Firearms Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the use of a side saddle on a mossberg 500 not recommended by the factory ? Because of the aluminum recover and the face that it is inside the gun?

·
Registered
601 Posts
You talking about a shot saddle, I have one on my Persuader.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they do anything to the gun that would mess with the gun internally or the reliability ? Or does it say anywhere that they are not recommended by the factory ?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have one on my 500 and have no issues with it at all, as far as being not recommended from the factory I have never heard of that. The one I got for mine fits it like it was made for it by mossberg themselves. I have the tacstar one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll post some pictures tomorrow if I get around too it and ill let you look at it too see if there the same kind like the one your talking about

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ok that works, I have put many on different models for other people, sometimes you have to make some minor modifications for it to fit and work right but that is usually rare, I will be able to tell more from a pic.

·
Premium Member
11,566 Posts
Is the use of a side saddle on a mossberg 500 not recommended by the factory ? Because of the aluminum recover and the face that it is inside the gun?
If it's not reccomended by Mossberg, it is probably because modification of the gun voids the waranty. Plain and simple. I know a lot of folks who have run side saddles on M 500s with absolutely no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have a 500 and 590A1 both have had side saddles on them for years without issue.
Never heard of Mossberg recommending against it. If they do it is probably a warranty issue. Or liability issue in case some idiot installs one wrong and hurts himself.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you don't want to have to make any modifications you can still install one on your gun, just use velcro, I have done it for guys that wanted to easily be able to remove them if they wanted to.

·
Registered
19,141 Posts
I have one on my 500 and have no issues with it at all, as far as being not recommended from the factory I have never heard of that. The one I got for mine fits it like it was made for it by mossberg themselves. I have the tacstar one.
What he said, no problems here.

·
Banned
446 Posts
I put a sleeve on the butt of my shotgun. Never a problem.
Not actually using that gun then. Those sleeves slip and slide all over the place. Get in the way.

If you mean a sidesaddle for sure then you do replace a factory screw and part here and there but the real issue on the 500's aluminum rec'r is the potential to overtighten these -- you must not overtighten or you will bind the action.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not actually using that gun then. Those sleeves slip and slide all over the place. Get in the way.

If you mean a sidesaddle for sure then you do replace a factory screw and part here and there but the real issue on the 500's aluminum rec'r is the potential to overtighten these -- you must not overtighten or you will bind the action.
Very true I forgot to mention that. On every one I have installed I just use a little loctite and just snug it real good, not too much, haven't had anyone come back to me and say theirs fell off or anything else. Or like I said earlier, use velcro, it works good too and you can detach if you want for any reason.

·
Banned
0 Posts

most of my shotguns use these type of holders and they work great for me.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts

The butt sleeve I use doesn't budge, even if I were to force with hand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts