Generation Gap?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by txpossum, Jul 9, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I am 58 years old, and have been shooting since I was five. There are many, many, many people out there who have a better knowledge of firearms than I do, but, hell, after being around guns for over 50 years I've learned something about them. And even as far back as my early teen years I've been interested in the history of firearms and shooting. Not only did I read books relating directly to the development of guns, but also books by those influential in shooting -- Ed McGivern, Elmer Keith, Jeff Cooper, Jack O'Conner, and devoured the (then) more current writings of Skeeter Skelton and Bill Jordan. One of my favorite gun magazines these days is Guns of the Old West, which have a lot of information about 19th Century firearms and characters.

Of course, I instantly forget about 80% of what I read.

And, when growing up, my friends were the same. We devoured books about the Civil War, the old west and famous gunfighters, WWI and WWII.

Now . . . mostly when I try to talk guns with those under, say 35 (to pick a number out of the air) there is a disconnect . . . that while they may know a lot more about current firearms, they can't place modern guns in their historical perspective. I look at an old gun and it opens up a whole historical period for me; they just see the object.

I'm certainly not saying that there aren't exceptions to what I'm saying, but this has been my general experience.

Anybody else have thoughts on this, either agree or disagree?

2. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I'm 38 and I love historic firearms, but I did major in US History. I would tend to agree with you though. Many of friends don't understand why I would ever buy a SA Army clone or a 1858 Remington BP clone. The connection to history is lost on a lot of younger people.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Just wanted to ask- in the Civil War, which side had the AKs? And what kind of Glock did Wyatt Earp carry?

:D

Just my own theory on this- I call it sitting by the campfire. Back in the day, old men would sit around the campfire- drinking coffee or moonshine, and talk about guns, dogs, hunting, fishing. Hovering on the edge of the firelight, wondering just what moonshine tasted like, was an 8 yr old. He was hoping to go hunting that year, or the next- on his own. He drank in what the old men were saying. He got curious enough to go read.

But someone put out the campfire, and today the 8 yr olds are busy playing GTA and COD.

But I still have a campfire, and I have grandkids (and now TWO great grandkids) and they seem to derive some pleasure from an old man rambling about guns, and hunting, and dogs, and fishing. And I give them BOOKS about REAL guns- not the things on some video game. And take them to shoot the REAL things.

Hiding the battery for their damned phone helps.....:p

4. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

c3,,,, I feel pretty sure that Wyatt carried a Nighthawk 1911,,,,,,

5. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Sometimes their lack of knowledge of old stuff can get them hurt. I caught a burglar in my house a few (not that many) years ago, showed him my Ruger Super Blackhawk to discourage him from attacking me. He laughed and said, "What, you're gonna shoot me with that old-fashioned thing?" I said, "Yep". I'm much relieved that he didn't push the point and waited for the deputies to take him away. But it could've been a real tragedy if he'd been dumb enough to think a single action revolver couldn't hurt him.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  6. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I am in my early 20's and I will agree with y'all on this one. There is a disconnect between "my" generation and "y'alls" generation. Heck, I think just the kids 5-10 years younger than me ain't got a clue about anything because they are frustrating to talk to.

Much of this knowledge you are talking about is learned and then later stored as "wisdom". I am a learner, constantly googling anything I do not understand in order to learn more, but it seems that many times there is just not enough time in the day. I feel confident that by the time I reach that higher age mark, I will have a noggin filled with important stuff. In the meantime, from the younger generation to the older, please don't give up on us. Recognize those of us who have are heads on straight and are willing to learn, and then teach away.

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I know I sometimes hang out with the younger generation.

I know MX-PX, Antifreeze, The Offspring, and many other new

groups, but many of them don't know their musical roots.

They haven't heard of The Beatles, Hendryx, The Who,

Deep Purple(a strong influence to Blind Guardian, for example)

My parents were older, and grew up in the Swing Era, before even

Bobby Darin, Elvis, Dion, and Ray Charles. Fortunately I could make the

connection with the newer music to the older, because I played in

a dance band in school.

But I came up with Rock, and many youngsters aren't making any

significant historical connection to their own early music, either.

BTW, C3, The South had the AKs, and back then

the Glocks were made of wood...:D

8. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Actually, I'm seeing a lot of younger people who are discovering bands like Zeppelin, The Who, The Doors etc, because the music of their generation sucks and they know it.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'm seeing a few kids who are also finding Zepplin and The Who.

That's somewhat of a narrow claim for a broad range of music.

A lot of our music sucked, too, it just didn't survive till now.

Some of now's music is good, it just gets lost more easily in

all the noise.

Back to topic, I see many younger folks more receptive to

plastic and polymer pistols, and tacticool this, that, and t'other.

Perhaps a COD influence?

10. PappaJim

PappaJim New Member

I'm 37 and I have a 21 year old step son. Please don't try to figure out the math there because I really don't need the wife on my case again. But any way back to what I was saying. I thought growing up in the late 80's-early 90's would help me relate to the kid when I met his mother. 16 years isn't to far removed I thought. And I now know, that I back then I was thinking oh so very wrongly. I can never get use to his thinking that his generation invented everything. I'm Sorry but you didn't invent speed just because you drove your four cylinder Japanees rice burner to the parts store in 2010 and bought some new invention called a turbo. And nope, that cool new rifle you saw on your video game called an M1 Garand isn't something you kids thought up either.

11. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I'm 47, shooting since I was probably 7. I think I've only recently in the past few years really appreciated the historical aspect of different guns. I now own a Mosin Nagant that was made in 1934. It amazes me the quality and accuracy of such an old gun. My father left me a Browning FN 1910 that I truly cherish. I know that a pistol just like it was used to assassinate (whoops NSA watch word :( ) Archduke Ferdinand in 1914. My dad carried it when he worked in New York City back in the late 60s/early 70s. I read a few articles by Elmer Keith and Jeff Cooper and I know that they are respected icons in the firearms scene. I don't know the others but I'll try to look up some of their work.

12. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Shouldn't we just sew this thread on to the "Old Farts" thread that passed by here a week or two ago?

"BBBrrraaappppp!, excuse me!"

13. orangello

orangello New Member

My youngest nephew has thoroughly enjoyed the Remington NMA replica I gave him...after he got the double load out. :rolleyes:

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It all depends on where you were reared. Back in the days following WWII the country was less urban and more rural. Kids were allowed adult status as they were very often working and doing a mans labor by 12 years of age.
    American education had not yet been stained by left wing anti-gun teachers. Young men learned the basics of mechanics and understood simple chemicals.
    The use of firearms was considered a right of passage to adulthood. Our society today looks at firearms in dismay and considers firing a "Glock" sideways proper firearms handling.:(

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

is there a generational gap with the younger generation? i think it happens with ever generation. at 50 years old now, i tend to find myself more aligned with the older crowd now and my thought and veiwpoints follow along with the older generation.

i have done my young and dumb youthful escapades and have survived them. i still have the want to sometimes, but age and health restrict me now.

16. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I dont own a single gun that is less than 50 years old. Thats the beauty of good guns, they last and last! Ive fired most of the standard military weapons but have no interest in owning a single one of them, (Maybe a Mk19). My old guns have the DNA of a few generations of Family shooters on them and I think it helps them shoot straighter!

Im certain My Grandadies old M11 Remington 12 ga isnt very sleek but it tosses lead as fast and straight as any new scatergun.

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

A simple truth is old people don't know anything. Just ask a youngin' I wish I knew half as much now as I thought I knew then. :rolleyes:

I say it all the time. We really can not appreciate where we are unless we understand where we come from. I'm pretty lucky, I had a Dad that was part of the depression generation. He survived that to go off and fight in two wars (WWII & Korea). He helped me gain an unquenchable thirst for history. The first time I even seen a M1 (both of them) and a 03 Springfield I was in love and knew I had to have them.

Now I will admit I am kind of a tech junkie and love new gadgets. I always have, but I also have a deep affection for past gadgets The designing alone is many times notihng short od amazing when you understand the tech of any given time.

All this and I was still a young kid so I knew what I knew and no old person was going to say different. This didn't last real long though being I really got tired of the old man saying "I told ya so you, gourd head" So form about 18 on I went back to my child like way of wanting to hear every story anyone with gray hair wanted to tell me. Sometimes wisdom is thrust upon you weather you want it or not. and with that I have also learned the more I know the more I know I need to learn.

So now I turn 50 at the end of the year. I'm fast becoming the old guy that doesn't know anything. Just ask some kid....But you better ask fast. BEcause if he don't get off my grass I"m going to hit him with his own ball.:p

18. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Just thought I'd chime in since I'm part of that young generation (at 20). Y'all are completely right. Most of my friends and people I know are allllllllllll about that tacticool crap and only know about older firearms from video games. Yes I have an AR15, has iron sights and a quad rail. Nothing else, but my dream rifle is....ya ready? A M1 Garand followed by a nice Winchester Model 70 in 375 h&h. Yeah, wooden guns... Now I'm not saying I'm much better (even though I am :p ) but I do feel like there are a few of us youngin's that have grown up faster than most. Most of today's youth is just plain spoiled rotten. I can't talk too much because I have been blessed with a very nice car that was a gift from graduating high school from my grandparents but most of everyone I know still lives off their parents whether they live with them or not. They have no responsibility. I always get asked why I work so much when I could go out and party and I just look at them and ask if they want to pay for all my bills that I have such as my motorcycle payment or car insurance (that was the deal I made to get a new car for graduation, I pay the insurance). There is no appreciation in this generation for anything. They, and no I don't really group myself with them even though I'm part of it, expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. And yes, the music now SUCKS!! Sorry! Rant over..

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

It is very true that many kids today have an entitlement frame of mind. It irks me to no end when you try to do something nice for some young people and they act like I should have done it sooner or they where owed it. While I was laid up a while (spine issues) I let one of my wife's nephews use my music place. I have a small mobile home that is for storage and the living room has my drum kit, a bass & amp, a 6 string and amp. He actually come to me, while I"m laid up in the bed and tell me I needed to but more drum sticks as all the others where broken. Now I've broke my share of sticks. It comes wit hthe territory. But these things cost me just under 10 bucks a pair. I might have actually bought more but it was the demeanor of the kid. It was like I should just go do it because he can't play otherwise. I told him to buy some or not play and in a huff. This ....Future Marine couldn't wraqp his head around theidea that he had some responsibility in this.
    Now this was in the winter time and while I have electric in there the only heater is a kerosene heater. I explained that this heater had to be on and the room had to get to at least 50 degrees before he played. He didn't so I have a cracked 18" Zildjian cymbal!! :eek: Another thing he just can't wrap his head around. I might have said no big deal but I just bought the thing and 200+ bucks for a piece of brass that I now had to buy again:mad: He's mad because I wont let him play in there anymore. At least until he steps up and takes responsibility.

He ships off to basic in a week or two. I give him 2 weeks at best.

I raised my kids to respect themselves as well as others. I just can't get how this is such a strange concept.:confused:

20. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I guess im a weird youngin'....
    My cars all have carburetors and the newest gun I own is a Medusa... :confused: :eek: