Geology?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Jack Ryan, Jan 3, 2019.

1. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

One time I was driving back to Flagstaff from Silver City, NM I stopped on the side of the highway to pee (think it was 180), looking down between my feet was a perfect 4" spear head!
    Right on the shoulder of the road.

towboater, Jack Ryan and dango like this.
  2. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Around here we have very little elevation changes and few rocks. I do, however, like looking for fossils, pottery and projectile points on the river banks. My daughter is a geologist and has been all over the world from Antarctica to Alaska plying her trade. Her daddy just has rocks in his head.

3. TimKS

TimKS Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

[QUOTE="Chainfire, post: 2019514, member: 104round here we have very little elevation changes and few rocks. I do, however, like looking for fossils, pottery and projectile points on the river banks. My daughter is a geologist and has been all over the world from Antarctica to Alaska plying her trade. Her daddy just has rocks in his head.[/QUOTE]

So...that's where that liberal mentality is born. :D

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I used too !..............

towboater, dango and Jack Ryan like this.
  5. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Well-Known Member

Hard to believe now that I spent MONTHS on line trying to figure out clues from people's pictures and cryptic comments about people's trips to this place, looking at topo maps, and county road maps. I bet made 10 trips down there searching all day both walking and driving around asking any local people I'd see in the area if they knew where any of these features were before finding this arch.

[​IMG]

6. Jack Ryan

Walked right over the top of it several times and didn't even know I was a couple hundred feet above it.

[​IMG]

7. Chainfire

That is a pretty awesome spot. I would be picking and poking around in the cave-like structure.

8. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

My FIL was a geologist (as well as many other things). He would have loved our land.

One of the things he pointed out was that any place that had vertical shale with quartz embedded, you would find gold. That certainly held true for our farm: not enough to get rich on but enough to enjoy picking it out of the stream and pocket some.

I think I have detected a layer on our stream-bank that is the "Clovis layer". Not sure. This place would have been a likely site for a tribe setting: near a stream, with access to slight hills should the need arise.

I suspect I've found a few arrow-heads, but most likely, remnants of an ancient mill upstream and, perhaps, a few instruments from a Confederate field hospital upstream a bit - where Stonewall Jackson had his arm amputated.

But mostly old farm implements from the turn of the century (the LAST century!).

Our driveway is on old pre-civil-war maps...Best I can tell, though, no encampments here; just Jackson's "flanking maneuver" in the battle of Chancellorsville ¼ mile away...

Neighbor's re-built house is on the foundation of the arrest of a Civil War General in 1864. I sorta feel the presence of soldiers past in the wee hours, with a gentle fog over our property. But maybe it's my Fi, with remembrance of our many walks through this land...

Have about two oz of gold picked from our stream: gold I will likely melt down into lead-soldier molds I inherited from my Dad, for his grand and great-grandson...

towboater, boatme98, dango and 2 others like this.
  9. Chainfire

You might should cast a couple of gold bullets to cover the "just in case" category.

10. Jack Ryan

That's really cool. I've got a little prospecting stuff, couple pans and a couple classifier screens. I'll carry them around in my pack sometimes if I'm in a likely place to search for anything but honestly I use that stuff more in my reloading ventures and when I'm metal detecting. Sometimes if the recycling center has used shot, I'll buy that stuff for the cost of scrap lead and then run it through one of my classifier screens and then use. It's either small enough for trap and clays or big enough to use for rabbits and squirrels.

I made about a 2x2 classifier screen to use when I was working that clay pot site to sift through leaves and mud catching any pot pieces bigger than about dime.

Only gold we have around here is "flour" size washed off the glaciers. It would probably even go through a flour sifter.

I saved up my brass shavings from trimming brass for a while and then threw it all in a gold pan with some creek gravel and water. Sloshed that around and then took a picture. ROTFL! That got some sudden new friend requests on face book.

Another time I pulled a gold crown off eating a sugar daddy, the dentist ask me if I wanted to keep that. He said he'd give me a few bucks for it as return scrap on the new one. I said heck it's worth more than that just to have.

I carried that around the woods in my pocket a couple years before I got to pull it out on one of my buddies and shout over to 'em "HEY COME AND LOOK AT THIS NUGGET I FOUND!"

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    RJF22553, towboater, boatme98 and 2 others like this.
  11. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

[QUOTE="RJF22553, post: 2019742, member: 62177..... I sorta feel the presence of soldiers past in the wee hours, with a gentle fog over our property. But maybe it's my Fi, with remembrance of our many walks through this land...[/QUOTE]

Be receptive to the feelings! There is a lot that happens we don't really know about.

ellis

RJF22553, towboater, dwmiller and 4 others like this.
  12. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Yep Jack, I hike all over the Rockies looking at pretty rocks. My now deceased wife and I owned a jewelry store at one time. I used to cut cabs and facet precious stones. Dont have the time and equipment any more. Maybe I'll get back into it when I fully retire. I do knap the occasional arrowhead when the mood takes me.

I've got milk crates full of specimens and fossils. Gold nuggets from Alaska and a couple vials of fine gold "beach sands". Along with antiquities, corn grinders, axes, spear and arrow heads. A bunch of precious stone, rough. Mainly turquoise, opals, garnets, slabs of fossil wood and a couple diamonds from Crater of Diamonds state park. Some day I'll build a couple end tables and a coffee table with a light box and glass top to display all my treasures. I still stop in Quartzite AZ everytime I go through...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Jack Ryan, JTJ, RJF22553 and 3 others like this.
  13. boatme98

I used to have a Uv box. Lots of interesting fluorescents to be found.
    Also a binocular stereoscope for micro specimens.

Jack Ryan, RJF22553 and dwmiller like this.
  14. dwmiller

I've thought along those lines since you can now get strips of UV LED's cheap off Ebay. Wouldn't a glass topped display table with a bunch of florescent minerals backlit with UV look cool?!

Jack Ryan, RJF22553 and boatme98 like this.
  15. boatme98

uvp-95007201-chromato-vue-c-10-mini-uv-viewing-cabinet-for-handheld-6w-lamps-9760400.jpg

I had a box like this with a removeable wand light.

Jack Ryan and dwmiller like this.
  16. dwmiller

Mine was just a cheapo LED flashlight with a UV led in addition to the normal one. Press switch once for white light, once more for UV and again for off...

boatme98 likes this.
  17. boatme98

Remember, I managed a couple of science stores. I got my stuff at cost.;):D

stereoparts.jpg

A binocular stereoscope. Great for micro specimens

Jack Ryan, ellis36 and dwmiller like this.
  18. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Geologists will tell you the three types of rocks are: igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary. Engineers know that they are really: crusherites, leverites, and maybelaters.

dwmiller, Jack Ryan and boatme98 like this.
  19. RJF22553

And most of us would know them a "dumb-as-a-rock"s...particularly if you put them in a box...:)

dwmiller and boatme98 like this.
  20. RJF22553

Boat: where is the USB port???:D

Ellis: you can be assured I feel "the force". I'm not only receptive, but embrace those feelings. There is a lot to this land and the memories that is impossible to describe - or ignore; my Fi foremost among them.

The gold I have found on this farm is called "placer" gold: not a vein, just pieces/parts I can pick out with either tweezers or a turkey-baster. But we're close: no less than three gold mines that shut down within two miles, and the town of Goldvein about three miles away as the crow flies. Next door neighbor found a nugget about the size of a thumbnail when drilling a post-hole for his barn.

Per Wikipedia: "Most gold mining in Virginia was concentrated in the Virginia Gold-Pyrite belt in a line that runs northeast to southwest through the counties of Fairfax, Prince William, Stafford, Fauquier, Culpeper, Spotsylvania, Orange, Louisa, Fluvanna, Goochland, Cumberland, and Buckingham." Much of my property line is the Spotsylvania-Orange County border: a stream called Wilderness Run.

I have a metal detector, but use it mostly to find pieces/parts that come off our mowers and tractors when mowing. Came across two cast-iron fluted plow-blades that the previous owner said were pre-1900 type, and some barbed wire grown through the middle of 3' diameter oaks that - according to barbered wire historical enthusiasts was mid-1800s design.