German Government OKs me for AR15

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Jagermeister, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

The German version of the ATF (minus alcohol and tobacco) has given me permission to buy an AR 15! Me, an American, an auslander (foreign) has pulled a coup on this. Took a lot of paperwork and flirting, but it worked. I can not believe it! The rifle has to be 90 cm in length and I have to buy an extra 2 round magazine. The mags only cost about 25 bucks, so no worries. I have to get the 2 round because I am buying under a hunters license. I hunter can use a semi-auto with a 2 round mag while hunting. So, one in the pipe and 2 in the mag. Here are two options that meet my financial capabilities. I will most likely go with the firest rifle. I am going to the store tomorrow. Which would you choose?

http://www.frankonia.de/583827/3227...llery&articleNumber=174502&navCategoryId=6748

The oberland is my other choice. I would pick the M5, which is second from the top on the picture. You can cycle through the different versions by clicking on the picture of the four rifle.

http://www.oberlandarms.com/produkt...3+Rem+Selbstladebuechsen+Rifles.html#produkte

2. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Well done. You can get them here with the (semi-auto option removed) no mag restriction.

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I can have the higher round magazines that come with the rifles, but have to make the extra mag purchase. Manta, what are some of the rules for military style rifles on your side of the channel?

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Congrats Jagermeister! Both ar's look great! I was plesantly surprised to see that your price isn't too much above U.S pricing (yes I adjusted for euros).

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I sure would like to have one of those oberland knives . Wish i could read german so i could read the specs on all that stuff

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

7. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

You think there is any real re-sell difference in the two? I mean, your going to sell it at some point if Germany isn't your permanent home now I assume. I like em both, would a hard choice for me as well.

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You have been working on this forever, so........ CONGRATULATIONS!
    On to your choices......
    A classic, average, cookie cutter, plain Jane M5....... OR this sexy @$$ SLB HERA? I am less torn than everyone else. Get the Hera.

Attached Files:

9. kyleytxrialover

kyleytxrialover New Member

Grats my man

Grats!!!! + 1 good job

10. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

You can email from their contact page on the website. They speak English, I know, because I called them. I do not see why they can not mail a knife to you.

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I went to Frankonia to purchase the Hera 15th Dynamic. I almost purchased the HK MR. I have to wait either this or next Thursday to take the weapon home. They did not have an extra 2 round magazine in the store. They order it from main warehouse and it comes in on Thursdays. The gun comes with a 10 round mag. I am also ordering more high capacity mags. All the mags are from magpul.

I also tried the Sig 516 and the HK MR. I honestly liked the Hera more. The Sig and HK were much heavier. The Sig's trigger was not as crisp. The HK had a real heavy trigger pull. I have the feeling that the Seals change the triggers on their 416s. The mag release was easy to manipulate on the Hera, and the mag came out with no resistence. The other rifles you needed to push much harder on the release. The safety switch is ambidextrous on the Hera, not so on the other rifles. The Sig and HK did have a higher top rail then the Hera. Sort of like a Glock sight picture being compared to a USP. Sig and Hera had magpul furniture and mags. HK has their own mags. Hera was not as front heavy as the other two rifles. I felt I was able to acquire target much faster and with more flexibility then HK and Sig. I was really disappointed about the HK though. The price is not worth it. Damn! Hera was a better rifle then a Sig, and much more prettier. Oh, none of the rifles came with sights at the store. Only the Hera had a compensator on the barrel at the store.

http://www.frankonia.de/259322/1898...llery&articleNumber=150751&navCategoryId=6748

http://www.frankonia.de/428131/2788...llery&articleNumber=167290&navCategoryId=6748

http://www.frankonia.de/583827/3227...llery&articleNumber=174502&navCategoryId=6748
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mtA3PxP8js[/ame]

12. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Congrats Jager, those Hera AR's are gorgeous! You'd better give us a range report with lots of pictures when you get the gun home :)

13. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

The SlB HERA is a beautiful piece of machining

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

I removed a couple of post dealing with politics and controversy. This isnt the place for discussing incorrect political issues. If you want to discuss such things take it to the political and controversy subforum and hash it out there.

Congrats on your new rifle!! that grey one is dead sexy!!

15. 1911love

1911love New Member

Jager, have you picked that new stick up yet?

16. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

The 2 round mag is going to arrive on (I Hope) Thursday. I can pick it up then. I bought the rifle under a hunting license, which limits semi auto hunting to 2 round mags. I can have the other mags, but need the 2 round to prove my need of the weapon. They will not let me take it out of store until it arrives. I also ordered extra magpul higher cap. Mags. I will make a range report this weekend.

17. 1911love

1911love New Member

Nice! Glad to hear. Can't wait for the range report and pics.

18. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

You'll appreciate a svelte rifle with a crisp trigger more than one heavy enough to pull double duty as a sledge hammer with a heavy, gritty trigger.

I appreciate HK's for the working tools that they are and have owned several in the past, but I've never thought much of their triggers. I'm not sure why the MR series of rifles so heavy for what they are.

The Hera would seem to be a nice score compared to the other two rifles.

19. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Deadly weapon you know, you can kill steaks with them. (LOL)

Jim