Geology?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Jack Ryan, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Well-Known Member

Does any one else pick up funny looking rocks and bring them home? Carry a pen light in case they happen across a cave? Search topo maps and then go out "there" just to see if there is a cliff and is it as high as the map makes it look? Walk out of your way to see a water fall? Carry a magnifying glass to look at the layers in the silt stone on a cliff side?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    dwmiller, Rifling82, boatme98 and 3 others like this.
  2. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

image.jpeg As a matter , I'm just like you ! :) With the magnifying glass , light , compass , maps , the only thing you lack is an altimeter to verify , (pin point) your location upon your physical location to reference of your topo map .

Me , I've got a THOMEN pocket combo , "altimeter , barometer" ...! It gives you the ability to pin point your exact location as to your map . No batteries so it always works , I love it ! Here's a pic.

3. Jack Ryan

I rode my motorcycle over to this place, Garden of the Gods, in southern IL and spent a whole weekend there camping and looking it over top to bottom.

I thought it was so cool I talked my wife in to driving over and getting a hotel room the weekend right after or so. She has a bad ankle and it is pretty hard for her to do this stuff any more but she tuffed it out. Saw it all in about 45 minutes and says "Now what?".

[​IMG]

dwmiller, RJF22553, Rifling82 and 3 others like this.
  4. Jack Ryan

Oh no, I got my Casio Weather Station with compass, altimeter AND water resistant to 90 feet with a depth gauge AND thermometer. GPS has a better altimeter now and the topo maps. Got to have a compass.

5. Jack Ryan

I'd definitely buy one like yours though if I run across one, lol.

Just as a back up to the back up of my back up.

6. TimKS

TimKS Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

No!

dwmiller and dango like this.
  7. dango

Yeap , it's a rock thing alright ! I got it bad to . Any place I stumble across I return with all and any gear to spend as long as it takes to satisfy my addiction . :) The wife is pretty adventurous but a serious fear of heights . I have had her in some mighty crazy places but high places are a no go .

8. Jack Ryan

Any time I have any kids come over to the house, I always have those little orange survival whistles with a compass, mirror, whistle and flint striker on it. Think I've given on to everyone's kids I ever met. I'm big on that navigation thing. Parents are always "Don't go here, don't go there, stay close to the house we are gonna eat..."

I give 'em whistles and tell 'em they can do what ever they want as long as they can't see a house from where they are doing it. If you get lost start blowing that whistle.

I never one had any kid visiting even go beyond the front yard all day long.

JTJ, dwmiller, dango and 1 other person like this.
  9. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to look for that type of place often. But, most I found by looking for artifacts.
    There is one creek valley about 8 miles from my house. A State Geologist went with me to it about 15 years ago. He looked at the cliff cut by water over millions of years. It had cut through a rock bluff to flow into the Mississippi river eons ago. He took pictures and numerous rock samples at layers he could reach. That cut turns out to be older than the Mississippi River itself. That was the result of their study. Few know about it's location.

10. Jack Ryan

Think of all the sprained ankles yer missing out on!

dwmiller, TimKS, dango and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jack Ryan

Last year my son got me a rock hammer for X-mas!

JTJ, dwmiller, dango and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jack Ryan

This is one of my old run'n buddies from back in the day, Terry. This is also in the same general area I was packing out those crock jars from.

[​IMG]

dwmiller, dango and Dallas53 like this.
  13. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Forestry/geology major, here.
    Like Dango, I was only happy when I was out trekking. Now I can't even make the 3 mile paved loop trail in the city park.

I used to collect mineral and fossil specimens. Had a steel bakers rack that I made black velvet shelves for to display them.

I think the only thing I have left is my 2 old Bausch & Lomb triple lenses. One stainless and one plastic. All the hammers, chiseles, bags, and such are long gone.
    Specimens, too.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

There is a rock face within 5 miles from where I was born. Nearest road is a half mile away. As a teen I used to ramble over those wood looking for what I had not seen. The stone in that face was good for making points. Mainly arrows. Some cutting tools. Maybe a 2,000 years ago. How do I know? The south facing slope had a lot of fragments in one area. Spot where you could sit in the sun. Sort thru the fragments and find where the maker had his "AH CRAP!" moments when a point being knapped broke. And the unfinished point was tossed into the scrap.

Took some down to a local college. Faculty member schooled me a smidgen on what different time periods looked like, and a bit about knapping. Also learned that a novice knapper should have a good supply of bandaids. Hard on the fingers.

dwmiller, buckhuntr, dango and 3 others like this.
  15. Jack Ryan

I've got an old silt stone mine not far from me. About any one who visits the house more than a couple times ends up going home with a big 2 foot long hunk of silt stone. We'll be driving through the forest from one place or another and suddenly I'll pull over in the middle nothing, just past no where, and get out. "What's back here?" they'll say. Just come and look, I think it's a pretty cool place.

Not even out of sight of the truck and you can tell someone has been doing some quarry work here A LONG TIME AGO. I'll be yapping my head off talking about this is where they put their crane, and over there they loaded the wagon, and they cut these with a thing like a big band saw only with a cable on it instead of a blade ... walking over the old spoils pile looking for a big, long rock that is at least flat on two sides, three is better.

When we are done looking, I'll pick up it and say "There's the one." The one what? "Yer rock of course!" ROTFL What am I gonna do with that!

I'll show ya when we get back to the house.

Then I'll get out an axe or a big throwing knife and show 'em how fast you can sharpen 'em up with that and suddenly they forget to take their little bitty thing they picked up and load the big one I got 'em in their trunk. LOL

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    JTJ, dwmiller, buckhuntr and 2 others like this.
  16. Jack Ryan

I picked up two bricks that fell out of the ceiling of a railroad tunnel one time to keep as souvenirs. Guy with me had only been on one or two short adventures with me gave me a really weird look, I says "Ya may as well find out now as late."

Wife thought they were cool or at least she said they were in a really convincing way. Added 'em in with the rest of the "rock garden".

dwmiller, buckhuntr and dango like this.
  17. dango

A tip on the TOMMEN combo . Having both has some really great advantages . Like if you set up a base camp for a week of hunting or just camping . Me , I don't carry any electronics , I want to get away ya know ? No phone , GPS , nothing with batteries except the flash light . I did try a back packer GPS but in thick forests , it totally failed , no link , back to the map , compass and altimeter .

Now with no contact with the outside world , being on an extended stay , the only thing you have on you to give you a reasonable weather report are your barometer and compass .

Example : If you've set up camp at 7000 ft. Above sea level that night , next morning comes and your altimeter says 6250 , you know your camp didn't move but your air pressure has changed also read on your barometer so by rising or falling barometer . Now by looking at the sky for a while watching clouds in wich direction they are coming from basically tells you what is coming .

Falling barometer , winds coming from south or south west , expect warm wet weather .
    Rising barometer , winds coming north or north west , expect cooler dry weather .
    General rule of thumb , falling barometer is usually assosiated with wet something , rain or snow depending on your general latitude . You get the idea . I can generally get a good 36 hour window of on coming weather so as to know to baton down or just relax .

dwmiller and Jack Ryan like this.
  18. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

When I was in Flagstaff, one of my jobs was maintaining and building service stations. One of our jobs was to install a diesel system at the service station in the Grand Canyon Natl Park (since closed). We had to blast a hole for the underground tank. A plus for me, learning some blasting.
    After the shoot, we were cleaning out the hole, I looked down and saw an amazing site. A perfect 3 toed dinosaurs footprint!
    As we were on federal land, I took it to the head weenie who was supervising the project, and on site to make sure we were behaving and showed it to him.
    I asked him what we should do with it and he said "get it out of here!"
    He didn't want to hold up the project!
    I had it for years then gave it to a friend to put in her garden.

JTJ, dwmiller, Jack Ryan and 2 others like this.
  19. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm with ya! I've got lots of cool rocks I've toted out of the woods, cuts, etc. And I live on a sandstone ridge that was laid down some 300 million years ago in some layers. Shell fossils in it too.

20. Jack Ryan

Not pristine but both the geology department and the archeology department at a local college have run projects on this particular location. That's pretty cool for Indiana, we aren't exactly "known" for that kind of thing.

[​IMG]

This is a primitive culture rock shelter underneath a large sandstone arch. There aren't a lot of significant sand stone arches around here. People would grind things in those holes by using a pestle stone to grind grain or nuts. Over and over in the same spot would create the holes. Most people think of grain but they also did the same with acorns to make a sort of bread.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019