Gen 3 or Gen 4?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Izenrok, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Izenrok

Izenrok New Member

I am looking into a 23 as I am applying to an agency that has it as its firearm of choice. I would like to practice first as I'm pretty green in the shooting world. Should I buy a Gen 3 or Gen 4? Is the extra $ worth the G4?

2. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

Gen 3 0r 4

Do you need an indicator to inform you that there is a round in your chamber?

3. Kevin1047

Kevin1047 New Member

I'm new to th forum,but my choice is gen 3 all the way in price with standard sights $499.99.My gen 3 27 is my baby and I'm going to purchase a gen 3 23 in a bit,my research on gen 4 is that you can release mag left or right,and the width is only about a 1/16th thinner so I'll stick with gen 3 of course add night sights or laser sights for less money

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Go handle them both before you decide. I bought a new G23 a few months back and compared the Gen 3 and 4. It didn't take long to pick, Gen 4 all the way. The multiple backstraps make all the difference and I do like the new RSA. (The latest version is 0-3-3 so look for that if you buy a Gen 4.)

No regrets at all, the 23Gen4 is great and I do have an older generation G22 to compare it with.

The Gen 4 is about $35 more but you get an extra magazine (3) so that and the new features offset the price.

But handle them and decide for yourself, either is a great gun.

5. PrinC

PrinC New Member

I had a keen interest in the Gen4 until I was told there are issues with them at the moment. I have decided to settle for the Gen 3 as parts are readily available and it has been time tested for reliability.

6. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

Havent heard of any problems but i do have a gen 4 and like it but i have held lots of glocks in my hands and settled on the gen 4 because of price was right

7. leper65

leper65 New Member

There are some threads on other forums with some Gen 4's having issues with the new extractor and recoil spring assembly (RSA). They have a voluntary RSA replacement program going on now too...

Glock Gen4 voluntary Recoil Spring Assembly replacement - AR15.COM

Most of the complaints were ejected cases bouncing off the shooter's forehead and a few Stovepipes/FTE's. Some sent their guns back to Glock and some bought a Lonewolf extractor which fixed it. There are more details over at ar15.com, glocktalk and others....sounds like they are gettting it sorted out

My G19's ejected brass is hitting me in the forehead. Whats the problem? - AR15.COM

8. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I agree with Quentin. For me I like the Generation 4 better, because of the larger magazine release, MBS (Multiple Backstrap System), and the texture on the frame. You should go to some shops and see which Generation will fit the bill.

9. Sgt01

Sgt01 New Member

The Gen4. Makes a great duty gun even better! Concerning cost, the Gen4 guns come with 3 mags instead of 2, so it's pretty much a wash.

10. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Gen4 FTW! Got myself a G19G4. Next week im getting the G23G4.

11. PrinC

PrinC New Member

Update. I purchased the Gen 3 Glock 35 in 40 caliber and I am very happy with it. The dealer gave me two extra magazines for it, knowing I will be using it for competition purposes after a few modifications.