Gerber Bear grylls ultimate survival knife

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Mossyoakman3006, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Mossyoakman3006

Mossyoakman3006 New Member

Just picked one up today seems to be pretty tough havent got to use it yet. It does have alot of cool feature fire starter, sharpener, and even a whistle. Blade is pretty sharp we'll see how it holds the edge. kinda wish the sheath was completely plastic the web section doesn't look like its gonna hold up that long. Just wondering if any one has used this knife and if so what do you guys think?

2. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Read few not so good reviews...sorry.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Got some pictures for us??

4. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Looks like a good all around knife, I just wish it wasnt so ugly.

[​IMG]

5. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

Gerber makes some good, inexpensive knives. I have several of the LMF IIs and use them every week in the yard and every few weeks or so when camping. I've seen the Bear Grylls knife, but yeah, that thing is pretty fugly.

6. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

The review complain was that it is not really full tang and the handle broke during the test. The steel is supposedly not the best as well. For survival, there are better knives but for camping it should be adequate.

7. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i used to buy gerber when they said made in the good ol' u.s.of.a on them any more not so much.

8. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

Congrats!

I have the machete from that line. I did a lot of research, and wanted one just to have. It's actually pretty good.

9. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Made in China, just saying.

Puts them out of consideration for my knife buying.

10. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

Use it till you break it, then get it's big brother the LMFII which is made in the U.S. and will stand up to a lot of abuse. ( same basic design, but better steel and stronger) Of course you could always try ESEE knives with their absolute no B.S. guarantee will replace if it breaks from abuse except from rust from not using it.

11. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

I know it sucks. but Spyderco and SOG have and are making their Knives in China now. Not all models mind you, but quite a few of them.

12. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

So is Kershaw. I will only consider the American made models. All of the gun manufacture knife lines are made in China. Some of the Gerbers are still made in the US and I would buy one of those.

13. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

I've still got one I got in the 70's when they still said "Portland Ore. USA" on them. ;)

14. Wambli

Wambli New Member

I still got one of their 1980's Bowies made in Oregon. It was my first big camp knife and it's a .300" thick 8" blade that I don't think I've had to sharpen more than a handful of times in my life.

Looks just like this one:
    [​IMG]