Geocaching anyone?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cpttango30, Mar 17, 2009.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Do we have any Geocachers here?

Just wondering as I am just starting to get into this with my new GPS on the way I wanted something fun and educational for me and the kids to do on the weekends. I am finding them on line right now and found one not 300 yards from my house. Then I really started looking and I have 11 on the way to work 3 miles away. So this is looking like a lot of fun and there seams to be a rather large geocaching community in my area as well woo hoo.

So I was thinking if we have members that are geocachers we could put together a multicach over different states from firearms talk. Or something along that line.

2. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Finaly, what GPS do you bought?
    Geocaching it sounds fun... even more if it's enjoyed with the family :p

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I got a Garmin E-trex Ledgend.

I didn't need anything bigger or more expensive. I bought it used on ebay for $60 with some extra software.

4. bkt

bkt New Member

Yup, I'm into geocaching a little. It's pretty cool to scram to a park during lunch and locate a cache. geocaching.com has lots of good resources for caches, maps, etc.

I use a Garmin eTrex Legend (the blue one) as well.

5. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Had no idea what it was, was stumbling around a gameland, happen upon an old ammo can.

"Sweet! Free ammo from the Ammo Gods!". Open it up, find assorted dolls and toys and sthuuf like that, along with instructions explaining it all.

Felt ripped off, but oddly touched at the same time.

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Benning did you start caching? Or are you still a muggle?

7. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I'm more of a stumbler, I've bumped into a couple of these purely by chance.

I have a ton of crappy pocketknives, and I'll generally take one along to the woodline for the sole purpose of dropping one in a cache if I come across one.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Never did it- been orienteering for some time. Ran a google on geocaches, found about 15 within a mile of daughter's house. (Housesitting for a few days) Really surprised me.

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I have 165 caches withint 5 miles of my house. So it'll keep me busy for a while.

10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Why not leave a spent brass? Write Firearmstalk.com on the outside or a note in the brass. I thought about it to do with the kid, he loves investigating. An old friend's mother told me about it, as she and her granddaughters go when they visit.

11. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Just went to Gander Mountain, trust me, the pocket knife is cheaper than the brass.

12. bkt

bkt New Member

My first thought is that's an outstanding idea.

But where I live, there are enough anti-gun nuts that they would call the cops out of fear there is some crazed criminal tracking them and trying to lure kids into a world of violence. (No, really. That's how they think, if you can call it thinking.) I'll just wipe the prints off the brass first, I guess....

13. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I saw tango mention geocaching in another thread, and it got me to check it out. I went and found a couple in my little town on Sun. I'm working on putting together a cache of my own soon.

I think it's great. It gives me something to use my GPS for other than deer season.

It also got me thinking. Something along this idea could be a great benefit when it comes to storing 'emergency gear' in case of a PHTF situation. Stuff you don't want found if the zombies actually took interest in searching your property. (Damn space zombies!)

Or maybe a communication/supply line for the FTF regroup effort after the zombies come. But, that brought up a few questions too...

1) How long would we have access to the GPS satellites?

2) Could you pinpoint something that exact without GPS?

3) How do you convey these coordinates to other members, without giving them away to those who would use them for evil?

14. Cnynrat

Cnynrat New Member

We've been geocaching for a while now. We started because we thought it would be a good way to practice with the GPS so we had the skills when we really need them. It's a fun thing to do when we're out hiking or in the 4x4.

Oddly enough, the first one we found is practically at the bottom of our driveway!

15. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

That is why the compass needs to still be learned and practiced. How did ancient sailors navigate treacherous seas without GPS? I'm sure that there are some Navy navigators or Air Force navigators here that could elaborate.

Communication would be the problem. Around here, if one asks for directions they get stuff like "left at the Anderson farm" or go by the octogon barn and then the next right before the Stinson pond. Unless you know everyone or every landmark, you are lost beyond lost. Deliverance lost. :eek:

16. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I agree about the need to learn/practice use of compass navigation, which is half the reason I posted this. First, I want to know how accurate you can find a location with a compass?

For instance, if I uploaded the coordinates of an cache somewhere in GPS/Lat-Lon and someone had a topo map of that area, would they be able to locate that spot, within say a 10' radius, with only a compass and dead reckoning; or would it be more like a block radius, or a 10 block radius, etc?

17. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Properly, all you need is the GPS locations lat and long, a compass, watch and a relative idea of speed of travel.

Keep good records so you can reposition and pick up lost time and position.

I'd say with consistent travel speed, you should be able to figure a position within 500-1000 feet that way. Not good for the Geocash dealy.

I'm surprised no Navy guys have spoken. Or aircraft guys by that matter.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  18. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Depending on the skill of whoever gives you the grid coordinates, a compass can put you on top of it with an 8 digit grid.

19. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Sorry, for the non-military here, can you give us an example of what an 8-digit grid coordinates would be like?

20. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

This is simplified, but the basic idea goes like this.

The map is a square.
    This square is broken into smaller squares.
    Your initial digits give you which square you're looking for.
    You have a tool, sort of like a transparency, which has
    digits that will intersect when laid over your initial square.
    So if your cache was on the top of a hill in your initial square, you can sort of intersect with your tool up to 8 digits.
    With a larger relief map, you could actually do 10.

Now say you know your spot on the map. And you have the grid to where you're going. You can now figure an azimuth, and that's where the compass comes into play.

But the GPS is simpler.:)