General question

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Benning Boy, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I know there are a ton of variables, but just a ballpark figure, if you had to make one: how many rounds through before a barrel is shot out?:confused:

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

its personal opinion and how well the gun shoots. my ithaca 1944 make 1911-A1 is nearly a smoothbore and it still groups better than brand new glocks.

mileage may vary

3. SHSBulldog06

SHSBulldog06 New Member

Precisely 21,678.43 shots. +/- 1.72 shots..sounds good to me anyways.

4. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Cannot answer that question without a lenghly reply. But here is a simple short one. Some barrel/caliber combinations will virtually never shoot out. Some small caliber rifles with very overbore cases don't make it past 500 rounds (or less).

Jim...................

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Agree with the Master above. Short of abuse, I don't think you CAN shoot the barrel out of a Marlin 30-30. But a .220 Swift, with HOT loads, VERY brief barrel life. The throat will leave before the rifling- erosion from gasses. Depends on a lot of variables. I do not even want to THINK how many rounds have gone thru my SMLE with the 1915 date on the wrist. We had range guns for M-60 training that each gun fired about 4- 5,000 rounds a week. For about 40 weeks of each year. Parts wore out- but barrels held up well.

6. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I read somewhere that an AK shoots out at 10,000, and other places suggest that roaches will be toting them after the Apocalypse.