Gerber FAST

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by falseharmonix, Sep 18, 2009.

1. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

I'm looking for a folder for everyday use, but within a relatively cheap budget ( i know i know, arent we all?)

I saw this in the Cabela's catalog, and I'm semi interested.

Gerber FAST

I'm not really sure what to look for in knives for quality and reliability. But I seem to have in the back of my mind the Gerber name being associated with decent products. (please correct me if I'm wrong :confused: )

Anyone have any hands-on with this knife, or other Gerber knives? I am NOT looking to spend over $60 on a knife, so please no insults at my inquiry.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I dunno. I'm partial to Benchmade's, but they're a bit more costly.

I have a couple of Gerber kitchen knives and they are excellent and really hold an edge. I also have a Gerber tool that's similar to a Leatherman tool and it's also a good piece. So I don't think you'll have quality issues.

But that's about all I can say about them. Let me know how it goes.

3. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I got this and like it a lot. I got it at a gun show for $35 about 2 years ago. It's a pretty high quality knife, especially for $35. It's built pretty solid, locks open well, the blade is made of good stainless steel, doesn't rust, sharpens easily and holds the edge well. The spring still opens it strong, hasn't weakened at all in the 2 years I've had it. Next time I got to the gun show I'm probably gonna get a few more. If you look here, they've got different colors a blade types(serrated, unserrated, angled and rounded blades, etc.). I also have that knife that you asking about. I don't like it very much. The locking system is strange on it, I don't like the little slide that locks it, it has always held, but sometimes seems like it could slip. Just my opinion.

-Fred

4. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Alright, well, you are probably gonna laugh at the 180 I just made here, buuuuttttt...

I got paid well at a wedding I just played today, and tipped even better. So, I watched some knife review vids by nutnfancy and ended up with a Spyderco.....two, actually :cool:

I'll post pix when they arrive :)

5. russ

russ New Member

I carry a SOG TF-3, it's a little large for pocket carry, but you can get used to it.

Attached Files:

• sog.jpg
      sog.jpg
      File size:
      13 KB
      Views:
  6. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Falseharmonix, I think you made a wise choice, Spyderco is making a much better product than Gerber. Much better steel and designs. Both the lines made in Golden (Colorado) and Seki (Japan) are excellent knives with very reasonable price tags. And while I'm not a fan of Chinese made products, I've got to admit that Spyderco knives made there and in Taiwan (models like the Sage, and their much cheaper Byrd knives) are decent performers. G10 handled Byrd knives have been a great seller at my store over the past year.

I'm not sure what happened to Gerber, but ever since it was taken over by Fiskars it started making cheaper products, with lots of their knives being made in China, and steel quality dropping sharply. At least their prices are sensible. :)

Which Spydies did you get?

7. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

I got the Centofante 4, and the new Bug It was 8 bucks, can ya blame me? I could use a small folder while I'm in a suit anyways :)

8. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Do you know how small the Bug actually is? It makes a Victorinox Classic look like broadsword. :) I don't think you'll find much use for it, but it's a nice little toy. If you decide to get another Spyderco to carry when wearing a suit, check out the Dragonfly. The all steel version is nice, small enough to forget it's there but still big enough to be useful.

The Centofante 4 is really nice, one of my favourite summer EDCs. It's quite thin, so it carries very well and it slices like a light saber. I love wharncliffe blades. Congratulations on your new knife!

9. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Yes, small enough for a suit, or to throw in my violin case. I don't plan on using it much, just when I don't plan on carrying something larger and need it. And again, it was 8 bucks!

10. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

I have been using a Gerber "fast draw" for well over a year now as my everyday knife and I love it, I never thought I'd like such a simple affordable knife so much.
    I have owned other brands like CRKT, Boker, Leatherman,...etc, the only knife I've found that might replace this one is a Benchmade. A friend of mine has one and they really are smoooooth and well built, just trying to find a reason to spend $180. on a new knife,...LOL.
    But as far as the best knife for under $40., I'd say the "fast draw" is a good knife for the money.

11. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I can't argue with that, I'm glad it works for you. I admire anybody who can carry the same knife for more than a few days! If you're into assisted openers, you ought to take a look at Kershaw, they've got some very well priced excellent quality folders (like the Cyclone, which you can get for around $35 on-line).

I'm a total knife addict, so I don't mind spending $180 for a Benchmade, since I enjoy them a lot. But I understand your point, you certainly don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on a high end production or custom knife to get a functional tool. I know that a $20 Swiss army knife could probably handle 95% of my real life knife needs. I just cut corners on other things that I don't care much about (for instance, my mobile phone is the cheapest model available).

12. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Got my knives in the mail today.

w00t!!!

However, the bug was about 2x smaller than I had envisioned lol...but, still will fit the very few needs I will have for it (and again, for 8 bucks, you cant go wrong)

The handle on the Centofante was larger than I had anticipated, but fits my hand well. I LOVE how solid the blade locks when it is opened. No wiggle room at all.

I'm going to need to break it in, the blade doesn't snap open yet but I'm sure that a little bit of breaking in will be all I need.

Does anyone here sharpen their own blades, or do you send them back to Spyderco? I've heard mixed reviews of whether or not you should let them do it. I've got a kit from Smiths that I picked up at Wallyworld for about 40 bucks. I trust it for my leatherman, but we're also talking about a much more expensive blade now with my Spyderco.

13. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Gerbers are one hell of a knife for the money. I don't you would be dissappointed. However I have been carrying a CRKT M21-02G. For a little more money it is worth it.

14. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I told you it was tiny... :D It's still pretty cool, though. And like you said, for $8 you can't really go wrong.

You definitely need to learn how to sharpen your own blades. It's a simple skill, all it takes is a little practice. You'll be amazed by the results you can get.

I would stay away from all the jigs and gadgets, free hand sharpening is harder to learn but worth it. Those gimmicks with fixed angles (like Lansky systems, or even Spyderco's Sharpmaker) work really nice as long as the knife manufacturer set the edge bevels to the same angle the sharpener manufacturer set his stones. Needles waste of money, I've got a few of them (told you I've got a knife problem...) and the only time when they see any use is when I need to do some heavy reprofiling or regrinding (I use a Lansky with an extra coarse diamond stone).

Buy a nice set of stones, they might seem a bit expensive but if you get quality ones it will be a once in a lifetime expenditure. Try Spyderco's ceramic stones, they are very good. Sure, they are around $40 each, but they are worth it. I'd go for one medium grit, one fine and one extra fine Spyderco ceramic bench stones, and one extra coarse and one coarse DMT 6" diamond whetstones. Diamond is better for quick steel removal on really dull knives, while ceramics are much better finishing stones. Add a leather strop charged with some fine buffing compound and you're all set. Between the extra fine ceramic stone and the strop you should be able to get a gleaming, mirror polished edge.

Practice on cheap kitchen knives until you've got the technique down, you'll never look back. Once you get used to what a properly polished VG-10 blade will do, you'll be happy about the investment in quality sharpening equipment and good technique develpment.

15. innezka

innezka New Member

if your still looking i got a gerber suspension at bass pro shop, i carried it during basic training in infantry school and im on my 7th month in afghanistan with the same gerber, great quality folding gerber which i got for 21.99. that gerber survived battles and just everyday use on supplies, ropes, building hooches like survival tents etc. not to mention maintanence(i think i spelled that wrong please forgive me) on vehicles. handy, cheap and durable.

16. Expeditioner

Expeditioner New Member

Gerbers are not nearly as good as they once were.......despite the decline in quality it is still a good knife for the money. I prefer SOG and Benchmade.

17. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Some companies put out garbage products with no research or development, leave it on the market, and move on.

Spyderco puts out the greatest products ever, made with the finest materials, gives alot of thought to handling, ergonomics, and all around function, releases the product, and then discontinues it as fast as it was released.

I have an addiction to these knives, but I warn you, if you see one you like, jump on it immediately, it won't be around long.

18. dicky0331

dicky0331 New Member

+1 for the Spiderco, i bought one prior to Iraq and haven't carries anything else since.

19. jaywmu

jaywmu New Member

i bought an emerson (benchmade) cqc7 probably almost 10 years ago. i've pounded on the blade to use it as a chisel, its the knife i keep in my truck for daily use. it is a quality knife for eighty dollars.