Gen 3 vs Gen 4

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by jcd390, Nov 16, 2012.

1. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

Alright guys I want to hear your opinions on the Gen 3 and the Gen 4. I was going to buy a Gen 4 then I started reading about problems with the gun. Is there any truth to this? Thanks

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The only thing I've noticed is the change in the trigger group increases the trigger pull on them.

3. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

The old problems with the extractors are long gone. Theres a few minor internal diffrences, nothing that will stop you from fieldstriping and cleaning just as easily. The gen 4s have the removeable backstrap and extended/ambi mag release.
    Just take your pick really.

4. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

So all the issues with the slide ejecting the ammo has been resolved?

5. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Yea that's what I was saying, its the extractor. It was only when they first released em. It's long been fixed, I would buy a gen4 with no worries.

6. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

Okay great, thats for the clarification. However, if they do not have a Gen 4 whenever I go this weekend should I wait for one or buy the Gen 3 for less? I guess what I am asking is it worth the extra money for the Gen 4? Thanks

7. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

That's up to you basically. I personally have a gen 3 but only because the 4's had just come out when I bought it, like I said I wouldn't hesitate to buy one now.
    If they gen 3 grip feels good to you and you don't have a problem with the mag release, I'd save myself a few dollars an go that route. If you plan on switching the back strap or such maybe consider the 4.
    Neither one is better than the other, just what you want out of it. Which ever you choose you'll be happy with.

8. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

Thanks Gary! Ill let you know what I went with after this weekend.

9. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

No problem, enjoy!

10. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

Once the extractor and spring issues were resolved, they are GTG

11. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

I personally own all of the Glock generations and all are excellent handguns. There are no longer any mechanical problems with the Gen-4. Initially they tried a different type of extractor, which worked, but some had a tendency to throw the cases back at the shooter. The other problem was breaking the guide rod spring. Both these problems were resolved with reverting back to the old extractor and a new metal supported guide rod with a double spring. The grip checkering on the Gen-4 is a little more aggressive, which I like. The Gen-4 comes standard with an extended slide lock/release, which I had to change out on my other Glocks. The Gen-4 G-34 & G-35 also come standard with a 3.5# connector, also something I had to change out on my other Glocks. I really like my Gen-4 and would recommend it, as there is talk that it may soon only be available to law enforcement, but whether you want to pay extra for a Gen-4 is up to you.

12. pnice24

pnice24 New Member

Whats the best ammo to use in the glock 27 gen 3 ??

13. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

I assume when you say best ammo and since you are talking about a sub-compact handgun you mean defensive ammo? On this subject everyone is going to have an opinion.

I personally like the Federal Guard, which is an expanding full metal jacket bullet. The front interior cavity of this bullet is filled with polymer with interior straps connected to the base of the bullet. Upon hitting a target the bullet nose crushes inward and the copper straps hold it firmly to the base. The concept of this round is a lighter bullet moving very fast. The bullet expands very fast even through bone, which hollow points tend not to do. It expends it's energy on the target and is less likely to over penetrate and injure an innocent party. The lighter bullet also produces less recoil and muzzle flip allowing for a faster recovery for a second shot. The full metal jacket configuration eliminates feeding problems common with many hollow points. The best web site for more bullet testing details and comparisons is brassfetcher.com. I have run my own test on this bullet and it is now my choice for concealed carry.

If you are talking about practice ammo, then what ever is less expensive, non-lead that feeds well in your gun. Walmart usually has the best prices on ammo, but a limited selection.