german luger 9mm

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by gutz47, Nov 14, 2011.

1. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

sig luger.jpg

my mother inherited this luger from her father. he was not in the war as he got it from his uncle. not much is known about it. i doubt it has any permit or anything attached to it. anyone in my family who would know has passed on. this will be mine someday when its my moms turn to go. basically im asking all you guys anything you know about lugers and the law regarding inheriting firearms and just what the fuzz would do with it. i will bury it before i see a cop take it. also is the 50 year old ammo with it still good?:confused:

2. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

the other pistol is my sig p6 i got a few weeks back.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

The ammo should still be good if it has been stored in a well sealed container; although, they most definitely need to be inspected extremely thoroughly, and personally I just probably wouldn't use them.

I'll leave the legal issues to someone else who would know more about it, but in my state, I don't think there would be any problems, especially seeing as how I'm pretty sure it was brought back long before a lot of the dumb bass laws regarding such things were instated.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Luger? What Luger?

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Nice!!!

There are provisions for family transfers. If you live in a State or Commonwealth that you need to register every firearm separately, do so. Your Mom got it from your grandfather, she was given it in the will I would guess. She can then give it to you, no paperwork required. I can send my brother in Fla. any firearm I want as we are both in free states.

6. gutz47, check on line...

Look up your state's firearms registration and ownership laws on the state website.

Shouldn't be too hard. Inheriting a Luger is worth a bit of digging. Even some paperwork if it comes to that.

Military ammunition, stored even nominally dry and more or less uniform temperature will last dang near forever. Commercial ammunition is about the same. Unless it's been stored in standing water, it should be okay.

7. DunRanull

DunRanull New Member

It would help getting info on the pistol if you posted the markings. Post ONLY first 2 digits of serial #!!! There will be a year of manufacture and the factory name (like DWM, Erfurt, etc) Some will have a number instead of the factory name. Anything with it besides the ammo? Holster, extra mag, paperwork etc? What are the markings on the ammo box, if any? What markings/lettering are on the cartridge caseheads?
    There is a lot of info out there on the various Parabellum pistols, and the fact that it has been in your family for several generations adds to the interest. The laws concerning it will depend on the laws in your State. Some have serious registration/licensing and others do not. While Germany did field the Parabellum in ww2, production was halted in favor of the more modern P38.
    In ww1 and the years between the wars it was THE German pistol. The ammunition is PROBABLY CORROSIVE and the barrel must be swabbed out and oiled after firing to prevent corrosive salts from eating the barrel. This wouldnt be the case with modern store-bought ammo. In any event a "Luger" Parabellum is a valuable pistol these days, commanding some pricey sums.
    A nice family heirloom, and probably a good shooter too.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

DUDE! We got members from all 50 states, a couple of the territories, possessions and commonwealths, a bunch of countries OTHER than the US- and you want advice????

WHERE THE BLEEEEEEP ARE YOU ?????

Gun laws vary dramatically from one place to another. My frickin' crystal ball is back in the shop for a front end alignment. You did not tell us where you reside, and it is not in your public profile.

9. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

I'm up here in the mitten(michigan)

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Shoot the ammo, it's fine.

11. chewchew

chewchew New Member

Be sure you know that it will not fire hollow points and some other 9mm's. This pistol works real good with hardballs.
    In most states in the southeast, you can sell guns on the street corner or flee markets without paper work, but if they prove to be stolen
    you will have to give it back. I learned this the hard way. I had to give back a like new Remmington 1100 that the boy said was his and it was actually his fathers. The sheriffs dept came and got the gun and tried to get me for receiving stolen property. It cost me six hundred bucks for a lawyer to get out of it and then I had to pay the same lawyer 2 thousand to get me probation for sending the S.O.B to the emergency room...plus..I had to pay for the doctors bill.
    Do be careful about buying a gun from anyone but a dealer.:mad:

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've never seen you get so fired up over location like that... :)

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sorry- have been in San Diego all week, and the mellow was getting to me!

14. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

Oh yeah iknow that feeling. I spent the first four months of the year bouncing around california

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Spent three years there in the Navy.

Just be glad the con-artists haven't been

getting to you...

Yanno, maybe all the gun stores and pawn shops have been pricing

their "valuable collector Luger" outrageously, but in good condition,

unless I miss my guess, that pistol should be worth at least

2200$...

16. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

Considering its a piece of my family, its priceless. I assumed it was between one and two grand, but I'll never sell.

17. chewchew

chewchew New Member

Did you make it down to the ChowTime Bar in TJ ?
    If so, did you hug the brass rail. LMAO
    I love going to San Diego.

18. DunRanull

DunRanull New Member

As Therewolf said.. again depending on where it's from and the condition.. 2 grand is possible on a sale. They have been accelerating in value the last few years. So much so that it's a shame to carry a pristine example. Wish I had got one of the Russian Capture Rebuilds that came around a few years back so I could shoot it...
    One reason the price goes up on these has to do with maintaining REAL value against inflation.. not just rarity.

19. oldman45

oldman45 New Member

At the least, it is worth over a grand and it could reach $3400 or better.

The ammo is fine to shoot. Lots of people are shooting WWII surplus ammo now without a problem.

Now for your problem. Your mother needs to put her wishes in writing as to the heirship of the gun. I would even suggest she give it to you now in order for there to be someone that can attest to where the gun came from and the linage of it.

20. DunRanull

DunRanull New Member

Been there, dun that. IF the ammo you have is in original German packaging, DONT shoot it.. get something else. The ammo alone has value to a collector.
    the parabellum can be ammo-finiky. Some US made 9mm is under-powered compared to European. Get a couple of boxes of different stuff- Sellier and Belliot sells the hotter Euro stuff, and maybe some Winchester "white box" 9mm.
    It would be interesting to hear the markings on the pistol and what if anything came with it.. holster, takedown tool, cleaning rod, "capture papers".. etc. The markings would tell where and when it was made. A holster might have unit markings. Im guessing it is in possession of your Mother. One consideration may be is it registered? Or one of Michigan's "unpapered" pistols? An understanding Chief LEO might paper it or might confiscate it. Moving it to a state like Colo or Florida would make papering unnecessary. That's one big reason I left Michigan many years ago.. too many onerous laws.
    Best wishes and I hope you have many years to enjoy it!