General Questions

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by CRASH, Nov 1, 2008.

1. CRASH

CRASH New Member

Hi I'm new here (obviously.)

I've been wanting to get a 22 rimfire rifle for some time now and there is a new Ruger 10 / 22 on sale for 200 bucks this week at sports authority.

We would mostly use the gun for target practice and some varmint control.

I looked at the gun today and it looks and feels great.

My questions are would subsonic bullets significantly reduce the sound? We have neighbors and don't want there to be a fuss. We use pellet guns all the time and there's never been a problem. What bullets do you recommend?

The other question is about scopes. Does anyone have a recommendation for a scope for this gun. Everything we will be shooting will be within a few hundred yards, (300 max) I would think.

Thanks,

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  2. junho806

junho806 New Member

first of all welcome to the forum!
    :D
    as for the subsonic bullets it won't significantly reduce the sound
    it'll still produce a pretty loud crack
    as for your neighbors...how big is you backyard? bigger backyards tend to be better for shooting especially if noise is a concern
    since pretty much all bullets will sound pretty loud i recommend the cheap hollow points.
    as for the scope a nice 3-9x40 would be good
    hope i helped
    :D

3. CRASH

CRASH New Member

Thanks.
    We have a pretty good size back yard and open space behind, but neighbors on each side. In reading various web sites it seems like many people think the sound is significantly reduced by the sub-sonic bullets. So you've given me some pause.
    Thanks for the scope size - is there a particular brand that you recommend - I don't need anything expensive but don't want the cheapest thing out there either.

4. junho806

junho806 New Member

it'll still be like a cap gun going off
    it really depends on your neighbors like mine has two little kids so i try not to shoot too much
    or if your neighbors just plain hate you haha
    make sure your shooting up against a hill or something because heavens forbid if one your bullets were to ricochet...

i personally went with a tasco scope it cost be about $60 and it work great!
    got pretty tight groups with it
    its really up to you what brand you want and there's alot out there that are pretty good

5. bkt

bkt New Member

Check with local law enforcement about discharging a firearm where you live. In many areas, it's no problem. In others, it's illegal and will land you in hot water. Be safe, stay legal.

6. ghostndawoodz

ghostndawoodz New Member

"i personally went with a tasco scope it cost be about $60 and it work great!
    got pretty tight groups with it
    its really up to you what brand you want and there's alot out there that are pretty good"...........???????

Tasco yea that $60 bucks is exactly what your gettin bump it against the door on the way outside to shoot and u will see why its sixty bucks....If u buy the Ruger which i think is the only way to go for a affordable very reliable gun spend some scope money on a 3-9x40 bushnell or nikon optics are essential esp for smaller game and excellent accuracy.

7. CRASH

CRASH New Member

Thanks. Any thoughts on the sound with the sub-sonics?

8. ghostndawoodz

ghostndawoodz New Member

Well not really to be honest you could shoot shorts and they are quiet but not sure if the gun will discharge them good or take them....If they are cheap buy the sub sonics see what they do....but really the optics are essential and please dont get a damn tasco its like a tonka toy....Didnt mention but u could even get a redfield for a good price and an okay scope

9. CRASH

CRASH New Member

I agree and it is legal, I just want to be sensitive to the neighbors.
    Did you have any suggestions regarding the scope or the sound?

10. tuck2

tuck2 New Member

The sub rounds may not operate the action on a Ruger 10-22 Semi auto rifle. Get a box of various brands of ammo and try them. Every 22 rifle is a bit different. I have a Ruger 10-22 T with a Burris 6 X target scope. I have tuned up the trigger and got a thumb hole varmint stock for it. There are a lot of parts available for the 10-22 rifle and can be seen at www.rimfirecentral.com

11. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

The sub-sonics cycle both of my 10/22's with no problems. Reduced noise? Not really. Scope? Get a decent BSA scope with target knobs...they aren't very expensive but better than Tasco IMO. You might want to think about silhouette shooting with a local club or something. It's fun, and you'll learn the ballistics of the 22lr and it's limitations. 300yds with a 22lr? I seriously doubt it....the box might state the range is 1 mile, but you'd be aiming at the sky to do that. For most purposes, the 22lr maximum effective range is probably 125yds. That's not to say it wouldn't put a hole in you at 200yds but depending on where it hit, you may or may not need to go to the E.R.

12. CRASH

CRASH New Member

You've all given me some things to think about - thanks!

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Go buy a box of CCI CB Longs. They will NOT cycle your action, but you can hand feed them. Very quiet from a rifle, but with sharp limits on range- they are SLOW bullets, and drop a lot. As far as 300 yds- there are limits on 22 RF- 100 yds is stretching it for serious accuracy.

The 10-22 is an OK rifle- yes, you can customize it. Have said before, I am partial to OLD Mossberg 22s, but all 22s can be fun. :)

14. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Let's see where to start. Subsonic .22LR rounds will reduce sound signature by approx 50% due to the absense of the sonic crack. Yes,the various subsonic rounds WILL function normally in most clean 10/22s. I would reccomend a GOOD quality scope as not only will you not acchive your best accuracy,you'll also wind up replacing later anyway unless you do. Too many people think you can "get by" with a cheap scope on a .22. I would go with a fixed 4x or 3x-9x in nikon,weaver,burris,or 1 of the better lines of bushnell,and you can still stay within 100$-150$.
    10/22s are,in my opinion,the best .22 semiauto on the market-safe reliable,lasts a lifetime,VERY easily upgraded. You're NOT going to be doing ANY kind of accurate shooting at 300 yards with a .22LR. Have I missed anything?

15. Alpa11

Alpa11 New Member

One thing I would look out for is the plastic trigger groups that are found in these new 10/22 Rugers. For two hundred bucks I would want metal, but thats just me.
    I just finished building my custom 10/22 and I picked up a used 1970 10/22 that was in great shape for $150. Bottom line, look around! Best of luck.:D

16. stalkingbear

When did ruger switch over to plastic trigger housings? I've never seen 1 yet. All the 10/22s I've had in shop and all that I've ordered for people still have aluminum trigger housings.

17. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

just because it only cost 60 bucks doesnt mean its junk. irecently bought a scope for my recently purchased rem 597, which i would recomend u buy instead of the 10/22, anyway the scope works great and has alot of fetures on it like 5 ir settings in red and green so. but thats just one mans opinion

18. stalkingbear

HOW IN THE WORLD can you possibly think a remington 597 is better than the ruger 10/22? I've worked on both and the ruger design is CLEARLY superior.

19. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

the ruger has to small of a stock for me is more expensive and my 597 has a synthetic stock came with a decent scope that i quickly upgraded and has a good weight to it not to heavy not to light. but thats my opinion though. y do u prefer the 10/22

20. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The 10/22 is a great gun. On Sub Sonic ammo I have shot Aguilla 60grn Sniper Sub Sonic and it works great in my 10/22T and is about as loud as a regular 22 round. I have a BSA Sweet 22 6x18x40 on my 10/22T and a BSA Sweet 22 3x9x40 on my Savage 93 22 Mag and have been very happy with them.

Attached Files: