Generators and fuel storage

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by magnumman, Dec 8, 2012.

1. magnumman

magnumman New Member

How many of you have generators? I was just cruising the web and looking at several models. I am curious which ones you have. How much wattage does it require to power the necessities? By that I mean a freezer, well pump, maybe a few lights.

Also, do you prefer gasoline, diesel, or ng? I know that in a shtf situation, my gas utility will not be the most reliable but I also don't have a system for bulk fuel storage. Input is much appreciated

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have a 6800 W that will power most of the essentials I need its a 110/220 gas powered that I bought at a garage sale for $125 . It works great and starts 2nd pull every time . If I could afford to do what I want I would buy a automatic multi fuel 20K genny

3. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Wouldn't we all. I am only concerned with keeping my food fresh and my well flowing so I might look around the classifieds and craigslist to see if one can be ha for relativly cheap. 2 more ?s. how much fuel do you keep on hand and what kind of efficiency are you getting?

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I keep a 55 gal drum on hand and 3 , 6 gal cans. Also keep 4 gal of oil on hand. Gas is prob the least efficient and its going to vary by load but mine has a small fuel tank so it needs filled more often and honestly I like that .when it gets low you should be checking the oil anyway. No oil " boom" no genny.
    It will run about 1.5 hrs on a tank full at 60% load
    Lp stores forever, kerosene and diesel second then gasoline. This newer gas only store for about 9 months without a additive then it starts degrading. We had a under ground fuel tank with about 155 gal in it that hadn't been used In Roughly 9-10 yrs that fuel still ran the ol tractor just fine. Thei new stuff is crap fuel IMHO.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Magnum,

I have a Coleman Power-mate 10HP 6500 generator. I have had it for years and it has been a good unit. I set it outside the garage when in use. I also keep Sta-bil in it year round and run it every three or four months. It keeps my refrig and freezer running plus TV and a couple of lights. I had a dead circuit put into the house when I had it built so certain plug ins are for these emergencies. I just plug the generator into the main dead cirsuit plug in which makes the other "Marked Plug Ins" active. It is gas powered. Someday if money ever permits I would like to get a 10 KW LP Gas auto generator for when the power goes out it will automaticaly take over and start up.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

One more thing. When u get one check the voltage . Voltage is Increased with engine speed and 135-140 v is Hard on transformers and bulbs

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

03 I believe that's what mine is also is a old Coleman power mate. I have 100 amp service in my garage that back feeds my house.

8. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

This is my next focus.....self sustaining heat & fuel in case of power outages again up here in the northeast. After what happened to us after Sandy, proved that anyone is vulnerable.

I just picked up a 20k BTU kerosene heater and (2) five gallon tanks. Also getting (2) 5 gallon fuel tanks to be filled with gasoline to have on hand.

I also STRONGLY recommend to treat any fuel storage with a fuel stabilizer such as Sta-Bil or similar. Keeps the fuel molecules from breaking apart and helps with long term storage

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Good call on the fuel storage but I would find something different that's more capatible with fuels than stabil its decent stuff but again the newer gas does not like the stabil for very long. Were using something else that's clear and it stays in solution better. I will get the name for u but its capatable with all fuels including 2 stroke synthetic oils

10. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Thanks guys keep it going, I am taking notes.

11. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

i have a 250 gal drum barrel full of gas electric pump on it use it for trucks tractors use it for gernerators and such if needed get fuel from harvestland co=op

12. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I just bought a Briggs 6500W gen and I am currently up to 40 gallons of stored gas. I plan on installing a tri-fuel kit on the generator which will allow me to run it on natural gas, propane and gasoline which is the best of all worlds. When that's installed, I'll pickup one or two of the medium sized (not sure the capacity) propane tanks to keep locked up outside. Propane will also run my portable heaters.

13. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I have a gas Generac 8000W. As far as I'm concerned, this is the lower limit for running a well pump. We also have a propane HW heater that needs to run at the same time. Even with a generator this size, when the well pump comes on, the light in the bathroom flickers when you're taking a shower. We also have it hooked up with an interlock, not a transfer switch. Much more flexible this was, and cheaper to install, too. You just can't be dumb when you run it.

Now, if money were no object, I'd have the biggest LP tank I could find, (maybe several),and a slightly bigger generator, with a lot of spare parts. LP because there is no storage issue.

Also, pay attention to Total Harmonic Distortion. It has to be within less than 6% of 60 Cycles to safely run anything with electronics. And EVERYTHING has electronics nowadays.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

If ur lights are flickering while ur pump is running with a genny that big u better get it checked out. Check the output when its loaded and see what u have. It shouldnt be doing that ur well pump should.t draw that kinda or power even on startup. When my furnace fires up I always make sure to keep the blower motor on. That's when they pull the most

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

another point. stay away from those really cheap Chinese generators. the generator armatures are junk and that's usually the most expensive portion of the generator. they are cheap for a good reason. i have seen some with less than a few hours fail badly.

Lucas makes a really good fuel stabilizer that i use in all my gasoline engines and stored gasoline.

16. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Well, to be fair, there may have been some other things on when that happened. If I make it a point to run just the pump, HW heater, and one light in the bathroom, not too bad. The electrician did put his meter on it the day we installed it, it he seemed satisfied. But yeah, I should look into it, anyway.

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Wattage you need will depend on what you are running. Your well pump could be a shallow well 120 v, or a deep well 220/240. Your fridge and freezer may be modest sized, or double as a hockey rink.

Things that have heating elements (electric water heaters, clothes dryers, electric ranges) will have a HIGH current demand. Things with a motor (pump, freezer, blower on furnace) have a very high startup current that drops off when motor gets up to speed. Electronics, fluorescents, and LEDs use very little wattage.

Below 5000 watts, you have something that can power a saw, drill, or a mini TV set. Also bear in mind that a genset does NOT have to run all the time- or all the appliances at the same time. Plug in freezer, run for an hour, unplug. If you quit opening the freezer to look for penguins, it will STAY cold for a day.

I keep enough aviation gas (no alcohol) to run for 2 weeks. I also have a bare minimum solar setup with a 2500 watt inverter. And yes, fuel stabilizer is important. But running the carb DRY before storing it is even more important.

PS- you will need extension cords if your genset is not hardwired to the house. Remember bigger wire (smaller number) is better.

18. RJMercer

RJMercer New Member

They are super pricey but diesel generators are the most fuel efficient. A 27hp APU on a semi uses 1/5 of a gallon an hour at half load. Diesel can be treated with additives similar to what you treat gasoline with to extend storage. If you have an airtight tank you can pull a vacuum on you can extend that life even further.
    For those of you that live in the boonies and have a tractor there are 540rpm and 1000rpm generator sets you can mount on a trailer or the 3pt hitch.

19. astroman

astroman Supporting Member Supporter

Got a 6k generator that I rarely use, but is ready to go if needed. Northern tenn, southern ky tends to have ice storms from time to time. My neighbor said the last ice storm knocked out power for 2 plus weeks here. Also looking at buying a 30k plus ng/propane fire place unit to add to the wood stove already setup in basement. I need to wire up the breaker panel to accept the generator as well

20. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

I have had the best of luck with Craigslist and buying generators WAY WAY cheaper than anything I could find elsewhere. Small stuff to the big boys, case in point these 2 (just showing you what's out there to spark your interest), both 30kV diesel jobs, enough to supply a small tent city or houses, and tough as nails. Just saw em on Craigslist now in my neck of the woods. $2000 asking on the 1st one (with low hours on the Hobbs meter), and $5500 on the trailer model.

Attached Files: