German Airbus Landing in SF

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Daoust_Nat, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Just thought you might enjoy seeing this humongous A380 as it makes its first landing at San Francisco airport.

This is an incredible video of a German Airbus landing at SFO. The approach shows views of the GG Bridge, the Presidio, the Bay Bridge , and the approach to SFO.

Big, Big Airplane ~ 800 PLUS PASSENGERS Airbus A-380 First Landing at SFO.....NOW THIS IS REALLY WORTH WATCHING.

The pilots sit away from everything, no yoke, etc. Captain pulls up a keyboard once in a while to enter info but the plane does most of the work.....

It seems extensively automated. The air traffic controller gives them heading, altitude and speed, and they dial it in. Pretty interesting.

For best results go "full screen" on your monitor. It will seem like you are in the cockpit.

http://www.wimp.com/approachlanding/ <http://www.wimp.com/approachlanding/>

2. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

That was a pretty cool video

3. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Sure it's Cool. I must be crazy tho cause ill take low and slow any day.....

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

That is pretty slick. :)

It looks like the pilots are superfluous and are there for the comfort of the passengers. It won't be long before the cockpits will be empty.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  5. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

So who was flying... looked like they were programming :)

6. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

They weren't "flying" until they were established on short final. First they took off the auto engine power control and then they took of the auto pilot feature and actually "flew" it into the runway. Pretty cool electronics, until the day when they all crap out on you. Then it's back to the old days of piloting.

7. havasu

havasu Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Best video I've seen in a long time. Thanks for posting it!

8. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Ive been an Electronics Tech for about 30 years and have become less and less in love with fly or drive by wire. Electronics fail too often for my liking!

9. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Nice link.

Even though they did have a "yoke" equivalent on the outboard side of each seat.

except it was FBW.

Not time yet for an empty cockpit those guys did keep pretty busy during landing.

10. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Busy, not even close :) Even their checklist is electronic!

Friend of mine was a 747 check pilot. He was riding jumpseat and watched a crew skip right over gear command. Said he was dumbfounded they both missed it. Called for landing checklist AGAIN, and they missed it AGAIN. Waiting until just before nanny came on and screamed out, check gear down locked NOW, immediately followed by gear gear gear. I forget what his recommendation was, but the crew did have to go through some sim time :)

I like simple checklists, like GUMP :)

11. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Electronics can often make you MORE busy. People often ask me about the automation in the cockpit and I always reply that the autopilot will fly you straight into the ground just as well as I can. It takes monitoring and skill to twist them knobs sometimes (garbage in / garbage out) as far as data input is concerned. Professionals just make it all look easy :)

12. Vincine

Vincine New Member

That plane is bigger than our airport! The lower level, is that steerage?

Did I see a view of the plane on a monitor in front of the cockpit, taken from a camera mounted in the front of the tail?

Are these planes grounded (kept on the earth) during high sunspot activity? Or is the whole jet a Faraday cage? How are jets 'grounded' electrically?

My nephew says he's not there to fly the jet when everything's okay, he's there to fly the jet when it isn't.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  13. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

So many of you have said it so well. Electronics and automation CAN make your life easier and CAN increase your situational awareness but only if you know how and actually use them correctly.

If you listen to what is going on, the Controller is giving them radar vectors to final, which is unique for each plane and situation. It is a way of separating traffic. They have to then take those vectors and input them into the computer.

ALSO, if you listen to the beginning few minutes of the video, the controller told them the LEFT runway. That is when the pilot pulled out the keyboard to begin pulling up the approach plate because they had the one for the RIGHT runway up. It wasn't until they asked the controller and he replied back that he was wrong and they were to expect the RIGHT runway.

So what all ^^^^ that means is humans can make mistakes. So until you automate Air Traffic Controllers, all planes (including small Cessnas), and all systems on an aircraft, you won't get rid of pilots. Sorry, but we are around to stay!!!

14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

At least they didn't prang the seawall........

15. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Most airliners are now fly by wire, Airbus was one of the first it was criticised by Boeing. But now their Aircraft are fly by wire as well. As for military aircraft built now could not fly without fly by wire and computers to continuously adjusting the flying surfaces. PS Great video.

16. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Most military aircraft are FBW, but not all. What is actually interesting to look into is the different Fly-By-Wire systems.

For example, the U.S. Air Force F-16 will do whatever the pilot asks it to do. The pilot inputs actions using his stick and rudders, and the computer executes the commands.

The Navy's F-18 on the other hand has to "think" about what it wants to do. The pilot inputs actions using his stick and rudders, the computer then takes those inputs and thinks about how it can execute those commands while remaining inside the operational limits of the aircraft, then it executes the revised commands it came up with. Therefore, the pilot does not always get what they asked the plane for. There is a phrase in the F-18 community, "The pilot is just a voting member in the cockpit."

17. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Great.
    Thanks for the post.