in another state ill find out, thanks guys

6. 4HSHOOT4LIFE

4HSHOOT4LIFE New Member

I just aquired this exact pistol,serial #41629 a little more worn than the one pictured and with same markings "Made in Germany" "puppy" on the pistol grip.Would also appreciate any extra info anyone might have on this.

THX

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Looks like a pewter & plastic Rohm to me too -

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Puppy has been used by several makers of small handguns. The one shown was made by Rohm.

They were a machine tool maker that began making low dollar firearms of indifferent quality in the 1950s in Sontheim/Brensz. The most common brand used was RG (Rohm Gemeinschaft, or GmbH). These usually had pot metal frames, and a pot metal barrel with a steel liner. They did make a blank gun that was almost identical to the .22 revolver.

The 1968 Gun Control Act blocked import into the US of guns of this nature, and some effort was made to shift production to the US. In 1986 they stopped production of firearms, and in 2010 left the gun making business entirely, selling their line to Umarex.

Used by John Hinkley in his attempt to kill Pres. Reagan.

Reliability of these has traditionally be extremely low, to the point of absurdity. Value of an RG in Good condition is about $50.

The notation in the 2010 Standard Catalog of firearms is "About as crummy as it gets".

9. .22M.R.F

.22M.R.F New Member

"Puppy"

Back in the day that would have been the "Saturday Night Special" referred to when trying to eliminate the importation of cheap handguns!

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Still is :rolleyes:

11. .22M.R.F

.22M.R.F New Member

Hossfly

Sure hope you were/are not looking for an argument from me cause I do agree, they were very terribly made then and I hoped they were eliminated but see a few have survived. These were as dangerous from the grip end as the barrel end. Have a great New Year!!!!!

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Not hardly ;)
    Tho is has been a few days since a "heated" discussin was around :p