General iron sight question

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by kmglocks, Apr 17, 2012.

1. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Ecently , i bought a dpms oracle and some magpul mbus gen 2 iron (plastic) sights. I mounted one to the rear and the other to my utg foregrip. Now it looks as if there's quite a height difference between the two sights. Any ideas on what I can do short of buying new sights? Thanks.

2. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I took a look at a DPMS Oracle. It uses a railed gas block which sits lower and requires a special front site (taller than "normal" and not polymer).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

foregrip as in the front rail system? the rails should be almost even across the entire top of the rifle. and the sights should be mounted right to that. not on any riser's or grips. perhaps im miss interpretating what your trying to say. a picture would be helpful.

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

if you have mounted your BUIS on the upper receiver and gas block and they are not at the same height than you need a taller front sight

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

You dont want to mount themagpul front to a gas block it will literally melt.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Is your front sight taller or shorter than the rear? If you mounted a reduced height gas block sight on a standard height rail it'll be way too tall. You'll need a standard height sight or move the tall sight back to the gas block.

Otherwise it'll be as described above.

7. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

I bought a utg handguard and it has 4 picatinny rails. The rear sight sits just higher than the front sighs thats mounted on the handguards, maybe a 1/2 inch and with sights thats alot of difference. By the way that front gas block with the pic rail on the oracle is uselss.

8. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

9. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Thank you for the picture. Hate to say it but this is what happens when you mess w/ airsoft accessories.

What made the gas block "useless?"

10. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Actually its dpms thst messed things up i believe, and raised their receiver rail.

11. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Are you sure? Even DPMS wouldn't be that stupid. Do you have a link?

12. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

They do make a raised rail upper receiver - http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=819&cat=1704 but I would think one would recognize that when buying it :confused:

From the pic it doesn't look as if the DPMS upper receiver is any taller than any other receiver. It looks like the handguard is smaller in diameter, resulting in a lower sitting front sight. If that is the case you can either get a proper diameter handguard or get a taller front sight.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  13. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Well that's what I get for giving them the benefit of the doubt. This is why I buy from companies who stick to common specs.

OP, sounds like getting a gas block specific front site would ease your troubles.

14. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a DPMS and the receiver height is normal. I have a 4 rail gas block that is lower than the receiver height. I have no problem with my irons matching up when attached to the gas block. My front sight is designed to go on the gas block and is the correct height. It does take a taller front sight but it is pretty much standardized. The lgs even had them in stock.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Have you shot the gun yet? And it won't zero?

17. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

On second thought I believe it's thr 308 dpms has a different rail heightbon "standard". Sorry for the misinformation.